Gransnet forums

Chat

I feel really old now!

(83 Posts)
Riverwalk Fri 15-Jan-21 08:21:02

I've just received my first Winter Fuel Allowance - surely it only goes to very old vulnerable grannies, not me!

Don't know whether to laugh or cry grin

Witzend Fri 15-Jan-21 10:57:23

Goodness, @Esspee, I must ask my elder sister and BiL about that - they’re partial to Saga cruises!

Dh and I once saw a very weary and worn out looking party of Saga customers, sitting in a hotel foyer with their suitcases all clearly labelled. It was in Hermanus, on the S African Garden Route - we’d been looking for accommodation and had just turned down the only room they could offer, since its only view was over a car park.

I’d assumed that they just weren’t enjoying their holiday very much, but maybe they were exhausted from all the shenanigans!

nipsmum Fri 15-Jan-21 11:16:09

I didn't know you get £300 when your 80. I will reach 80 in April this year. That will be fine to look forward to at the end of the year.

Froglady Fri 15-Jan-21 11:18:18

Charleygirl5

Make the most of your fuel allowance and bus pass because I do not think we will have either this time next year. I noticed my £10 Christmas fuel allowance had slipped in. That amount must take a lot of money to administer and why it had not been added to the other amount is beyond me or is that too simple and trying to save some admin costs which must be considerable.

It might take too much paperwork to put the two together - I've had the £10 Christmas money for quite a few years now and only got the Winter fuel allowance about 2 years ago when I started getting my state pension. So the system would have to include some people but not all. Probably easier just to leave it as two separate payments.

Quizzer Fri 15-Jan-21 11:21:22

I worked for the then DHSS back in 1972. The Christmas bonus was £10 then, when it was more than some weekly pensions. I am afraid it hasn't quite kept up with inflation!!

Poppyred Fri 15-Jan-21 11:28:58

Teddy123

I remember being thrilled to get the winter fuel allowance. For the very first time to receive money from HMGov...... Wow! Every little helps though the fuel bill here currently stands at £174 per month.

Even more excited to receive free TV Licence when Oh was 75. That didn't last long ?

Wow that seems a lot! Ours is half that amount!

Pippa22 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:32:57

What is the criteria for the £10 Christmas bonus as sure I don’t get it. Is there a criteria ?

EllanVannin Fri 15-Jan-21 11:33:37

NannyJan I was born a week too late to get £300 sad. It's for those born before 24th of September---mine was 3rd of October. My luck, I might have known grin

Grandmabeach Fri 15-Jan-21 11:34:24

Witzend

Goodness, @Esspee, I must ask my elder sister and BiL about that - they’re partial to Saga cruises!

Dh and I once saw a very weary and worn out looking party of Saga customers, sitting in a hotel foyer with their suitcases all clearly labelled. It was in Hermanus, on the S African Garden Route - we’d been looking for accommodation and had just turned down the only room they could offer, since its only view was over a car park.

I’d assumed that they just weren’t enjoying their holiday very much, but maybe they were exhausted from all the shenanigans!

They probably were exhausted Witzend. We got talked into joining two friends on a two centre Saga holiday. We consider ourselves fit 70 year olds but it was ridiculous. Three hour coach journey to one site with only quick comfort break on the way. Once there another quick comfort break then two hours walking around ancient site and town. Six hours from breakfast before we could even stop for a coffee. Delayed in traffic on the way back so straight into dinner and so it went on - no time to enjoy the ambiance of places visited. Never even got the hotel with beautiful view we were promised. Instead stayed in one with wires hanging out of walls. Will never travel with Saga again.

Glasgo Fri 15-Jan-21 11:52:30

At nearing 70 I don’t even think of myself as ‘grown up’ let alone old, until I look in the mirror, which is as little as possible.
I worked with ‘older adults’ in social work for many years. I tended to view clients as people without attaching a label.
Hopefully will feel ‘grown up’ one day!

schnackie Fri 15-Jan-21 11:53:33

I have received the winter fuel allowance for several years now and whilst I do not consider myself poor or vulnerable, every penny goes on my fuel expenses. I live in a small flat with no gas connections. Heating with only electric heaters is very expensive.

Kate1949 Fri 15-Jan-21 11:58:03

Pippa I believe the £10 Christmas bonus goes to everyone who is drawing a state pension. It goes into my bank in December.

Pippa22 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:03:55

Thank you Kate1949, perhaps I don’t look at my statements well enough!
I remember years ago hearing the Christmas bonus being discussed on the radio and people saying they bought grandchildren’s Christmas presents with it. Either that conversation was a very long time ago or presents were very modest.

Froglady Fri 15-Jan-21 12:10:01

Pippa22

What is the criteria for the £10 Christmas bonus as sure I don’t get it. Is there a criteria ?

I think I started getting mine when I got Disabled Living Allowance. I thought that every state pensioner received it but I may be wrong - don't think it is means tested.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:20:30

No things like fuel allowance don't make me feel old.

I have worked and paid income tax, so I feel entitled to them.

What did make me feel old at 69 was hearing a nurse say, "I must go, I have promised to help an elderly lady downstairs".

Admittedly, she was speaking to a new mum in the obstretics ward of the gynaecological dept. but all the same...

Bazza Fri 15-Jan-21 12:27:35

What made me feel old was the realisation that all doctors and policemen are twelve.

Kim19 Fri 15-Jan-21 12:35:48

Bus driver was remonstrating with a pair of teenagers who were messing about and suggested they could have easily knocked over that old woman near them. I seated myself upstairs in the mindset of. . I didn't see anyone else get on. Took a while for the penny to drop. Have had many a laugh at that over the years. Yes, I am now MUCH older!!

pensionpat Fri 15-Jan-21 12:35:52

I think the £10 Christmas bonus is paid to everyone on a state benefit or pension.

Sophrosyne Fri 15-Jan-21 12:49:03

Oh Bazza I totally agree, in fact, I actually refer to my doctor as the 12 year old! In Greece all men over the age of 18 must serve in the Armed Forces for 9 months. At the age of 65 it struck me that the majority of them look like young gauche school boys. This would have been the age of some of our young men who fought in WW1 & 2 sad

lemsip Fri 15-Jan-21 12:59:16

Bazza. I recall going home after a Gynae appointment and telling friends the doctor looked about thirteen!.....I was only in my 50s then . ha ha

Nannagarra Fri 15-Jan-21 13:01:44

I enjoy the perks which have come with age although I haven't used my free local bus and train pass since February for obvious reasons. Two months ago it was replaced by a national bus pass.. I can but dream...and came (finally!) with my state pension (reduced). I now find I'm not entitled to a Winter fuel allowance! Grrr.

Cabbie21 Fri 15-Jan-21 13:05:40

I have had my WFA for a few years now, but it doesn’t make me feel old.
I told my daughter we are getting a new shower and will get grab rails fitted too. She said” but they are for old people”. I instantly felt years younger, as she doesn’t think of me as old.

henetha Fri 15-Jan-21 13:22:10

I am old and I look old but I don't feel old. I feel about 35, that's a nice age to be.
I get the WFA now, plus that odd little £10 which seems strange.

claresc0tt Fri 15-Jan-21 13:27:02

I love getting the £200 fuel allowance. Means I don't worry about the cost of keeping the house warm. It's nice to have something back at pension age for all the years of work we've put in.

claresc0tt Fri 15-Jan-21 13:27:39

PS I did wonder what the £10 was?

Theoddbird Fri 15-Jan-21 13:28:42

It did not make me feel old. I just accepted it ad being part of my pension