Gransnet forums

Chat

If only someone would invent...........

(146 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 20-Jan-21 10:23:42

Plasters that actually stick - I have to plaster small cuts on my hands caused by eczema and they fall off the first time I wash my hands. Grrr!

What do you wish someone would invent?..........

watermeadow Fri 19-Mar-21 19:34:15

I want a dryer for humans. You’d step out of shower or bath and blasts of warm air would dry you all over. I hate drying myself with a towel.

Alishka Thu 18-Mar-21 12:18:00

My clothes airer has wheels! Mind you, I brought it back from Italy years ago, when we re-located to the UK, so pretty vintage now. Didn't know that UK airers don't have wheels - wonder why?confused

Alishka Thu 18-Mar-21 12:12:50

@JackyB - does it have a name? Looks like just the thing I want and, who knows?, Amazon and all that...
I live in hopesmile

FannyCornforth Mon 15-Mar-21 11:18:52

Reported

bebasikkk Mon 15-Mar-21 10:52:28

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

annodomini Wed 27-Jan-21 21:15:49

A food processor that washes itself. Much as I love my Magimix, sticky dough clings to the bowl and attachments and has to be scraped out before they can be washed.

JackyB Wed 27-Jan-21 20:28:48

Alishka

I'd like to go back in time and buy a bread slicer with 3 settings - thin,medium and thick - like we used to have, please. Now that would make me happy.

Our bread slicer goes from 0 - 20.I assume that means mm. Most German households have one.

Tweedle24 Wed 27-Jan-21 17:13:28

Dmxwg and 00mam00 Have you tried the alcohol free website? I don’t like sweet wines either but, found some quite acceptable ones on there. It seems the wines are made in the normal way and then the alcohol removed (no idea how - I am no chemist)

Lizbethann55 Mon 25-Jan-21 17:49:56

Can't help but think that a lot of these wishes/suggestions are already available from Lakeland. They seem to have an amazing knack of pre guessing what people want!

petra Mon 25-Jan-21 17:30:34

Minerva
I don't know if you could manage this but I've seen people with your condition use a mini rolling pin.

Alishka Mon 25-Jan-21 17:20:53

I'd like to go back in time and buy a bread slicer with 3 settings - thin,medium and thick - like we used to have, please. Now that would make me happy.

grannypiper Mon 25-Jan-21 17:20:50

Luckygirl Try Tesco's own ( Green box, i think) they are really good.

Elegran Mon 25-Jan-21 17:08:21

Plasters that stick really well are hell to rip off, so the less sticky ones sell better.

Jaxie Mon 25-Jan-21 16:35:21

They don’t make plasters that stay stuck so that you have to keep buying them. Just as the paper used for crisp packets is so designed not to stay twisted closed at the neck so that the crisps go soggy. Profit is more important than utility to manufacturers bug—r the poor consumer.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 22:23:43

Just don't cook the flannel by mistake! grin

Minerva Sun 24-Jan-21 22:12:10

I wish someone would invent a counter top mini wringer just big enough to wring out a flannel or the dishcloth. My very arthritic hands just can’t do it.
As I wrote that an image flashed into my mind of my daughter’s pasta maker. I wonder if that would work.

Tanjamaltija Sun 24-Jan-21 18:24:12

Please do not put sticking plaster on eczema. "Fill" the scratch with your local honey - do one as a patch test first. See how it goes.

Pollypa Sun 24-Jan-21 14:51:33

JackyB I renew my 'fly nets' every spring on every window and my husband made a 'fly screen' for the porch door.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 13:30:21

The good thing about that style of clothes airer is that it means that clothes have their own space, rather than getting tangled up with the layer below.

Luckygirl Sun 24-Jan-21 13:29:16

Bearzen28 - I put disposable clinical gloves on my hands at night after putting on the steroid cream - it allows it to absorb and stops me washing it off when washing my hands after getting up for a pee!

Grannyjacq - clothes airer on wheels - now that IS a good idea! I have a wonderful German clothes airer - a bit like this one, only bigger: www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Vida-Winged-Folding-Clothes/dp/B01DDCOLKG/ref=sr_1_26?dchild=1&keywords=Clothing+Airer&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1611494730&sr=8-26

It is great - I use it instead of a washing line outside - you can peg things on if it is windy. But I do have to drag it around into the sun - not hard here, as lots of smooth decking - but I can see that wheels would be great.

Nanananana1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:44:03

Re freezer labels: I have found writing on a slip of paper then stuck onto the lid with a piece of sellotape works! Very low tech!

Nanananana1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:41:22

Re plasters: I use the rolls of plaster tape, sometimes over a piece of muslin (better for eczema?) or over an ordinary plaster. Wrap it right round and attach to itself. Works on fingers and arms (but not so easy on legs!) Not too tight as you may have to cut it off!

Grannyjacq1 Sun 24-Jan-21 12:29:58

A clothes airer on wheels so that I can move it round easily to follow the sun when forced to dry clothes inside.

Lollin Sun 24-Jan-21 11:55:43

moggie57

Sound proof flats

and for my friend sound proof gardens which allow nature of course, though some of our birds are very loud for very long spells - which does amuse me grin

Skweek1 Sun 24-Jan-21 11:37:32

I discovered in the late 60s that I was allergic to plasters but these days I've found that I can use them, but they don't stick. For safety's sake, I use Micropore, which doesn't stick either. So possibly the fact that most plasters today are hypoallergenic may have something to do with the lack of stickability.