Gransnet forums

Chat

Which high Street shops do you miss the most past /present

(185 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 12-Jan-21 20:45:55

I’m meaning before covid! I think mine will always be woolies, Bhs, C&A

Froglady Wed 13-Jan-21 21:15:36

pollyolly

Not a High St. shop but how I miss Tommy Ball's shoes and clothes in Blackburn. Floors of Clarks seconds shoes, from baby's to adult's at rock bottom prices. Being able to buy my four children new school and best shoes there saved me a fortune and I always had the latest shoes for next to nothing.
And well known outdoor branded clothes at ridiculous prices,
£4 for full length down filled coat! Still wearing 30 years later!

I miss Tommy Ball's as well. I live about 5 minutes away from where the bottom shop was and used to find lots of b bargains there . Thanks for reminding me as I had forgotten about it.

jerseygirl Wed 13-Jan-21 21:36:15

BHS, woolworths, c&a, Richard shops

Naninka Wed 13-Jan-21 23:53:18

Wallis, Sheltons (Peterborough), Lewises (Leicester) and the Two Dollar Shop and The Warehouse (New Zealand).

JackieBee1 Thu 14-Jan-21 08:07:15

Camelotclub - how lovely! smile

Franbern Thu 14-Jan-21 10:06:46

C & A and BHS.

I do wonder if there will be any shops left in High streets by the end of this year.

tricia12 Thu 14-Jan-21 10:18:41

Biba

Laughterlines Thu 14-Jan-21 10:37:15

JaneJudge

Yes it was Etams! smile My Mum would shop at the front and I would head to the back...any men would hang about outside grin it was brilliant

We used to call Etam - everything to attract men. C&A we called Coats and ‘Ats. I was A Saturday girl at C&A. I used to earn 50p for the day, but you could buy a lovely pair of pearlised high heels in Manfield shoe shop for £2.19.6d ( approx £2.95).

GrannySquare Thu 14-Jan-21 10:43:52

Borders...browse & a brew.
M&S food halls...why, oh why, oh why?
Biba...still yearning.

Laughterlines Thu 14-Jan-21 10:45:33

Kate1949

In Birmingham we had The Beehive and Marshall and Snelgrove.

In the last war my Mum was an Air Raid Personnel warden in Birmingham. Marshall and Snelgrove had their shop windows blown out by a bomb. My Mum had to walk up and down to prevent thieves stealing stuff. As a schoolgirl I was nervous to go in there as the shop was so posh and the assistants so heavily made up and snooty. There used to be a lady in the window repairing nylon stockings.....

essjay Thu 14-Jan-21 11:54:08

Lewis's and blacklers in liverpool. woolies - i remember in the hot summer of 1976 they had a complete counter filled with strawberries. macfisheries. i also miss mfi - ist home furnished from there with discount coupons from newspapers and after divorce furnished with more upmarket furniture

humptydumpty Thu 14-Jan-21 12:17:42

Another vote here for Borders - I really miss this. Replaced by huge Tesco (did we really need another supermarket?)

Also like many others, Woolworths. And local non-chain store Boswells.

Ilovedragonflies Thu 14-Jan-21 12:58:27

Definitely Woolies, I loved that shop! It had an atmosphere all its own and nothing else has ever compared with it.

Nightsky2 Thu 14-Jan-21 13:40:59

tricia12

Biba

Those teeny skirts, loved Biba’s.

Nightsky2 Thu 14-Jan-21 14:05:25

Laughterlines

Kate1949

In Birmingham we had The Beehive and Marshall and Snelgrove.

In the last war my Mum was an Air Raid Personnel warden in Birmingham. Marshall and Snelgrove had their shop windows blown out by a bomb. My Mum had to walk up and down to prevent thieves stealing stuff. As a schoolgirl I was nervous to go in there as the shop was so posh and the assistants so heavily made up and snooty. There used to be a lady in the window repairing nylon stockings.....

Laughterlines.
Kate1949.

I had a temporary job for a few weeks only in the summer of 1967 in Marshal and Snelgrove in Oxford Street in their jewellery department. I enjoyed it and it helped pay the rent on the flat I shared with friends in Primrose Hill. The best years of my life, what fun we had and where I met DH. I had almost forgotten that very short period in my life. London was such a wonderful place to live at that time.
I wasn’t snooty at all?

rowanflower0 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:03:31

We had a John Lewis 'At Home' (no clothes, beauty, etc ) open in our town about 4 years ago - lovely to browse in, or buy online and pick up there, plus a great cafe.. It closed after the first lockdown - I miss that terribly.

Sara1954 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:15:37

Miss East most of all, the new online store is not half as good.
Also miss The Pier, especially at Christmas .

Sara1954 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:18:56

Arsenal67
I remember Snob, I bought a big furry coat in there, in probably ‘71?
They seem quite fashionable again now.

Kate1949 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:20:57

Oh yes Laughterlines Marshall a&, Snelgrove was very posh.

Billybob4491 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:40:06

Martin Ford

TrendyNannie6 Thu 14-Jan-21 22:34:49

Yes arsenal67 I used to work not far from snob boutique in Cambridge many years ago

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Thu 14-Jan-21 22:47:56

BHS their shoes always fitted me and I could wear them straight away no issues. Always bought my winter boots from there, never found any as neat, comfortable without looking frumpy and just the right height heel. Loved their coats as well?

jct1 Fri 15-Jan-21 09:26:35

Laura Ashley

kissngate Sat 16-Jan-21 12:12:51

Freeman Hardy Willis
Stead and Simpson
Chelsea Girl
Etam
Principles
Clock House C&A
The Pier
Comet

Sara1954 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:06:01

Anyone remember a shoe shop called Sasha (don’t think that’s spelled correctly) gorgeous colourful suede platforms

MawBe Sat 16-Jan-21 13:18:28

Too many to mention and indeed most people have mentioned them already.
But I really miss a small independent clothes shop in a nearby small town called J’s (or Jays?)
Ginny may know where I mean. Its owner had an eye for smart, often quirky, unusual things for grown up women - labels like Adini, and I think even Two Danes and Grizas.
She was not cheap, cheap but very reasonably priced and I can honestly say I never went in without finding something I liked (and usually bought)