Gransnet forums

Chat

Doncaster Scotland

(29 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 28-Jan-21 13:04:16

Apparently way back when no one could decide where the exact border between England and Scotland was, King Stephen of England ceded Doncaster to the Scots as part of a peace treaty and this has never been rescinded so Doncaster is actually part of Scotland not England. This means that when Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU, the people of Doncaster will be able to apply for a Scottish passport and will be EU citizens with all the rights of movement etc. that comes with it. Of course, they won’t be English but then Yorkshire folk have only even been English by default. Even better, as Westminster has decided to pay £2000 to each EU citizen who agrees to leave then anyone from Doncaster relocates to Scotland will get a payout grin

PippaZ Sat 30-Jan-21 11:24:37

I'd certainly like the choice vampirequeen and would probably go for it if they didn't give us an English Parliament as an alternative.

vampirequeen Fri 29-Jan-21 22:08:34

I'd be happy for the whole of Yorkshire to be part of Scotland.

Ohmother Fri 29-Jan-21 17:46:52

Ralph Lauren Doncaster Tartan.

Blossoming Fri 29-Jan-21 11:38:36

It will be like a post-WW2 Berlin, with a big wall, air lifts and food drops ?

Greyduster Fri 29-Jan-21 11:34:04

I have a vision of large hairy men in Doncaster tartan kilts saying to each other “Nah then, thee! Tha looks a reight chuff in that! Tha ‘asn’t got knees forrit!”?

Kim19 Fri 29-Jan-21 01:55:05

This is fun (and informative). You're all quite mad but I love it. No nastiness at all. Just good banter. Wonderful. Keep it up please.

PippaZ Thu 28-Jan-21 19:39:03

Does any more of Yorkshire have a claim to be part of Scotland. I am keen, very keen to hear.

Isn't York meant to be the middle of Great Britain? If everything above the middle moves up to be part of Scotland would it be bigger or smaller than the remaining part?

Mapleleaf Thu 28-Jan-21 19:37:28

I knew that Doncaster (or Donny as it's known round about), was part of Scotland, but didn't know it had its own tartan ?.

Ohmother Thu 28-Jan-21 19:12:35

And did you know vampirequeen. that Doncaster actually has its own tartan.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Jan-21 18:30:43

Never happen. Spain would have to veto it because of Catalonia.

grannypiper Thu 28-Jan-21 18:26:41

Scotland rejoining the E.U ?

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Jan-21 17:41:24

What, if Doncaster becomes part of Scotland? Bit harsh on Doncaster Jane10.....

Jane10 Thu 28-Jan-21 17:33:30

I'll be rushing out of Scotland if that black day ever comes. Somehow I think the benefits of the union will be more evident than the persistent mismanagement of the SNP govt currently in place.
Very dirty dealings are emerging. Interesting times ahead.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Jan-21 16:09:38

Just move up Bluebell problem sorted!

SueDonim Thu 28-Jan-21 15:56:55

And Scotland is actually in Wales! I know this because when we moved abroad, a teacher at my dds school asked where we had come from. I said Scotland and she replied, ‘Ah, Scotland! That’s in Wales, isn’t it?’ grin

Lucca Thu 28-Jan-21 15:41:39

Is it just Doncaster ? ?

BlueBelle Thu 28-Jan-21 15:36:43

I d be quite happy if they put East Anglia in Scotland that ll do me

Urmstongran Thu 28-Jan-21 15:31:37

I think the SNP will romp the election in May, provided the Alec Salmond enquire doesn’t derail Nicola Sturgeon’s probity and popularity.

However, I still think the Union will hold.

vampirequeen Thu 28-Jan-21 15:30:07

Sorry...But not Put. I've still got Covid brain fog

vampirequeen Thu 28-Jan-21 15:22:53

Put Donnie people want to be Scottish then it's up to them. Their children would qualify for free uni education at any Scottish uni. Remember the days when going to uni didn't entail leaving with £20K+ student debt.

Greyduster Thu 28-Jan-21 13:57:56

You can’t have Donnie!! It belongs in Yorkshire and we’ll fight you to the death for it! Choose your weapon! Puddings at dawn!

25Avalon Thu 28-Jan-21 13:53:54

When Scotland becomes independent and joins the EU?

NotSpaghetti Thu 28-Jan-21 13:52:00

I find this super-exciting.
Does this mean that everyone in Scotland will get the "leave the UK" bonus???
???

varian Thu 28-Jan-21 13:49:56

Berwick upon Tweed has been in Scotland and in England at various times. (It is now in England but plays football in the Scottish league).

There is an apocryphal story that Berwick is (or recently has been) officially at war with Russia. According to a story by George Hawthorne in The Guardian of 28 December 1966, the London correspondent of Pravda visited the Mayor of Berwick, Councillor Robert Knox, and the two made a mutual declaration of peace. Knox said "Please tell the Russian people through your newspaper that they can sleep peacefully in their beds." The same story, cited to the Associated Press, appeared in The Baltimore Sun of 17 December 1966; The Washington Post of 18 December 1966; and The Christian Science Monitor of 22 December 1966. At some point in time the real events seem to have been turned into a story of a "Soviet official" having signed a "peace treaty" with Mayor Knox; Knox's remark to the Pravda correspondent was preserved in this version.

The basis for such status was the claim that Berwick had changed hands several times, was traditionally regarded as a special, separate entity, and some proclamations referred to "England, Scotland and the town of Berwick-upon-Tweed". One such was the declaration of the Crimean War against Russia in 1853, which Queen Victoria supposedly signed as "Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, Ireland, Berwick-upon-Tweed and all British Dominions". When the Treaty of Paris was signed to conclude the war, "Berwick-upon-Tweed" was left out. This meant that, supposedly, one of Britain's smallest towns was officially at war with one of the world's largest powers – and the conflict extended by the lack of a peace treaty for over a century.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berwick-upon-Tweed

Alegrias1 Thu 28-Jan-21 13:11:59

Up you come. I'll put the kettle on! grin