Gransnet forums

Chat

Tougher lockdown measures to be announced on t.v at 8pm tonight

(69 Posts)
sharon103 Mon 04-Jan-21 15:39:42

The prime minister will make a televised address at 8pm to address the rising cases of COVID-19.

Parliament is also set to be recalled to sit on Wednesday, Downing Street confirmed.

Scotland is in tougher lockdown as from midnight tonight

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:22:55

The South African variant is a further worry - being more diverse from the original than our 'new variant' - and maybe not stopped by present immunisations!

Sparkling Mon 04-Jan-21 18:23:51

I do wish that people had obeyed the rules, it’s not easy shopping friends or neighbours that you have always got on with, seeing them blatantly doing just as they always did, it is awful to see when you are alone, but you can’t shop your neighbour can you? I wish heavy fines were introduced for law breakers.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 18:31:42

Sadly 1,000 deaths reported in Germany today. This virus is spiralling everywhere it seems.

Thank god a vaccine is on the horizon.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 18:34:55

But Swiss health minister Alain Berset said today that he would not bow to pressure to close his country's ski areas, according to Reuters.

"Switzerland does not react to pressure from other countries," Berset told reporters.

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:35:50

Sparkling, under present circumstances - yes, you can (and really should) report anyone who's gambling with the lives of others!

Think about it. Would you rather be friendly, forgiving, neighbourly and polite - or survive?

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 18:46:20

From 28th December 2020:
RESTRICTIONS AND REQUIREMENTS IN METROPOLITAN FRANCE
A nightly curfew is currently in force in metropolitan France. Between 8PM and 6AM you may only leave your residence for the following reasons and with an exemption certificate:
Commuting to and from work, school or training place; carrying out essential business trips that cannot be postponed;
Medical appointments that cannot be carried out remotely or postponed;
Essential family reasons, assisting vulnerable persons, persons in a precarious situation or taking care of children;
Persons with a disability and their accompanying person;
Judicial or administrative summons;
Participating in a mission of general interest upon request from an administrative authority;
Air or rail transit related to long distance journeys;
Walking a pet outdoors within 1km of one’s place of residence and for a brief amount of time.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 18:48:00

Sorry I’ll stop now it’s boring to read probably. I just wondered how we stacked up in comparison.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Jan-21 18:51:58

Basically Urmstongran European Countries are all struggling, juggling liberties versus COVID-19.

It saddens me to think COVID-19 is winning at the moment.

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Jan-21 18:52:39

Urnstogran I don’t know how we stack up, but the curfew didn’t stop the rave of 2,500 in Brittany.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Jan-21 18:54:42

It’s so worrying isn’t it? I don’t think any country has the answer and the virus likes the winter cold.

Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing.

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 19:09:01

Pittcity

Boris is just following the sc ience ottish.

Yup

lemongrove Mon 04-Jan-21 19:17:36

GrannyGravy13

Basically Urmstongran European Countries are all struggling, juggling liberties versus COVID-19.

It saddens me to think COVID-19 is winning at the moment.

I agree, it is saddening, just as we thought things were looking up.
I think we all expected tough new measures.

Casdon Mon 04-Jan-21 19:31:36

We are 5th highest in the world in the UK currently, and the worst in Europe. Here’s the link: www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Calendargirl Mon 04-Jan-21 20:21:33

Good to hear Keir Starmer totally supporting the new lockdown measures, and telling the public to get back to the ‘spirit’ the country had in March.

Lucca Mon 04-Jan-21 20:24:58

So silly to not do that before kids went back today. Cruel to little ones so excited to go back,

Katyj Mon 04-Jan-21 20:55:50

Agree Luca. Totally unnecessary putting teachers and children at risk for one day ! When he said on Sunday that it was perfectly safe ?

Jaxjacky Mon 04-Jan-21 21:00:13

Urmstongran I agree, all countries are struggling, it’s horrendous for everyone, including those ‘in charge’.

Galaxy Mon 04-Jan-21 21:06:41

Well of course Starmer will support them, he called for them.

vegansrock Mon 04-Jan-21 22:16:30

Johnson called for pupils to go back on Sunday then midday Monday decided to have a press conference. Seems like the best predictor of whatever will happen next it whatever the government say won’t happen will happen within a week or two. they are always behind the curve playing catch-up. Total shambles for schools having so little warning.

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:26:05

Dither, U turn, delay, change minds etc. - brilliant isn't it?

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 22:33:46

Casdon

We are 5th highest in the world in the UK currently, and the worst in Europe. Here’s the link: www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

30th if you look at cases per million of population, which is more meaningful.

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 22:36:47

And we are 18th when looking at the number of tests carried out per million of population, which also has a bearing on the figures. Many of those cases will be asymptomatic.

Casdon Mon 04-Jan-21 22:51:57

That’s why I posted the link in case people didn’t know where to look - every permutation of the figures at is there. Whatever way you cut it we are not doing well in the UK.

Hetty58 Mon 04-Jan-21 22:52:27

The excess death figures can't be altered or argued with. We've lost so many!

Maggiemaybe Mon 04-Jan-21 22:58:38

The Worldometers information seems to be generally reliable. I don’t understand though why news reports today say there have been over 1,000 deaths in Germany, way above the number shown on Worldometers.