Gransnet forums

Chat

a friendly chat- let's make a list of PROVEN Brexit bonuses

(99 Posts)
biba70 Mon 18-Jan-21 13:04:07

We could number them to make it easier to discuss later. No opinions- just proven Brexit benefits- just facts.

paddyanne Mon 18-Jan-21 14:10:44

timetogo Britain was the sick man of Europe before we joined ,the pound was pegged to the US dollar ....your rose tinted specs maybe need a clean!

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 14:14:29

I'm not sure how old timetogo is, but I am 69 and throughout my childhood, my parents and their friends talked of their wish to join the Common Market / EEC as they thought it would be better for us.

I'm 71 and have much the same memory of that time.

I am really surprised someone is offering the ability to bend the rules as a "Brexit Bonus". I would have thought, now we are a third country with no say in their rules, that would not be allowed to happen.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 14:16:56

Well, I thought my point about not having to pay for yet more politicians salaries and expenses was a good one, but nobody wants to comment on that.

It’s not really a thread about the benefits is it?

Kamiso Mon 18-Jan-21 14:18:49

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Namsnanny Mon 18-Jan-21 14:18:51

MawBe

Alexander von Schoenburg, editor-at-large of Germany’s biggest-selling newspaper, Bild, wrote recently: “The sclerotic and sluggish EU machine has botched the roll-out of the vaccines…delays, in-fighting, national self-interest and sheer bungling bureaucracy have combined to cripple the EU’s vaccine efforts.”

Granted, only his opinion ......
Might I tentatively suggest this is an area where the U.K. has done better in going it alone?
<? ? behind sofa >

I was too scared to quote him Mawblush
Also read Juliet Samuel, a remainer who is of the same opinion

One German and a remainer unbiased enough to keep a clear head.
Perhaps the world isnt so crazy afterall!

Jane10 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:19:35

growstuff Mon 18-Jan-21 14:21:35

It will be easier for the super rich to pay tax, so they'll join the fish in the happy corner.

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 14:27:52

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a post that has since been deleted. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 14:31:03

One more time.

We don’t have to pay for MEPs salaries, expenses and benefits.

That has to be a plus.

merlotgran Mon 18-Jan-21 14:31:52

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:36:30

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a post that has since been deleted. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Namsnanny Mon 18-Jan-21 14:39:06

lemongrove Mon 18-Jan-21 14:41:13

Kandinsky Mon 18-Jan-21 14:41:17

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 14:42:48

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 14:49:12

Peasblossom

One more time.

We don’t have to pay for MEPs salaries, expenses and benefits.

That has to be a plus.

Sorry Peasblossom, but we won't benefit. We now have to pay for all the things the EU did and set up our own systems. We will also end up paying out compensation to businesses who did not know it would be like this because that is not what they were told. It's that or lose votes. They, like some Americans, believed lies that were told time and time again.

GillT57 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:53:05

It still doesn't hide the fact that there have been no proven tangible benefits of GB leaving the UK. Yet. Could be of course, but not yet. Even the Daily Express has run out of ideas. Still I am happy to wait.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 14:55:15

What’s the phrase? Ceci n’impeche cela. Or something like that.

The things you’ve said may be true but they have no connection with paying MEPs.

So in the midst of all the things that may be detrimental, here is a tangible benefit. We don’t have to have MEPs and pay them. Often for doing nothing.

PippaZ Mon 18-Jan-21 15:08:22

You are right, Peas blossom in that, regardless of what I countered, your statement it is true. However, I didn't actually argue that it wasn't correct that we wouldn't be paying them, but is it a benefit? That was what the OP was looking for.

In order to carry on a relationship with the EU post Brexit, it will cost us more in the way that I said. At what point does all this actually move into the positive - if ever? Considering the lose of trade it may never be better not to be paying MEPs.

GillT57 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:12:10

We don’t have to have MEPs and pay them. Often for doing nothing. I completely agree with you Peasblossom, Farage was a fine case in point there with his lack of attendance at the Fisheries committee meetings. Not paying an MEP salary for him and Anne Widdecombe is definitely a benefit of leaving the EU. There, I knew there would be something to be positive about.

vegansrock Mon 18-Jan-21 15:16:26

However, we won’t actually save any money as Brexit with all the additional costs will cost more than our membership. We’ve already spent more on Brexit than the 40 years of membership.
There is the £350m a week for the NHS though.

Casdon Mon 18-Jan-21 15:19:24

Removing Nigel Farage from a position of influence is a definite benefit, I’d be surprised if many people disagreed with that to be fair.

Oldbat1 Mon 18-Jan-21 15:23:35

Well this post has been on for over 2hrs now. I’ve been trying to think of something, anything but nothing at all comes to mind.

eazybee Mon 18-Jan-21 15:29:20

Rather disingenuous.
We have been out of the EU for seventeen days, so of course no benefits can be proved, yet.

Post this in a year's time, then you will have material for a discussion.

Peasblossom Mon 18-Jan-21 15:38:46

But the whole point is that you weigh benefits ( not having MEPs) against disadvantages to get a whole picture.

If you’re just going to ignore benefits, like you did to me, you’ll have a very biased view.
It was kind of “oh no, she’s named a benefit. Just ignore it and talk about something else” ?

That was when I realised I’d been duped.