Gransnet forums

Chat

Films not been on the telly for long time,and would you like to see?

(63 Posts)
infoman Fri 22-Jan-21 07:43:01

Village of the Damned the orgional version 1960
Death in Venice with Dirk Bogarde 1971?
The sun downers with Robert Mitchum 1960

infoman Sun 21-Feb-21 08:22:30

All programmes on BBC2 on Sunday 21 february
13:00pm Alfred Hitchcock interview
13:35pm Alfred Hitchcock The lady vanishes
15:40pm Alfred Hitchcock Suspicion

infoman Sat 20-Feb-21 09:18:26

Saturday 20 feb
Sky arts 13:00pm Humphrey Bogart
BBC2 13:00pm Hitchcock the 39 steps followed at
14:25pm by Hitchcocks favourite actors
Sony (channel 50?) 18:50pm African Queen and on the same channel
21:00pm Barefoot contessa

infoman Wed 17-Feb-21 10:56:36

Greengage Summer/loss of innoncene is on Paramount channel 50 at midday wednesday 17 feb.
Would any one know the railway station the mother is removed from en-route to the hotel.
Thanking you in advance

infoman Tue 09-Feb-21 06:43:19

Hitchcocks shadow of a doubt on sony movie action at 09:20am tuesday morning

Daddima Sun 07-Feb-21 21:01:27

Chestnut

*The Family Way* is on Talking Pictures Monday night at 11.55pm for night owls and people who can record programmes. Free of course.

I’ve just watched it, and surprised to see the music was by Paul McCartney.

GrandmasueUK Sun 07-Feb-21 16:35:46

I loved The Blue Lagoon - the 1949 version - as it had Susan Stranks as the child in the film and I thought she was wonderful on Magpie! I obviously didn't understand the nuances of the film when I first saw it, as I was about 12 or 13 at the time, in 1968.

Chestnut Sun 07-Feb-21 16:34:31

The Family Way is on Talking Pictures Monday night at 11.55pm for night owls and people who can record programmes. Free of course.

Daddima Sun 07-Feb-21 16:24:34

Also on Bflix

J52 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:54:31

Chestnut I’ve just found out I can buy it on Amazon Prime. I also liked the Parent Trap , probably because my parents were divorced and I lived in hope!
My favourite was Pollyanna.

Luckylegs Sat 06-Feb-21 14:53:28

I was always told I looked like Hayley Mills too! Especially in The Parent Trap I think. I don’t look like her now, maybe I look a bit better hopefully!

Chestnut Sat 06-Feb-21 14:08:28

I was a Hayley Mills fan too. She was a couple of years older than me so always seemed to be doing things I wanted to do, like an older sister! I have The Family Way on DVD. Watched Sky West and Crooked last year and enjoyed that. But my favourite was always Whistle Down the Wind. You never see the original of The Parent Trap because they always show the re-make. Saw Tiger Bay fairly recently and it was amazing. She gave an outstanding performance in that.

J52 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:22:13

When youngster my friend and I were huge Hayley Mills fans. In fact although just children, she styled herself on being a lookalike.
The film I would like to see would be In the Family Way, she starred with Hywell Bennet. It was a bit risqué for for us at the time!
It was on a vintage film channel recently, but I missed it.

Framilode Sat 06-Feb-21 10:45:20

All the old episodes of the Onedin Line are on You Tube. We are in the middle of re-watching it. Some of it is a bit clonky but still enjoyable. So much better than all the reality shows that are on at the moment.
Can I recommend the White Crow available on BBC Catch Up. It tells the story of Rudolph Nureyev, his life and defection from the USSR. It stars Ralph Fiennes and is a wonderful production.

honeyrose Sat 06-Feb-21 09:18:14

A film called “Tim” starring Mel Gibson. Very touching and memorable and so unlike any Mel Gibson film you’ve ever seen before!

Shirlb Sat 06-Feb-21 08:15:05

My choice too always makes me cry at the end ☹️?

nanna8 Sat 06-Feb-21 07:10:06

The Onedin Line
My Dad used to always watch Dad’s Army and sergeant Bilko
Then there’s Rawhide and Bonanza, Z cars etc. They would probably have dated so much now, though.
Just remembered - Dixon of Dock Green!

infoman Sat 06-Feb-21 06:57:09

Hitchcock's Sabotage on this Saturday afternoon on Talking pictures at 14:10pm

Daddima Fri 05-Feb-21 17:28:31

EllanVannin

Ohmother that would be one of mine too, along with the original version of Rebecca.

The Spiral Staircase.
Bette Davis films.
Ethel Barrymore films.
Martita Hunt films.

I know they've all got whiskers on them but I love old films.

How Green, Rebecca, and Spiral Staircase all on Bflix.

Daddima Fri 05-Feb-21 17:22:46

Witzend

Quartet was on last night. Lovely film, stellar cast.
Of course I only caught the last bit by chance.
Memo to self - check the schedules!

Quartet is on Bflix too ( see my post above)

Daddima Fri 05-Feb-21 17:20:53

Just a quick browse through Bflix and they have Village of the Damned, Death in Venice,Deadly Pursuit, The Addams Family, Addams Family Values, Gone With The Wind, Out of Africa, and Ryan’s Daughter.
It’s a legal and free site with no ads during the films, but I found that often the film comes up with no sound, and when you click the sound icon, an advert appears. You just close that down, go back to your film, click for sound again, and off you go.
So, Ryan’s Daughter for me tonight!

crazyH Fri 05-Feb-21 17:00:29

Sorry, I only just saw the Title of the Post......

crazyH Fri 05-Feb-21 16:59:42

White Tiger - a new release on Netflix - a beautiful film with a questionable moral to it. But nevertheless, a brilliant film - highly recommend it....

Chestnut Fri 05-Feb-21 16:53:02

Whistle Down the Wind is on my list of all-time favourites. I just loved the down to earth reality of it. The village children were so funny and natural. Hayley Mills was at her best. I have it on DVD of course!

Mogsmaw Fri 05-Feb-21 14:29:13

NotAGran55

Whistle Down The Wind

Notagran
Whistle down the wind is on britbox, we’re doing a “free trial” at the moment.

hollysteers Fri 05-Feb-21 14:28:12

Jezebel with Bette Davis, her answer to GWTW
A Place in the Sun, Splendour in the Grass
I watched “Suddenly Last Summer” the other night as I love Tennessee Williams’ plays, but found it overwrought and Liz Taylor’s acting substandard. Montgomery Clift apparently was in a right state too in real life after a car accident, addicted to all sorts and sleepwalked through the film.
Loving old films, I check the listings for Talking Pictures, Sony Classics and Film 4.