Gransnet forums

Chat

Cutting the supply of vaccines

(81 Posts)
blondenana Thu 21-Jan-21 23:18:31

Just read that Matt Hancocks has said he is cutting supplies of vaccines to Yorkshire,and sending more to more deprived areas
I am fuming about this,how dare he?
Surely everyone deserves one asap
As far as i know Yorkshire hasn't had more vaccines distributed than anywhere else to a great degree
I know there are difficulties at the mo0ment with one supplier being flooded,and the one in India has caught fire with sadly 5 dead
I don't think this year is going well at all, and now all the floods
What else can go wrong?

Blinko Fri 29-Jan-21 20:47:30

growstuff

Blinko

How do you find out how many have been vaccinated in your own area?

Ask Google.

Cheers, Growstuff

lemongrove Fri 29-Jan-21 17:59:14

I agree GrannyRose and think the EU is using their ‘beef’ with AZ as a distraction technique because they have moved so slowly where vaccines are concerned and the citizens of EU countries are quite rightly annoyed with the EU commission.
It makes no sense to block vaccines to non EU countries from a completely different company!
Bully boy tactics.

Alegrias1 Fri 29-Jan-21 17:34:52

Yes, its very convoluted, isn't it GrannyRose15. No idea how this is going to play out.

GrannyRose15 Fri 29-Jan-21 15:36:35

Alegrias1

No, we're not being "held over a barrel".

The EU want the manufacturers to deliver on their commitments. Which means not sending higher proportions of vaccines to third party countries when the cannot meet the orders of the EU itself. They want what they ordered.

As we are now a third party country with no stake in the EU, they can treat us the same as everybody else when it comes to exports, which is exactly what they are doing. They're not withholding supplies just to annoy us. So yes they can withhold permission for exports. Welcome to the world post Brexit.

What is so interesting here though is that the EU seems to be blocking exports from one company because it is having a fight with another, quite separate, company. This is really counter productive for them. They might get more vaccines in the short term but if big companies find themselves subject to restrictive practices like this then they will simply move production elsewhere. The EU will then have shot itself in the foot.

Not that I'm at all worried about that of course - but they should be.

Blinko Fri 29-Jan-21 11:41:32

These people are the more vulnerable to the virus, but are believing they'll be killed by the vaccine and see it as a racist move.

I've heard this and it simply beggars belief. If it's a killer and a 'racist move', why are white people taking it up in droves? What planet are these people on?

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Jan-21 09:18:08

Some areas just were not even sent the vaccine until about 10 days ago.
My mother-in-law lives in one of these areas and at 96 was vaccinated on Friday last week.

If some areas had started vaccinating before Christmas or early in the new year, that is how they "got ahead".

Elegran Wed 27-Jan-21 09:02:17

At you horrified at the fact that BAME people have been conned into believing this tripe, EV or at the doctor for saying it? If it is true that they believe it, then should the doctor have kept quiet about that fact, and kept it a secret? It is not clear from your post.

If it is known that they are afraid to take the vaccine, then it is possible for someone (who??) to try to calm those fears and explain that it is not so. Why hide his knowledge of their fears?

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 23:04:46

This was on the news EllanVannin and yes, this was reported as community leaders and doctors are concerned about this.

Why was it awful?
It is very worrying.

EllanVannin Tue 26-Jan-21 22:11:23

Did anyone watch the Victoria Derbyshire programme this morning ?
A GP was speaking on behalf of the BAME community where he'd stated that many had refused vaccinations saying that they all feared being used as guinea-pigs because the vaccine wasn't properly tested. These people are the more vulnerable to the virus, but are believing they'll be killed by the vaccine and see it as a racist move.

I couldn't believe that a doctor would even attempt to speak in such a way, it was awful.

GrannyRose15 Tue 26-Jan-21 21:51:54

Casdon

The priority with the Pfizer vaccine for the UK now should be to make sure there is enough in reserve to give the second dose to those who have received their first already.

The majority of the Moderna vaccine is made in the USA so presumably they will provide to the UK from there if there are problems with the EU, although our supply would probably be expected to come from France, and the Astra Zeneca vaccine is produced in the UK, so I don’t think there’s any need to panic yet.

Absolutely casdon. My worry is that if we don't have enough to give a timely second dose to everyone who has had the first then we will have wasted our efforts and alot of vaccine. Still think they should have stuck to the trial data and given everyone a second does after 3 weeks.

Casdon Tue 26-Jan-21 15:11:50

The priority with the Pfizer vaccine for the UK now should be to make sure there is enough in reserve to give the second dose to those who have received their first already.

The majority of the Moderna vaccine is made in the USA so presumably they will provide to the UK from there if there are problems with the EU, although our supply would probably be expected to come from France, and the Astra Zeneca vaccine is produced in the UK, so I don’t think there’s any need to panic yet.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 14:04:25

Even pre-orders and contracts have to obey the trading regulations of the country they are coming from at the time of delivery.

