Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(66 Posts)
12Michael Sun 17-Jan-21 06:20:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but looks cold and dry here in Brackley this morning, I did have a Chinese Take Away last night , first one for a few weeks.
Today, small shop , as I need potatoes whether Jacket style or just normal small size will steam with Brussel sprouts I have of the frozen bag type with a steak pie in the oven .
Otherwise a quiet day watching TV , trying to avoid the ongoing repeated programmes .
I did get an email from the organiser of the coach trips , I do he is aware that many who use him , have had the vaccination , but would not consider running any trips with restrictions on coach numbers and face masks and hopes for some form of normality when ?
Take Care,
Mick

Megs36 Sun 17-Jan-21 18:51:58

Pleased people are getting vaccinated, however I’d like to say it’s not a silver bullet and it’s still possible to catch the virus and pass it on which is why we are told to still Take Care.
The vac may stop vulnerable sufferers getting. quite so ill.. I think a lot of people think you won’t ‘get it’ if you are vaccinated.

Gagagran Sun 17-Jan-21 18:33:08

Thank you for your kind thoughts - much appreciated.

It's the knock on effects of his illness that underline the problems the NHS is suffering from. All the colleagues he has been in close contact with in the hospital will need to isolate. It makes you realise why there are such large numbers of NHS staff off work. What a buggeration cv is. I am proper fed up of it.

Tonight I do not feel like being calm and patient about getting through it. I feel like shouting and stamping my feet and having a proper paddylarum ( as my Mum would describe a tantrum).

Stilllearning Sun 17-Jan-21 14:28:51

Will be thinking about your Sil Gagagran and your young friend dragonfly, hoping for a quick recovery for both.

brook2704 Sun 17-Jan-21 13:53:15

Sorry to hear your SiL tested positive gagagran hopefully he doesn’t get too poorly with it

Litterpicker Sun 17-Jan-21 12:46:49

Sunny here in West Sussex. Started reading earlier but Zoom worship and marmalade interrupted. I have now forgotten what weight of oranges I put in yesterday. Found 3lbs in garage so hoping it was 3lbs prepped. Now to add sugar.
Liked your drone dream, Beechnut. Have accepted one of your smiles, Scentia and laughed at Ashcombe saying “it makes people wonder what you’re up to......!”.
Sorry to hear of Gagagran DSiL and Dragonfly young friend with Covid-19. Hope it will prove mild for both.
My DD1 had vaccination yesterday and had side effects of fever and nausea last night but as she works in adult social care she’s not complaining about a day of discomfort compared with having some protection (it was the AZ one). She felt better after a shower this morning and has gone for a walk.

Blossoming Sun 17-Jan-21 11:40:36

Good morning all, no plans for today. Just catching up on everyone’s news. The weather is better today, unfortunately this means the car park is filling up with visitors so may not get out for a walk. I do wish people would consider those of us that live here before deciding to come here for their exercise.

Grandmabatty Sun 17-Jan-21 11:34:05

*I'm sorry to hear thatGagagran I hope it's a mild dose. Take care of yourself too.

Auntieflo Sun 17-Jan-21 11:26:29

Good morning Mick, Annie, and all. Just want to thank you all for the continuing good wishes.
We have just finished listening to our on line service, and it was lovely this morning, with one particular favourite hymn for both of us, and we ended up in tears. Anyway himself has made me a coffee, and gone off to have a Face Time chat with a mate. He does miss meeting up with all and sundry, as do most folk I guess.
It is bright and sunny here, but cold, so before it clouds over again, I will go for a (Probably) very short walk, round the block, to blow away the cobwebs.
As I haven't had time to read all the posts, I will pop by later and catch up.
Best wishes to all who are struggling.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Jan-21 11:25:22

Best wishes to your DSiL, Gagagran and I hope he doesn't suffer too badly.x

Gagagran Sun 17-Jan-21 11:18:06

Just had the news we did not want - DSiL's covid test is positive so they are all in isolation now until 26 January providing no-one else gets it. Will be longer if they do.

I have offered to pick up a click and collect for them but she says it's not needed - yet. Just hope he recovers and the rest of them don't get it.

DGD3 who had a positive test the week before last is now clear and they are allowed OUT today. DS is very happy about that.

Meanwhile, we have to do our best to keep safe whilst waiting for our jabs.

Stilllearning Sun 17-Jan-21 11:12:29

Morning from S Lanarkshire, somehow I’ve been busy so will read posts later. Yesterday the weather cheered up for a couple of hours and my bubble daughter phoned and said to drive over right away and we could go for a walk, which I duly did, first time I had been over the door since I came home from hers on Boxing Day, previous attempts having been abandoned due to treacherous conditions near me. Understandably loads of people had the same idea and the quiet country road was busy which, to my dismay, I found quite agitating. We turned off onto a very empty road and I really enjoyed a good walk but am shaken at my reaction to ‘crowds’,it really wasn’t that bad. Roll on the vaccination before I become a total recluse, truly not my natural persona.
Good wishes to all for the day.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Jan-21 10:46:53

Good Morning All x.
Well it was sunny first thing---what happened ? It's clouded over quite rapidly just as I was beginning to feel perky. However it's milder at 6 degrees so that's something to be thankful for I suppose.

