Gransnet forums

Chat

Invisalign ( or similar)

(11 Posts)
Hejira Thu 14-Jan-21 20:23:08

I had a crossbite which made me very self conscious. I hated to smile or laugh as my teeth were so ugly.

I lost count of the number of dentists I consulted over the years all of whom said my teeth were impossible to fix with standard orthodontics. I was referred to a dental hospital where a surgeon told me it was a problem with the alignment of my jaw. He said I needed surgery to break my jaw and reset it followed by possibly two years of unsightly metal braces. I was told I might suffer long term pain as a result of having my jaw broken. As you might imagine, I decined the treatment.

Thank goodness, orthodontics moved on. In my early 50s, I met with a new dentist who said there was absolutely no problem with my jaw. He was confident that my teeth could be fixed with Invisalign.

The procedure was simple. Impressions were taken and sent to a lab in California who worked out where the teeth needed to be moved to and how long it would take. Sets of invisible aligners were moulded to sit over the front teeth. These were changed every two weeks as my teeth moved. My treatment took eighteen months. I would see the dentist every two-three months to check progress. I had roughly 40 sets of aligners in total. They were almost imperceptible when worn and didn’t affect my speech.

I wasn't cheap. Some cosmetic work was needed at the end to fix where the crossbite had caused uneven wear to my front teeth. Invisaligns and cosmetic work cost around £4000 altogether but was worth every penny for the lovely smile it has given me. That was ten years ago.

My teeth were considered to be a challenging case. Yours may be less so therefore quicker to fix and less costly.

chelseababy Tue 12-Jan-21 16:04:08

I had it on upper teeth about 3 years ago. Keep in for 22 hours a day. £3000. Half up front then rest in instalments. Worth every penny as I hated my crooked teeth!

lemongrove Tue 12-Jan-21 14:44:58

DD has Invisalign a few years ago ( her teeth looked good before she had the course) but they are film star perfect now!
It was hard going mind you, the braces are more or less invisible but you cannot snack during the day, just breakfast lunch dinner and the braces go back as soon as you have eaten and cleaned teeth.

BigBertha1 Tue 12-Jan-21 14:33:31

Mmm I see I need to think long and hard about this.

BlueBelle Tue 12-Jan-21 13:31:35

Wow nice money to make !! I really think dentists are looking for anything to make money out of I don’t even trust half the treatment they advise, even NHS dentists seem to find all sorts of ‘fillings’ or realignments etc etc every time you go
The last dentist I was given (mine moved on to London) suggested two things I ‘needed’ when I said I d wait and see she completely lost interest and I was out that chair like a cannon ball out the cannon

JGran Tue 12-Jan-21 13:22:18

I have Invisalign. I am only 8 out of 40 liners in. I love it. My teeth were causing me issues because they were so out of line, but these things are like magic. It is more about you. Yes, he may feel like they aren't perfect, but are they causing any issues. Honestly, if mine hadn't been so out that some days I could only eat soft foods, I probably wouldn't have spent the $7,000. 00 US I had to spend, but not having daily headaches is worth it.

Jane10 Tue 12-Jan-21 13:21:46

My DD had Invisalign transparent braces but they don't have a permanent effect and she had to move to old fashioned ones. I think she still has metal things attached to the backs of her teeth. (I never actually thought her teeth were that bad!)

Mapleleaf Tue 12-Jan-21 13:16:31

Sounds like your dentist is after making lots of money out of you. Be wary.

BigBertha1 Tue 12-Jan-21 12:46:07

Wow- that's a lot of landscape gardening which I would rather have.

petra Tue 12-Jan-21 11:11:25

Looking on line costs range from £1,500- £5,000.

BigBertha1 Tue 12-Jan-21 11:04:28

I visited a new dentists yesterday - very different to my previous very good dentist. this one did a FULL assessment, x rays and photographs and although he said everything was fine he recommended Invisalign (or similar brand) and I have to say I see his point re my lower teeth which have moved about it after a couple of extraction. Can anyone tell me if they have had this and do they recommend it - cost would be helpful too please?