These vaccines were ordered during the transition time for delivery after we left the EU completely. Everything change when we left the EU and the contract has to follow those new rules now.

Daisymae Tue 26-Jan-21 11:00:38

Our area is not particularly disadvantaged yet just over 50 percent of the over 80s have been vaccinated as of last week. I don't understand why, but I do think this group needs to be given priority. Having said that I also know several people in the next age group who have received it, so I imagine its the organisation.

Oldwoman70 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:46:23

I think the complaint is that the EU seem to be threatening to stop Pfizer honouring contracts for delivery of vaccines already ordered.

Elegran Tue 26-Jan-21 10:35:26

Confession - I haven't read all the thread. But I have read some posts blaming it on the EU being nasty to us because we left, and I can't help saying - If we are not in their club, why should they give us members' privileges?

There are similar complaints going on about having to pay duty on parcels sent or recieved to and from the EU. Surely everyone remembers the days when ALL parcels to and from other countries involved a lot of paperwork and import/export tax, and ALL travel needed passports and/or visas and/or vaccinations?

That is one of the reasons we joined the EU - to be in a group where there was free movement of goods and people. But we voted to be clear of them - remember?

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:08:18

Agreed M0nica

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Jan-21 10:07:10

No, we're not being "held over a barrel".

The EU want the manufacturers to deliver on their commitments. Which means not sending higher proportions of vaccines to third party countries when the cannot meet the orders of the EU itself. They want what they ordered.

As we are now a third party country with no stake in the EU, they can treat us the same as everybody else when it comes to exports, which is exactly what they are doing. They're not withholding supplies just to annoy us. So yes they can withhold permission for exports. Welcome to the world post Brexit.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 10:02:39

Alegrias However way one sees it, my response is 'Why shouldn't they?'

We chose to leave the EU, we must live with the consequences. You cannot have your cake and eat it.

M0nica Tue 26-Jan-21 10:00:56

grannyrose, if a whole tranche of you managed to get the jab before the rest of the country, what is disadvantaged about that?

You should be delighted that this happened and should show the generousity and wonderful community spririt, which we are always being told you have, to be prepared to slow down a bit until other parts of the country catch up.

MawBe Tue 26-Jan-21 09:59:34

BBC News site

The EU has warned it will tighten exports of Covid vaccines produced in the bloc, amid a row with AstraZeneca over a cut in planned supplies
DT
BRITAIN’S Covid vaccine supply is in jeopardy after the EU threatened to block exports of the Belgian-made Pfizer jabs as part of a row with the UK-based AstraZeneca.

Brussels decided to impose tighter controls on exports after reacting with anger to the news that AstraZeneca will deliver 50 million fewer doses to the EU than it had expected

The Guardian
The UK’s vaccine minister, Nadhim Zahawi, has said he is confident that Pfizer will deliver the number of coronavirus injections needed in the UK

It follows concerns over vaccine supply in the EU, prompting the bloc to tell pharmaceutical companies they can only export to Britain with its explicit permission

Asked whether the EU could prevent Pfizer vials from leaving its borders, Zahawi told Sky News: “No, I’m confident that the Pfizer vaccine will be delivered.
The EU issued an angry warning to AstraZeneca on Monday over its unexpected delay in delivering millions of doses of its Covid-19 vaccine to the bloc

If “permission” has to be gained it can of course also be withheld.
Are we being held over a barrel? .

Alegrias1 Tue 26-Jan-21 09:47:56

Maybe people would like to have a look at the "Fake News" thread?

"EU countries to hold suppliers to their contracts"

gets translated as

"EU is putting up trade barriers to vaccine exports to the UK"

Gwyneth Tue 26-Jan-21 09:46:29

Well I live in the North and don’t feel aggrieved at all. It is only right that the vaccine should be distributed to over 80s all over the country first.
* Jennifer Eccles* couldn’t agree more the roll out is going well so far so let’s just be grateful and stop criticising just for the sake of it!!!

MawBe Tue 26-Jan-21 09:35:07

Well it looks as if the EU is going to be doing precisely that by imposing barriers on the export of vaccines to the U.K. ??

Witzend Tue 26-Jan-21 09:29:41

My sister and BiL in N Yorks - both a little over 75 - had 1st doses yesterday.
(I was going to say ‘j***’ until I remembered how it gets up a particular GNer’s nose!

GrannyRose15 Sat 23-Jan-21 22:52:49

Scentia

Because GrannyRose15. We should all be looking out for and helping each other at the moment.

But don't you think the government should have learned by now that the people in the North feel aggrieved about always being second and then being penalised for doing something right.
I spoke earlier on this thread (or maybe another one) about the divisions in our country. This really doesn't help and Matt Hancock should be much more careful in what he says and does.