Gransnet forums

Chat

Which high Street shops do you miss the most past /present

(185 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 12-Jan-21 20:45:55

I’m meaning before covid! I think mine will always be woolies, Bhs, C&A

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jan-21 10:29:09

Oooh yes... Marshall and Snelgrove and Chelsea Girl...

NotSpaghetti Wed 13-Jan-21 10:28:14

House of Fraser for practical shopping reasons in my current town.
Kendals (Kendal Milne in Manchester) from my early days. I know it's still there but it's definitely not the same.
Biba from my youth..
Lidl since spring last year. Wish they did deliveries!

Annma Wed 13-Jan-21 10:27:59

Going way back in time Chelsea Girl was a great teen fashion shop. Timothy Whites ,Richards Shop, C and A,East, Habitat,there are so many stores that are no longer with us.

aonk Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:53

I’m showing my age here maybe but I loved the old fashioned department stores. I used to visit my grandmother and she took me to Bobbys in Folkestone for tea. There was a pianist playing a grand piano and she once arranged for him to play happy birthday for me! I also loved the stores in Oxford Street and Regent Street and nearby. DH Evans, Marshall and Snelgrove, Debenham and Freebody and Dickins and Jones. There were many more. I was a student in London and didn’t have much money but I so loved wandering around these beautiful shops.

Paperbackwriter Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:32

Strangely I don't miss any shops at all. But if I want something to wear I do miss being able to feel the fabrics. Buying online is one thing, but there is sometimes the disappointment that the fabric is a long way from how you imagined it would be. Those disappointments get sent back immediately.
Actually - come to think of it, I do miss being able to go to Designers Guild on the kings Road. I love it in there.

pen50 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:26:26

Another Laura Ashley Home mourner here. Also Richard Shops, Habitat, East, the Pier... Even <whispers> some of MFI.

Teddy123 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:25:21

I loved the homewares in BHS. We also had an out of town BHS with only 'home' stuff. Nice coffee bar there too.

stanlaw Wed 13-Jan-21 10:24:10

A bit weird but reading these posts I immediately remembered the unique smell of The Pier shops!

Hildagard Wed 13-Jan-21 10:23:54

Definitely East, their clothes such good quality

Phloembundle Wed 13-Jan-21 10:23:47

Woolworth and BHS.

Arsenal67 Wed 13-Jan-21 10:22:37

Anyone remember Snob?

helgawills Wed 13-Jan-21 10:20:12

Got a down filled anorak bought in C&A in 84, been wearing it for dog walks. Excessive rates killed the store here in Nottingham

Laughterlines Wed 13-Jan-21 10:01:01

Heals. Could spend a whole day in there as a newlywed. Also Cranks and their lovely salads.

Lucretzia Wed 13-Jan-21 09:56:47

Gosh yes, I'd forgotten about Clockhouse

I got a pair of black dungarees from there. Worn without a shirt underneath! What minx I was.

Also in Liverpool there was a small boutique called Bus Stop. I think. Got loads of fabulous outfits from there.

Nannylovesshopping Wed 13-Jan-21 09:56:22

I loved the Pier too, bought some lovely things there?

Curlywhirly Wed 13-Jan-21 09:54:05

Really gutted that Laura Ashley has gone (don't miss their clothes) most of my house is furnished by them (most of it bought in the sale, of course!). Loved mooching in Woollies and really miss Saxone and Dolcis. Also so sorry that Karen Millen and Coast no longer have high street shops, I could always rely on them if I needed a posh outfit. I know they are online, but nothing beats trying on lots of outfits in the shop; I really don't fancy ordering numerous outfits, then finding none are suitable, then having the faff of repacking and returning it all (I am small and find it hard to get anything that fits!).

Casdon Wed 13-Jan-21 09:53:19

Not so much clothes shops, but I miss Habitat, The Pier, and the General Trading Company.

Poppyred Wed 13-Jan-21 09:38:34

IKEA..... can’t wait to get back in there! My DH hates it. ?

Humbertbear Wed 13-Jan-21 09:33:53

Our local high street is now just hairdressers, nail bars and coffee bars. We don’t even have a decent restaurant - just a couple of chains. I definitely miss Woollies (we don’t have Poundland), the toy shop, the book shop, Dorothy Perkins and a choice of shoe shops as named above. I loved C n A and carried on shopping and there in Paris when we used to go for the weekend. A couple of years ago I bought my winter wardrobe in C n A in Prague.

JanetG Wed 13-Jan-21 06:33:41

Woolworths. I loved it.

Arsenal67 Wed 13-Jan-21 06:21:06

Ashley!

Arsenal67 Wed 13-Jan-21 06:20:53

Mourning Laura Ashely here

Juliet27 Tue 12-Jan-21 21:37:19

BHS, Peter Robinson, Richard Shops

Mollygo Tue 12-Jan-21 21:32:39

M0nica I’d really miss Wilko and the pound shops if they closed. TK MAXX is fun to walk round, but it’s definitely a ‘get it or regret it’ shop, because you can’t rely on seeing something you like next time you visit

tanith Tue 12-Jan-21 21:29:45

I worked at C & A when I left school I bought my wedding dress there and plenty more I really miss it. Woolies of course and shoe shops.