Gransnet forums

Chat

Customer service falling short

(4 Posts)
Foxglove77 Thu 14-Jan-21 17:07:17

Not sure if other Gransnetters have noticed this but recently I have experienced poor responses from customer service helplines. There seems to be a pattern, the advisor takes your call and then after one or two questions states "sorry our systems are down, can you try later and then hang up". I wonder if these advisors are working from home and just say this response for an easy life. I've had the same problem with our water company, mobile phone company, pension company and others. I've tried taking their name first but it still happens. I hasten to add that other advisors have been lovely and helpful, usually if I explain what just happened, and I wondered if others had come across this too?

GagaJo Thu 14-Jan-21 17:10:24

I agree, very hit and miss. If you get someone good, you're in luck and even if they can't help, it is for a logical reason. With others, you're stuffed.

I had one tell me 2 weeks ago, 'We don't have a complaints system.' Sure. I found it myself by Googling.

Auntieflo Thu 14-Jan-21 17:40:50

I had a letter from Boots opticians saying my eye test was due. A phone number was printed on the letter, in large print, in case you missed it. I rang, and was informed this number was no longer in use?
So I rang Boots. This was a huge mistake, as I got into a circular "conversation" with a recorded voice. Every option I chose to press, took me round and back again to the beginning

I was supposed to be able to speak to a person, if I held on. If I hadn't hung up I would still be there now.
Who on earth writes these programmes?

Esspee Thu 14-Jan-21 17:47:00

When you get into a loop with these call handling systems try calling back and not pressing any of the buttons. There is sometimes a back up system which routes you through to a real person.