Gransnet forums

Chat

AC who call their parents by their Christian names

(95 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 31-Jan-21 10:11:42

Is this a new thing! I’d only ever heard it on Corrie, David calling his mum GAil, obviously there are a lot of step parents known called by their Christian name, I must admit when I first heard someone we know call his mum Louise is did make me do a double take!

ninathenana Thu 04-Feb-21 09:11:53

grandtante my husband always called my mother 'mum' but my dad was Ted.

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 08:47:04

Ooh I don’t like it. For some unknown reason I find it creepy when AC call their parents by their first names. It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Have to laugh though. I once tried to be cool when I was younger and called my uncle by his first name. I was quickly and firmly put right! ?. Never chanced it since. MiL was first name though.

NotSpaghetti Thu 04-Feb-21 08:42:47

Gingster - being called by your name is certainly just as sweet to me as Mum or Granny might sound to others.
Having a tiny person whisper your
name is ?...

Gingster Thu 04-Feb-21 08:33:26

Only one son calls me by my name. In a jokey, loving way. Only sometimes but it’s sweet. The others never do and I’m just mum to them,

mokryna Thu 04-Feb-21 08:25:55

My three daughters still call me mummy. However, second daughter’s children call me granny as does their father, even though I have mentioned that I am not his. It is amusing that, when I take gc to the park to play or when they are with their other cousins, all children will copy them and call me granny, we’re in France. My eldest daughter’s children call me by my Christian name because their other grandparents decided that’s how they wanted to be addressed and I fell in with this. Waiting for third daughter, in England, to settle.

NotSpaghetti Thu 04-Feb-21 01:03:20

I was child before the 70s Trisher
I was married in the 70s.
And yes. I do know they're expensive now. I also have a Carla Emery's An Old-Fashioned Recipe Book - another 70s publication.
www.amazon.co.uk/Fashioned-Recipe-Book-Carla-Emery/dp/0553010689?tag=gransnetforum-21
This one was hand printed and much more interesting I thought.

I think the first-name thing was obviously in pockets. It wasn't widespread but definitely something I came across ahead of the 70s. My own parents didn't do it (or like it) but my husband's did. I was introduced to my (now) mother-in-law by her first name.

I found it works for us. All of our grandchildren call us by our names but three use mummy and daddy to their parents. It doesn't matter to me.
I just wish I got to see them more at the moment!

trisher Wed 03-Feb-21 10:44:24

NotSpaghetti

Trisher ?
You are speaking to someone who still has an old copy of the "Whole Earth Catalogue" - it was WAY before that!

Wow NotSpaghetti you know it's worth between £50-£100 now don't you?

Afrad you've lost me on the time frame. Were you a child in the 70s when these people were using their parents first names?
I never said anyone was a HIppie I said it was part of the Hippie culture. You don't have to be something to be influenced by the ideas springng from it. Nor do you have to be a child. Adults decided to use their parents' names as well.

CanadianGran Wed 03-Feb-21 03:55:46

I know one person who calls his mother by her first name. Her other children do not. I'm not sure when it started, but they all seem to accept it. I remember feeling a bit surprised when I first heard him; I always thought he called her by her first name while speaking of her, but not to her!

My own children will only every call me by my first name when they are trying to get my attention. It works!

NotSpaghetti Wed 03-Feb-21 02:18:23

Sorry just re-read my post. Not trying to be rude, Trisher but these are people I knew as a child.

Also, just because you had "the book" didn't mean you were a "Hippie".

NotSpaghetti Wed 03-Feb-21 01:08:55

Trisher ?
You are speaking to someone who still has an old copy of the "Whole Earth Catalogue" - it was WAY before that!

Kim19 Tue 02-Feb-21 23:08:10

Interesting.......I have one aunt left. She is 98. She has asked me to drop the 'auntie' when I speak to/of her. I've tried and can't. Her name just trips off my tongue automatically and naturally. She just laughs and thinks it sounds daft at our ages but I remind her that the gap hasn't altered. She's terrific.