Still so much sadness abound and this virus doesn't help matters. Grandmabatty, Dragonfly,*Auntieflo*, Norsat, Marydoll to name but a few, are in my thoughts xx.

Half my dinner today was cooked yesterday in the form of a boiled ham which produced a delicious pan of pea soup yesterday. I polished off a couple of bowls and half a small loaf grin It stuck to my lips, so warming. The ham is for dinner today with mashed potatoes, carrots and parsley sauce---mustard on the side of course, so that'll fill a hole.

It's all about keeping well and this is my way. I don't do so badly. I poured a couple of serving spoonfuls of what's left of the soup over the old stray Tom's cat food this morning and he licked his lips so it must have gone down nicely. He's a big cat and needs filling. Curled up in his kennel outside now.

Looking forward to the ice-skating later, of which will take us over the next few weeks, for those who enjoy the programme of course. I'm another one wishing my life away as someone mentioned.

Mick and his coach trips reminded me of friend and I who used to plan them from one year to the next with Shearings taking us overseas. I've lost count of the places we visited but all were enjoyable. So glad we went when we did.

May get a quick visit from D, I don't know. I've got a couple of things for her to do such as posting cards off to Oz and vouchers to spend at M&S with a list of groceries etc. to go in the freezer.

It's brightening up again now so I'll get cracking with my elevens's and get stuck in to tidying up and washing my breakfast plate and cups.

Thinking of all not having the best of times and hoping things will ease. Gilly's always in our thoughts too.x
Take care everyone and keep safe.xx

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:32:42

Good Morning from sunny (and thawing) Harrogate. Going on a coach wouldn't be a problem Marydoll if both you and DG were vaccinated? It's a lovely trip on the railway from Portmadoc, does it go to FFestiniog?
I'm hoping to be vaccinated by April when we go to Llandudno, missed it last year, obviously. My sisters and cousins join us, so it's quite a family gathering.
Yesterday I spent doing nothing, trying to get hold of Virgin Media, on-line they told me to phone and phoning they told me to go on-line!! very frustrating. DH got his apple watch and I failed to get it working - will try again today.
DD2 collected my shopping from Sainsburies, she said it was bedlam, double booked, probably with all the others who were left out of the deliveries!
Baking today, and virtual church.
Keep well, and keep safe everyone!

Nannagarra Sun 17-Jan-21 10:23:15

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is 7C and quite bright. Roast chicken in the slow cooker today. I’m late to slow cooking so any recipes you’d like to suggest will be gratefully received.
The vaccination programme seems to be going well, days are getting longer and the birds are singing more now. Reasons to be cheerful.
Auntieflo flowers. ?Gagagran and dragonfly.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 17-Jan-21 10:12:44

Good morning Mick and all

Blue sky and sunny but definitely chilly!

No plans (becoming a thing)

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

Urmstongran Sun 17-Jan-21 10:07:59

* stepfather had jab - not Himself.
?

Urmstongran Sun 17-Jan-21 10:07:14

Good morning everyone from a lovely sunny South Manchester. Forecast is sunny tomorrow too so will walk with my friend again and Tuesday & Wednesday show heavy rain again.

My stepfather is coming for lunch , roast chicken, Himself is peeling the veg and I’d better go and make the stuffing after this cuppa. He had his jab yesterday! Should have swapped the days over, couldn’t see the grandchildren in the park yesterday as the rain was torrential here most of the day. In future I will do ‘Sunday dinner’ on a Saturday and then (like today) we could ensure seeing the grandchildren once a week. Such a shame I didn’t put my thinking cap on.

Well, this Pollyanna has booked 10 days in Ibiza for June. One lives in hope. We can always cancel if need but it feels wonderful to have a holiday to look forward to!

Ashcombe will be playing her piano as I tap this out in my pj’s still. Best get a wriggle on ...
#lazygran

Football matches (yes pleural) for Himself later so he’s a happy bunny.

Hope Sunday is kind to us all. Trying times for you dragonfly I hope you feel better soon. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

hulahoop Sun 17-Jan-21 10:05:12

Good morning from a much brighter west/Yorks snow more or less gone so a walk on the books later . ?To all having a worrying time .

Kalu Sun 17-Jan-21 09:45:46

Good morning all from a milder Glasgow and no sign of snow remains.

Must be a day to potter about in the garden for a while at least. Just to be outdoors makes a huge difference. Presents to wrap as it is DH’s birthday tomorrow, also a rummage about in my craft stash to design his card, no popping out to the shops to buy one.

Another FaceTime with GDs last night keeping me up to date with their latest news. I’m lucky if I get a word in so I mostly sit back and listen as both girls talk non stop. ?

