Gransnet forums

Chat

Rapid vaccination appointment

(12 Posts)
Espana Fri 22-Jan-21 12:42:30

My husband aged 74 received a text message at 11.50 asking him to make an appointment to have the vaccine. He now has an appointment at 3.10 today! A giant “well done” to everyone involved (and I include the government in that).

Septimia Fri 22-Jan-21 12:51:49

That's good!!

BlueSky Fri 22-Jan-21 13:04:41

That’s TOO good for a lot of people, most need to organise some form of transport beforehand. Your DH is lucky to have been offered a local practice place, I guess?

shysal Fri 22-Jan-21 13:06:01

I am 74 and CEV, and I had a phone call last Friday at 2.10 asking if I could get there at 2.25! I jumped at the chance to rush up to my surgery.
It was their first day of giving the Oxford vaccine and were fitting extra patients in to take up the sixth dose from each bottle instead of 5 as before. At least that was the explanation given to me.

Alegrias1 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:07:15

Good news Espana, you must be pleased!

Galaxy Fri 22-Jan-21 13:07:38

Happened to my mum today, we are thrilled!

blondenana Fri 22-Jan-21 13:11:31

Still waiting for mine, some aged 70-74 had theirs,but some over 80s haven't
The way i am looking at it is, from a health point of view, some are more needy which makes me feel better as not so urgent,if you see what i mean

Espana Fri 22-Jan-21 13:12:27

Yes Bluesky we consider ourselves lucky to get the appointment and to be able to make it. When my husband is safe he will be delighted to take anyone who needs a lift.

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 13:14:36

Yes, we were equally fortunate. We fall into the second age group, over 75. We had a phone call last Thursday and the vaccine the following day.

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 13:15:16

BlueSky

That’s TOO good for a lot of people, most need to organise some form of transport beforehand. Your DH is lucky to have been offered a local practice place, I guess?

I’d guess they clearly offer a quick appointment and if people can’t make it they’d change it ?? Sorry but that seems common sense.

BlueSky Fri 22-Jan-21 13:45:42

Even local GPs a lot of people might need a lift if they/their partner don’t drive. Still it is a great idea to offer a last minute appointment in the first instance, rather than waste vaccine or slots.

grannysyb Fri 22-Jan-21 13:56:28

I had a text last Friday, which I picked up on Saturday, clicked on a link and booked for Wednesday. The vaccination was administered in a community centre, a couple of miles from me. DH had his there last week, our area seems to be doing quite well, and people don't seem to be having to go too far, an advantage of living in the London suburbs!