Gransnet forums

Chat

Food names still being used

(22 Posts)
Ijustwantpeace2020 Sat 02-Jan-21 17:07:57

A bit like the baby words thread - using words from years ago - calling foods by other names known only to your family and friends. We (occasionally) have gypsy toast - its bread dipped in egg, fried in butter and then sprinkled with sugar! Not very heart healthy but lovely and quick.

SisterAct Sat 02-Jan-21 17:14:51

My mum used to make ‘Poor Man’s Pie’ - corn beef hash

SuzannahM Sat 02-Jan-21 17:17:40

SisterAct I've never heard it called that but I make it occasionally and we love it.

Tomatoes in our family are called 'squidgies', for obvious reasons, named by me when I was about 6. I haven't eaten them since.

SisterAct Sat 02-Jan-21 17:32:11

Mum said it came about after the war when it should have been made with minced beef but tinned corn beef was cheaper !

BBbevan Sat 02-Jan-21 17:42:57

We used to call Gypsy toast, Batman toast. My DS would eat it then. We still call it that

ixion Sat 02-Jan-21 17:49:43

My Grandma's specialty in the 1930s apparently, with a family of husband and five strapping sons to feed, -
Windmill pie - if it goes round, you can all have a piece!

JackyB Sat 02-Jan-21 18:05:56

My mother, who was a brilliant cook, used to make what we called "pot mess" when we were camping or holidaying on boats. A sort of corned beef stew. It may be a Naval term.

Septimia Sat 02-Jan-21 18:35:28

'Bread and pullit' (?pullet) was my often mum's answer when asked what was for dinner - 'I'll give you the bread and you can pull it'.

Nell8 Sun 03-Jan-21 13:16:37

My Dad used to call mince "wee beefies"! I think it was a translation from Gaelic.

Grannybags Sun 03-Jan-21 14:18:16

We still call satsumas "fatsumas' as that's what our youngest son called them

Smelly on toast = sardine and tomato spread, much loved by eldest son when he was little!

growstuff Sun 03-Jan-21 14:20:37

Ijustwantpeace2020

A bit like the baby words thread - using words from years ago - calling foods by other names known only to your family and friends. We (occasionally) have gypsy toast - its bread dipped in egg, fried in butter and then sprinkled with sugar! Not very heart healthy but lovely and quick.

It's called "Zigeunerbrot" (gypsy bread) in German.

janeainsworth Sun 03-Jan-21 14:42:11

If my mother was fed up with being constantly mithered about what was for tea, she would answer “3 jumps at the cupboard door!” shock

Ailidh Sun 03-Jan-21 15:46:22

We had Eggy Bready- the bread dipped in egg and fried but no sugar.

Cowboy Supper was bacon and beans on toast.

And best of all, Hairwash Pudding - I think its real name might be Durban Pudding but the roll of sponge/pastry? was laid in a pie dish and had milk poured over it from a cup (a blue teacup, wow, the memories that can be sparked!) before baking. My brother remarked it was having its hair washed, and the name stuck.

Hellogirl1 Sun 03-Jan-21 15:48:09

Does anyone know why smoked haddock, the yellow (dyed?) one, has always been called Finny haddock in my family, right from when I was a child?

Marydoll Sun 03-Jan-21 15:59:11

We called them, Finnan haddies.
The name comes from the Scottish town of Findon and the slang word for haddock. In the 1800s in Findon, fishwives hung lightly salted or, as Down Easters would say, slack-salted, haddock in their chimneys to be smoked gently over peat fires.

GrandmasueUK Sun 03-Jan-21 16:03:51

We always said Finnan Haddies too.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Jan-21 16:22:17

I remember the " finny haddy " as we called it. Also " wet nelly " which was a heavy sort of a fruit cake that we had with custard. Still don't really know how mum made it grin

I also don't know if it has another name either.

EllanVannin Sun 03-Jan-21 16:25:07

I don't think you'd find it on a menu hahahaha.

kittylester Sun 03-Jan-21 16:29:37

My dad used to make eggy bread with sugar - wish I had known it was called gypsy bread!

EllanVannin Sun 03-Jan-21 16:43:24

Mock cream was another ancient delight whatever concoction that was, but we had it.

biba70 Sun 03-Jan-21 16:45:36

I've gone right off Eton Mess !

Nannagarra Mon 04-Jan-21 10:24:21

My cousin, now a retired professional baker aged 89, sent me the following brief recipe for Wet Nellies.
Take a sheet of pastry 30” by 18” and roll it out onto a tray. Spread scraps of cake mixed with apricot jam over pastry. Cover with another sheet of pastry, egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake. When cool, cut into pieces.
(My dad used to send me to the family bakery for a W. N. - his sister’s smile made me think I was innocently being cheeky or an innuendo was involved! A bit like being asked to buy a pound of elbow grease.)