Gransnet forums

Chat

Is it worth having the flu vaccine end of January?

(11 Posts)
Witzend Thu 21-Jan-21 09:50:37

Having had proper flu just once, I certainly would. I was much younger and perfectly fit, but it still knocked my stuffing right out for over 3 weeks, even after I felt better.

Plus (look away now if squeamish!) all the coughing weakened the relevant muscles so much, that for quite a while afterwards, every time I coughed or sneezed, I wet myself* and farted at the same time.
*a bit, not a deluge, and just as well when I was at work.

annodomini Wed 20-Jan-21 21:36:52

Often winter flu makes a come-back in the spring. The worst dose I ever had was in the spring, after there had been an epidemic in the autumn. So I would advise taking the jab. You have nothing to lose.

Tangerine Wed 20-Jan-21 20:53:36

I would have it. What have you got to lose?

Sarahmob Wed 20-Jan-21 20:34:47

I was offered my flu vaccine last Wednesday, Thursday morning saw me at the pharmacy with my sleeve rolled up ready. I’d go for it, I had no side effects whatsoever.

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 19:45:40

Yes.
If you caught flu and Covid you could become very ill.

Kandinsky Wed 20-Jan-21 19:14:46

Thank you.
I’m booked in on Friday morning so I will go.

Mapleleaf Wed 20-Jan-21 19:10:33

I’ve only just had my first one at the weekend. My take on it is, if the medics didn’t think it was worthwhile to have it in January, they wouldn’t offer it, so, like MamaCaz, I would encourage you to have it.

Nortsat Wed 20-Jan-21 19:08:54

The flus that circulate each winter vary from year to year.

I caught H1N1 (so called bird flu) a couple of years ago in January, many years after it was supposed to have disappeared.
I ended up with pneumonia in ICU.

Do have the jab.

Charleygirl5 Wed 20-Jan-21 19:07:37

I had mine months ago- I am amazed you have been offered it so late but I would never miss it.

MamaCaz Wed 20-Jan-21 18:59:36

Two years ago, my son's friend lost one of his infant twins to flu, and that was at this time of year.

I would urge you to have the flu vaccine to help protect others as well as yourself.

Kandinsky Wed 20-Jan-21 18:42:36

I’ve only just been offered as I’m under 65 so never been eligible before.
For some reason I thought flu was mainly caught in early winter and was more or less out of circulation by February.