Gransnet forums

Chat

Fishnet stockings....

(25 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Jan-21 19:34:31

I had some fabulous Wolford hold-up that were a rather "smart" fishnet.
Still have them but expect all the "hold" has long since gone.

MayBee70 Thu 28-Jan-21 19:21:52

....I don’t mean tarty with Doc Martens. I think perhaps pixie boots with them at my age.

MayBee70 Thu 28-Jan-21 19:20:42

Oh yes: definitely with Doc Martens.

Blossoming Thu 28-Jan-21 17:29:47

I’ve always thought of them as old fashioned and tarty, rather than sophisticated! Sorry blush

PaperMonster Thu 28-Jan-21 16:56:15

Blondiescot

I used to love wearing them in my punk heydays, usually with a pair of ordinary brightly coloured tights underneath them - and my Doc Martens! Not sure I could get away with that look now (although I do have a pair of leopard print Docs!)

I am absolutely sure you can get away with that look! I’ve never worn coloured tights underneath! Must try that next winter, if I’m back in the workplace then!!

Blondiescot Thu 28-Jan-21 12:30:17

I used to love wearing them in my punk heydays, usually with a pair of ordinary brightly coloured tights underneath them - and my Doc Martens! Not sure I could get away with that look now (although I do have a pair of leopard print Docs!)

EvieJ Thu 28-Jan-21 12:25:08

I love feeling feminine and wearing any stockings will do that for me. I'm not old enough to remember but the pencil line down back of ladies legs, (in the war) to make them look as though they have stockings on, how amazing that must have been smile

Redhead56 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:08:26

Back in the day in my twenties and a nice decent girl. I would go to town to George Henry Lee. To buy expensive but good quality very fine fish net tights. I wore them with proper patent leather kitten heels and a black dress. This attire was for special nights out it complimented my quite tall slim figure. My naturally red curly hair completed the look which I wore up or down depended on the weather.
I just don't know what happened! Now I wear thick black tights with everything flat black shoes and don't go out.

PaperMonster Thu 28-Jan-21 10:08:03

I wear them to work sometimes in the spring when opaque are too warm, but I’m not ready to go bare-legged. I wear them with Doc Martens though, so probably not the look you’re going for!! I also have little fishnet socks too.

MayBee70 Thu 28-Jan-21 10:03:02

They were a very delicate fishnet. I don’t know how to describe them really but the minute I saw the pattern I remembered wearing them. And they were probably a brownish black.

Esspee Thu 28-Jan-21 09:34:07

Oh dear, are they coming back into fashion? Always thought of them as being tarty. Nice girls didn’t wear them (at least in my part of the woods).

TrendyNannie6 Thu 28-Jan-21 09:33:09

Yes I used to wear fishnets in my teens, but must admit I’ve never ever thought they were sophisticated , I thought stockings with seams up the back were though

AmberSpyglass Thu 28-Jan-21 09:23:30

I’ve been thinking about getting some nice seamed stockings and wearing them with dresses and low heels at home - maybe this is the nudge I need!

Humbertbear Thu 28-Jan-21 08:41:55

Meant to say that I also have a pair that look as if you are wearing knee high socks. Ive always wanted a pair and am going to see if I can get them on. I don’t suppose anyone will notice those either!

Humbertbear Thu 28-Jan-21 08:40:47

I decided to wear thick tights instead of jogging yesterday. I had three new pairs, all patterned grey ones. There first two pairs out of the packet were too small , although I had ordered the correct size according to the packaging. I managed to get the third pair on and they did give me a different look. My husband and daughter didn’t notice and I’m not sure it was worth it. I’d forgotten how much more difficult it was to go to the loo in tights!

Jaxjacky Thu 28-Jan-21 08:39:16

I’ve still got a pair somewhere, I used to wear them with an above the knee black skirt and black boots up until about five years ago, just down the local at Christmas. The one thing I do have is good legs and I’m tall, a couple of the old boy’s used to like them!

Scribbles Thu 28-Jan-21 08:28:22

Me, too, nanna8. I was often I trouble for wearing them to school and my mother used to tell me they made me look like a tart. As a fat, plain, bespectacled 15 year old in a shapeless school uniform, I was quite gratified by the "tart" appellation!

nanna8 Thu 28-Jan-21 08:17:40

I used to love my fishnets in the 1960s, thought they were really sexy. Mind you, I was 15 years old and a bit trendy then.

JackyB Thu 28-Jan-21 07:03:40

I don't think they look sophisticated, either. Frivolous, at best. The sort of thing we would wear for Fasching(which is now!).

FannyCornforth Thu 28-Jan-21 04:47:55

Yes, CanadianGran, when I wore them in the 80s (actually fishnet stockings shock) it wasn't a sophisticated look!

Lolo81 Thu 28-Jan-21 04:47:31

I used to love wearing the stockings with the seam up the back - although I do remember it being a pest keeping the seam from going a bit wonky!!

CanadianGran Thu 28-Jan-21 03:37:31

I have never had fishnet tights, but then I haven't worn a lot of black, especially when I was younger.

The size of the pattern, in my opinion, makes a difference on if they would be considered sophisticated. Small pattern with a relatively conservative little black dress; yes. Large net pattern with leather mini, maybe not so much. They were popular with the punk look in the 80's.

Kim19 Thu 28-Jan-21 02:29:16

Gosh yes, I so remember fishnets. Loved them but don't know if I ever thought of them as sophisticated. As for the little black number.... long since gone from my wardrobe but happy memories indeed.

Caramelkeg Thu 28-Jan-21 02:17:40

Go on, wear them! And if the little black dress doesn't fit, get a bigger one! I bet your dog will be very impressed.

MayBee70 Wed 27-Jan-21 23:46:20

I just noticed that Kirsty Wark on Newsnight tonight was wearing fishnet tights. It reminded me of how much I loved them and how sophisticated I thought they were. Still do, in fact. I don’t wear dresses any more (can’t remember the last time I wore anything that showed my legs) but I’m fantasising about wearing one of my little black dresses (if any of them still fit) with fishnet tights. I’m sure the dog (the only person that would see them) would be impressed!