MissAdventure Tue 02-Feb-21 23:01:44

I have had aunts tell me I really don't have to still call them "aunty", but it was instilled in us to do it.
Even neighbours were "aunts and uncles".

nanna8 Tue 02-Feb-21 22:58:50

My eldest used to do that when she was in her teens but as she got older she started to call me Mum again. The other 3 always called me Mum. My sons in law mostly call me by my first name which I don’t mind at all. I’m not their mother after all. All my grandchildren call me nanna. And gt grandchildren call me great nanna. The eldest decided herself that she was being disrespectful !

Ro60 Tue 02-Feb-21 22:52:21

Not Spaghetti / Trisher: Hippies grow up into professionals - some I know of have very conventional lives. Just like punk rockers in the next decade. Often given the freedom to express themselves away from home at university.

trisher Tue 02-Feb-21 22:34:58

NotSpaghetti the name usage originated in Hippie culture- there was a publication called "The Whole Earth Catalogue" basically a life style manual, published from 1968-71 advocating home-schooling, freedom for children etc. Many of the people who were students then read it, of course they didn't keep up all the hippie aims, they went on into professional careers, it was easy though to allow the name usage. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whole_Earth_Catalog

MissAdventure Tue 02-Feb-21 22:21:02

I went to a "posh" friend's house after work once, and was just totally aghast when she casually kissed her mum and said "Hi Josie".

So different from my own home (which was perfectly happy one)

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Feb-21 22:16:14

Trisher
It was part of the hippie culture that believed imposing rules stifled children's development.

Really?
An accountant, a salesman, a doctor, a company director, a psychiatrist and someone who taught touch-typing... these are people I knew in the 70s who called their parents by their first names.

Joyfulnanna Tue 02-Feb-21 22:11:00

Surely it's "Ju" not "Jew" wink

JuliaM Mon 01-Feb-21 10:47:07

My Grandparents always refered to my Father as 'Son' and never used his Christian name. They always called my Mum by her Christian Name, or a shortened version of it which no one else who Knew her ever used, as she disliked her real Birthname, and prefared to be called a more modern version of it. They also insisted on refering to me as 'Jew' but instisted on everyone refering to them by their formal names, although I was allowed to call them Grandma and Grandad.
We have always been Mum and Dad to our own Daughters, but Grandchildren have been taught to refere to us and their other set of Grandparents as 'Grandma followed by Christian Name, or Grandad followed by Christian Name to help prevent any confusion as to who they are refering to. My Daughters as Teenagers used to refere to my stepmother as 'Carrigan' the name of a charicter in the Ghostbusters Film Casper, an evil stepmother to the family who lived in their Late mothers house with their father. One of the 'Ghosts' used to announce her arrival with a screech of 'The Bitch is Back'! The name was a way of coping with the way this woman treated my Dds in real life, and the signal to ignore her, was by me shouting Carrigan after one of them as a code for 'Take no notice of her'! She didnt have a clue who the charicter was, only that it came from a childrens book, but it did give my DDs some relief from her nastiness!

trisher Mon 01-Feb-21 10:29:11

I remember the trend in the 70s for children to use first names for the adults they encountered. It was part of the hippie culture that believed imposing rules stifled children's development. There were even one or two schools that introduced it.
Mine call me "mum"

silverlining48 Mon 01-Feb-21 09:59:15

Oopsadaisy I know exactly what you mean grin

lemongrove Sun 31-Jan-21 23:34:39

I’m thinking of upgrading ourselves to Mater and Pater ?

dragonfly46 Sun 31-Jan-21 20:36:55

Love that Monica so like mine!

M0nica Sun 31-Jan-21 20:34:02

One of my friends and her DH refused to let their children call them Mummy and Daddy, ever. From birth (in 1970 & 75) the children have always known their parents only by their first names.

Personally, I really didn't like it. I called my parents Mummy and Daddy until the died. DD still calls us Mummy and Daddy, and she is heading for 50. DS calls us Mar and Par, on occasion Aged Parent(s), but he takes his life in his hands if he says it anywhere near me.

Gagagran Sun 31-Jan-21 19:35:29

Our two DC started calling us by our given names when they were students and introduced us to their friends and ultimately partners by those names. We have always been Granny and Grandad to the DGC,

When my DH was so ill last summer, our DS suddenly started referring to him and addressing him as "Dad" and me as "Mum" and I could only think it was because DH was so very ill and at risk of dying. I found it endearing and quite special - he'll be 50 in March. (But is still my boy!)