Gransnet forums

Chat

BBC in hot water.

(31 Posts)
Sarnia Wed 23-Dec-20 10:35:31

It seems the BBC have spent just short of £84,000 on tea and coffee since November 2019 until October 2020. I thought they would have had less staff in the offices during this time. How much do they spend when all the work force is in? Takes the biscuit. Perhaps a few of those have been thrown in as well.

Maggiemaybe Wed 23-Dec-20 16:52:26

^Grandma70s
Can’t believe anyone would make a fuss about this.

Same.^

And same here.

I once worked for a company with a tea lady who came round with a trolley of free drinks and goodies, including warm pasties and sausage rolls on a Friday. Those were the days.

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 16:20:17

Mince pie?
?

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 16:19:52

Now I'm feeling sorry for all the technicians sitting in darkened basements putting on old videos for our entertainment.

I think they do deserve endless brew and proper choccie bikkies.
Even a mine pie or two

Blossoming Wed 23-Dec-20 16:03:43

Grandma70s

Same.

trisher Wed 23-Dec-20 15:03:01

I once served as a liaison between a voluntary organisation and a large company, I had to attend board meetings. They served very nice buffet before the meeting.

Eloethan Wed 23-Dec-20 13:58:10

What else can be dug up to pillory the BBC?

Doodledog Wed 23-Dec-20 12:51:57

Jane10

We always had to cough up each week for ours. NHS. Don't see why BBC staff don't.

If nobody could have any small perks simply because someone else had been denied them we would be in a plummeting race to the bottom, and everyone would suffer.

Some companies subsidise canteens, have Christmas parties, or incentivise productivity with prizes etc. Should all of that be banned because people working for stingier employers don't get those perks?

The logic is the same as expecting everyone to be paid the same - 'I only earned £X - don't see why 'they' should earn £Y'.

I'm all for a fairer society (and FWIW I worked in the public sector with very few perks - we even stopped getting diaries to use at work as we were expected to use our own smartphones) but I'd rather more people got little treats than ban them to make it 'fair'.

I'm not a fan of differential perks where some employees can travel First Class on business trips and others in the same company get the bus; but differences between employers are inevitable unless we move to a much more authoritarian society where things like that are enshrined in law.

EllanVannin Wed 23-Dec-20 12:32:27

I remember paying tea money when I worked for the NHS.

trisher Wed 23-Dec-20 12:21:13

Shandy57

I used to work at the Beeb in the early 70's, we had to pay for our tea/coffee etc from the trolley.

Maybe they actually make a profit on the 84k then.

Grandma70s Wed 23-Dec-20 12:19:31

Namsnanny Wed 23-Dec-20 12:12:58

It's never an even playing field.
The higher up you go the more 'free' stuff you get.
Starts with tea and biccies, ends with holidays and cheap mortgages.
Ban the lot I say, and a merry Christmas to all!!wink

Shandy57 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:09:31

I used to work at the Beeb in the early 70's, we had to pay for our tea/coffee etc from the trolley.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 23-Dec-20 12:08:33

It's probably so dusty looking through the archives they need to 'wet the whistle;

Elegran Wed 23-Dec-20 12:03:14

Sorry about the lack of a V in overheads. My keyboard has started being lazy about Vs and Xs (and sometimes Zs). Usually I notice and thump harder on the key, but I missed one.

Elegran Wed 23-Dec-20 12:00:32

Tea and coffee are a staple oerhead of any business which has a lot of visitors! They probably supply a cuppa to everyone who takes part in a progremme as well as to all their staff, so the employees on average get a lot less than £4 a year spent on them. I don't grudge it them. Now slap-up meals in expensive restaurants for celebs . . .

12Michael Wed 23-Dec-20 11:47:02

When you places in Manchester as well as locations in London as well, think they still have a small force using the BBC television centre in Shepherds Bush, unsure about World Service at Bush House of the strand, have ben past the Langham Place main London operation which as a 24/7 operation plus others dotted around regional studios .
Mick

Jane10 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:44:32

We always had to cough up each week for ours. NHS. Don't see why BBC staff don't.

moggie57 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:40:32

the BBC need a good dunking in their tea ...

Granny23 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:36:32

When we were taking turns to sit with DH in hospital, the nurses brought us many teas or coffees, always with biscuits. However we learnt that they were not allowed to make themselves a cuppa, had to sprint the length of the huge hospital to Costa Coffee and buy an overpriced one for themselves. Madness!

Galaxy Wed 23-Dec-20 11:28:25

I couldnt care less. Lots of companies supply free tea and coffee. I worked in a childrens care home, strangely enough we got free tea and coffee as did anyone who visited.

trisher Wed 23-Dec-20 11:14:18

I don't begrudge anyone £4 a year's worth of tea or coffee. But how is this broken down. Does it for example include tea and coffee served in green rooms for guests on shows? Is it staff? Or executives? Or board meetings?

Spangler Wed 23-Dec-20 11:07:15

Did you know that prepared food, soft drinks, sweets, chocolate and dietary supplements such as sandwiches and crisps sold from vending machines are taxable? So too is any sort of meal or drinks concession.

So licence payers are not only subsidising BBC employees drinks, they are paying the tax due on those concessions as well, or o it seems.

Callistemon Wed 23-Dec-20 11:06:51

I try to buy it when it's on offer.

Charleygirl5 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:06:34

I agree Callistemon I watched a repeat the other day, 2001 so they would have to delve into the archives.

I either brought my own or contributed. Usually the former when I shared an office with one other- she only drank tea. We also had to bring our own milk.

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Dec-20 11:04:53

Well I must say we have never drunk so much tea and coffee in our lives as we have this year and it all seems to have gone up a lot in price or is that my imagination?