Gransnet forums

Chat

Ok we can’t travel just now but

(67 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 16-Jan-21 09:38:27

What are the 3 best places you have ever been outside your own country?

tidyskatemum Sat 16-Jan-21 10:24:38

Travelling down the Mekong in Laos
Vienna
India

nanna8 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:30:37

I loved the Mekong,too only we went to Vietnam and Cambodia. I have heard Laos is wonderful - on the bucket list!

Gransey Sat 16-Jan-21 10:30:55

Rio de Janerio - Brazil, for Carnival, a beautiful, vibrant city.

Havana - Cuba, for Salsa lessons in a lively group with professional dancers.

Spain - the Camino de Santiago, walking 500 miles from France, staying in hostels, meeting wonderful people. This is the one I want to do again.

Kate1949 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:40:37

Sparklefizz No we didn't unfortunately. We didn't know about that but would have loved it, having visited Pompeii and Herculaneum in the past.

Nell8 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:45:41

Corsica early season - Hills covered in fragrant shrubs. Blankets of cyclamen growing in pine woods. Stunning beaches, some with pink sand.... Herds of goats roaming free and wild tortoises bumbling along paths. We've been twice and still have lots to explore.

Missfoodlove Sat 16-Jan-21 10:48:22

Vulcano
Ireland
Slovenia

nanna8 Sat 16-Jan-21 11:36:10

Haven’t heard of Vulcano - is it Italy ?

Ellianne Sat 16-Jan-21 11:38:26

Provence - for light and colour
Vienna - for elegance
New Zealand - for scenery

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Jan-21 11:43:25

Kate1949

Sparklefizz No we didn't unfortunately. We didn't know about that but would have loved it, having visited Pompeii and Herculaneum in the past.

We were there for 2 weeks so bought a guide book. Apparently the subsequent tsunami after the volcanic eruption was reckoned to have washed everyone out to sea, so no preserved bodies, but the pumice and ash had preserved much of the whole settlement. Before the eruption the people traded with the Minoans on Crete, who were also destroyed by the same tsunami.
(end of history lesson grin )

We had a volcanic tremor while we were there!

BlueSky Sat 16-Jan-21 11:47:46

Only three? Paris, Bordeaux, and Taormina. Next on my list Athens, Santorini and Vienna. I love Europe!

Kate1949 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:04:34

Sparklefizz I won't tell my DH about that. He'll be annoyed! I think we were just so thrilled to be there we didn't investigate enough. I never thought I'd get there. They need a bigger airport though.

nanna8 Sat 16-Jan-21 12:13:47

Europe is so far for us, the thought of travelling all that way with a mask on is offputting. Everywhere except lovely New Zealand and Fiji etc is far really so we tend to go to Asia and the Pacific. Vanuatu is nice. Of course there’s Bali, parts of that are wonderful if you avoid Kuta.

Sparklefizz Sat 16-Jan-21 13:03:05

Kate1949 I agree about the airport. Maybe you'll manage to go back there one day and see all the bits you missed.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 13:05:01

BlueSky

Only three? Paris, Bordeaux, and Taormina. Next on my list Athens, Santorini and Vienna. I love Europe!

So do I !

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 13:06:52

I spent three months in. Bordeaux as a student though which I didn’t much enjoy....my landlady didn’t like Brits because we burnt Joan of Arc!!

Sunlover Sat 16-Jan-21 13:08:19

South Africa
Croatia
Turkey

moggie57 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:10:49

connecticut usa /florida/ and missouri . ok not countries but places.

Bellanonna Sat 16-Jan-21 13:12:08

Too difficult to choose 3, but for a start -

Sheep’s Head Peninsula in Cork
Unspoilt areas of Crete
Italy, especially Sicily, the wonderful Dolomites, and many places in between, including Lucca.
Oh and someone mentioned the Camargue, but that would be 4!

Casdon Sat 16-Jan-21 13:24:03

Florence is definitely my favourite of all time, although I love everywhere I’ve been in Italy, it is outstandingly beautiful and interesting.
Barcelona
Chicago
And closer to home and definitely more achievable to visit this year, Three Cliffs Bay on the Gower

Kate1949 Sat 16-Jan-21 13:45:56

Hopefully Sparklefizz smile

B9exchange Sat 16-Jan-21 13:48:27

So difficult!

Antarctica - completely different world
Machu Picchu at sunrise
Doubtful Sound in New Zealand on 24 hour private boat cruise

BlueBelle Sat 16-Jan-21 13:51:42

Penang where I lived, Russia for its difference, and Bali / New Zealand for scenery

BlueSky Sat 16-Jan-21 19:35:41

Wow Lucca you lived in Bordeaux! Did you say you lived in Paris on another thread? Bordeaux was a revelation, I knew it was beautiful but didn’t expect it that beautiful! And Provence of course and Corsica, still on our to do list! Personally I wouldn’t travel any further than Europe, I do visit Australia but only because my DC and DGC live there.

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 19:56:24

Yes I spent a year in Paris between school and university and the Bordeaux thing was part of my university course !
Ditto ! I’d be happy with Europe but visit Sydney as my son is there. I don’t much like it if I’m honest ?

Scribbles Sat 16-Jan-21 21:47:48

Valkenberg
Dinant
Épernay