Gransnet forums

Chat

Loads of Random Free Shopping!

(11 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 25-Jan-21 10:52:37

On Saturday I realised that we were very low on milk.

DH is a priority customer with Iceland, and although I haven't shopped with them before, I was pretty certain that I would be able to get next day delivery with them.
And yes, I got a slot for the next day.

I ordered the all important milk and bought a bottle of Bacardi and some cleaning stuff to reach the minimum order required for delivery.

Sunday - shopping arrives as scheduled and DH takes delivery.
However - when I see it on the kitchen table I realise that while my things are there, there is also loads more that I didntorder.
Four huge bags full of chicken, ham, cheese, all manner of fruit, salad, butter, about 20 yoghurts and much more.
All in all about £50 worth of groceries.

I immediately phoned Iceland, spoke to the Manager and explained that I had all of this extra stuff. He told me to check that I had received everything that I had ordered, and was told that they could not collect the extra things and that I had to keep them!

I split the products up and gave half to my neighbour (the one who featured in a different thread: not relevant, but a bit of extra info for hard core GNers, a bit like a Director's Cut smile). She was delighted!

But the one thing of mine that was missing from the delivery? You guessed it. Milk hmm
I'm expecting it today...

Ramblingrose22 Mon 25-Jan-21 10:59:06

A similar thing happened to us when DH went to collect our order before Christmas. The packers were clearly inundated and had got orders mixed up.

He spotted that the bags offered to him included loads of crisps, snacks and booze that we had never ordered and alerted the staff before someone else collected our order.

Luckily he had arrived at the beginning of the one hour slot so he averted that possibility.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:00:36

I feel sorry for the poor person waiting in for her shopping only to have most of it missing, been there......

FannyCornforth Mon 25-Jan-21 11:03:47

Oopsadaisy when I spoke to the Manager he assured me that they had already sorted that and delivered her missing shopping to her.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 25-Jan-21 11:06:16

That’s a good result! My shopping went missing one evening on a 9pm delivery, so no chance of getting any replacements, all I had was freezer shopping, everything else was missing.

Elusivebutterfly Mon 25-Jan-21 11:06:56

I have had other people's shopping delivered in error by Tesco several times (pre covid). I call Tesco and they get the driver to pick it up. Sometimes the driver realises before I get through to Tesco and comes back himself.

FannyCornforth Tue 26-Jan-21 10:37:37

Update: They didn't bring the milk yesterday.

Marydoll Tue 26-Jan-21 10:43:13

The first time it happened to me with Tesco, they told me to keep the order....until they realised how much it was! The driver came back for it.

At Chritmas I received someone else's turkey crown, but I phoned Tesco, as it was someone's Christmas dinner!
In that Tesco order I was missing two packets of choc digestive biscuits, so I informed Tesco and duly received a refund.
At the weekend DH went to get some beer from the garage and came back with two packets of chocolate digestives, which he found in a box of beer! blush

MawBe Tue 26-Jan-21 10:43:13

Elusivebutterfly

I have had other people's shopping delivered in error by Tesco several times (pre covid). I call Tesco and they get the driver to pick it up. Sometimes the driver realises before I get through to Tesco and comes back himself.

That is unacceptable and Tesco need to be pulled up on this.
Once the shopping has crossed your doorstep and is in your possession the supermarkets are not allowed to take it back. That is why unacceptable substitutions have to be removed by the delivery driver before leaving the bags on your doorstep.

Marydoll Tue 26-Jan-21 10:47:58

Maw, I hadn't touched the turkey, as it was in a bag. sitting in my porch, the only person who had touched it was the driver, who I saw sanitising his hands before delivering. That's why Tesco were happy to take it back.

Callistemon Tue 26-Jan-21 10:50:48

Lucky you! I've heard of someone else who had someone else's order by mistake.
Some while ago we did get some coffee sachets I hadn't ordered but we don't have a coffee machine.