Have a pleasant day all.

BlueSapphire Sun 17-Jan-21 09:43:14

Hello and good morning from a brighter and sunny ? Northampton. I can actually see blue sky for a change!

More of the usual today; read the weekend papers, do the puzzle pages, catch up on tv programmes. Have got some sausages in the oven for a late brunch, and a pork chop is thawing for dinner tonight.

Managed to get quite a lot of knitting done yesterday, and look forward to settling down with it again this afternoon. Have already started searching for another project, and found a nice chunky cardigan pattern, but the required wool is all out of stock.

Will go back now and read everyone's posts, and may pop back in later. Take care and stay safe everyone.

Mapleleaf Sun 17-Jan-21 09:37:46

Good morning all,

So lovely to see some sunshine this morning and all the snow just about gone. It was treacherous underfoot yesterday as the snow had frozen over, and footpaths or side roads don't get gritted at all here - just what hospitals don't need right now is lots of people being admitted with broken limbs!

I had my flu jab yesterday. The first one ever, and must say I was very impressed with the organisation at the surgery.

So sorry to read about your young friend, Dragonfly and pray he has the strength to fight it.

A worry for you, too, about your DSiL, Gagagran and hope that the tests come back negative. Poor man must be absolutely exhausted.

Yes, it's nice to think about holidays, isn't it? We have one booked for much later in the year, which we carried over from last year, but of course it all depends upon where we are with Covid by then. Fingers crossed that it will be ok, but only time will tell.

Take care everyone.

Grandmabatty Sun 17-Jan-21 09:31:54

Good morning all from Polmont. It looks dry at the moment but low clouds have drifted in and it's only 1 degree so a tad nippy. I'm hoping your sil just has a cold Gagagran as I'm sure you are too. And wishing your friend lots of healing thoughts Dragonfly. Not much happening here. I decided not to go to Aldi yesterday and have a Tesco delivery coming today instead. I nipped up to dd and sil served me a bacon roll. Da WhatsApped me at night with a photo of his Greek dinner, the swine! I love Greek food. Today I shall be pottering gently. I have a dusting to do and a hoovering to go. It's like a song! I've taken lentil soup out of the freezer for lunch and Tesco are bringing me a roast beef dinner. I never buy ready meals but decided that I would have a treat of not cooking. I'm a bit down in the dumps as there are a number of unhappy things going on. Son in law has lost his job because of covid, his father has to have a very serious operation this week and there's been a relationship breakdown in the family too. I know that I can't alter any of that but I'm sad anyway. Heigho, January is notorious for feeling low. grandmafrench I would love a walk on the beach and a caramelised onion tart! Both sound delicious. Take care all.

baubles Sun 17-Jan-21 09:20:48

Good morning Mick, morning all from S Lanarkshire where there’s not a drop of snow left and the sky is streaked with beautiful shades of pink.

I hope your DSiL tests negative Gagagran and best wishes to your friend dragonfly.

I had a lovely long FaceTime call yesterday morning with my DD, she propped her iPad up in various places as she tidied around her house. The children came in and out of view at various times, squabbling about doing their chores or asking questions. It was lovely, as if I was sitting in her kitchen chatting as she got on with things. Much later, yesterday evening the eldest DGD FaceTimed me before she went to bed to blether about nonsense and to show me the Polaroid camera she had been given at Christmas. She took photos of us both on her screen and was able to show me the results as they developed. A very happy Grandma I was.

DH is out with the pooch and then will go for the papers, make a pot of coffee and ensconce himself in the armchair. I’ll potter about until I give myself permission to sit down with my book, a throwback to my mother who had to have all the housework done before she’d sit down.

Wishing you all the best of days and thinking of everyone in pain or sadness. thanks

harrigran Sun 17-Jan-21 09:20:17

Good morning from a bright, dry NE.
Had vaccination last night at .7.30, I have never felt so vulnerable, the place was heaving.
I just got home when DS did a video call, he was checking to see we were okay after our outing.
Got to see our lovely GDs on screen, they have grown up so much over this last year.
A day with the newspaper and crossword beckons.
Stay safe.

Grammaretto Sun 17-Jan-21 09:18:30

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders. We still have snow lying but birds are busy so Spring can't be too far away.
I am beginning to be quite lonely now, rattling around in this house on my own and not able to see anyone. I go out with a friend for a walk each day but we are busy keeping upright or watching our footing on the ice. I dream of the day when we can have a nice cup of tea indoors, in the warm!

I have Zoom church this morning and a Zoom catch up Gaelic class this evening.

DD's first week of home schooling her 5yr old (and 3 yr old) was awful apparently.
I am glad that your DS has enlisted your help Marydoll

Dreaming of holidays is a lovely thing to do. I think my next one will be 2022 . I still haven't retrieved our fares from Ryanair from last Summer's non-event.

That is very sad about your young friend Dragonfly I hope it is symptomless.

Try to have the best day you can especially those with worries. gagagran