Gransnet forums

Chat

Some good things should result from this awful *Covid* experience. Where would you like to see improvements ?

(90 Posts)
gangy5 Mon 01-Feb-21 17:22:24

We'll all hope that better management systems within the NHS , * some already being utilised* will help it on the way to other improvements.
It is not that evident at the moment and I have not seen details of how the government intends to alter our employment rights - differing from those we had in EU.
My concern is with regard to the massive number of non jobs in the UK, by this I mean workers employed with no written contract and absolutely no benefits. As there are going to be so many unemployed I can see this situation perpetuating . I get the feeling that as long as the wheels keep turning at the bottom of the pile Tory governments are not concerned with workers rights.
People with decent jobs that can bring a better standard of living will make for a much more satisfied society and also help to reduce crime.
What improvements would you like to see?

PippaZ Thu 04-Feb-21 17:39:44

I would hope we see a party which declares itself fully behind a mixed economy. It is obvious the Conservatives are not, especially as they are being led by the nose by the far right of their party and we know the Labour Party, under it's last leader, although we might have hoped for something new, were not in favour of the post war mixed economy either. I am not sure what they are in favour of under the new leader.

We simply cannot afford to find ourselves in the same position we were in going into the pandemic, where the public services had been so run down they were not fit for purpose.

MayBee70 Thu 04-Feb-21 10:14:46

Especially as the ERG seem to have morphed into an anti lockdown group and are now pulling strings in government.....

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 09:23:54

Alegrias1

Sorry Miss.

Let's say this then.

After the pandemic one of the good things I would like to see is leaders who make hard decisions based on what is best for their populace and not what will make them popular with a small but influential set of people. The outcomes of the pandemic in various countries has shown how important this is for people's lives.

Clear enough?

?❤️

Alegrias1 Thu 04-Feb-21 09:22:47

Sorry Miss.

Let's say this then.

After the pandemic one of the good things I would like to see is leaders who make hard decisions based on what is best for their populace and not what will make them popular with a small but influential set of people. The outcomes of the pandemic in various countries has shown how important this is for people's lives.

Clear enough?

gangy5 Thu 04-Feb-21 09:16:28

Thank you for your contributions to this thread Alegrias1 and WW010 I think that most would agree that they have no relevance to the subject we are discussing.

WW010 Thu 04-Feb-21 09:03:03

Alegrias1

hbr.org/2020/04/what-good-leadership-looks-like-during-this-pandemic

????

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 18:18:11

nanna8

Nah - we’ve all gone back to hugging here. No one does that silly elbow touching. Guess if and when IT comes back via overseas travellers we will have to stop hugging and kissing but meanwhile ....

I tried to resurrect the regency curtsey as a way of greeting people but everyone laughed.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:48:54

gangy5

We are not discussing the performance of Government here but thinking ahead with a little optimism - suggesting what can be done to make improvements instead of reverting back to the norm when all this is over.

I think I was agreeing with your latter point. It would be a lost opportunity if everything just went back to the way it was before.

Unfortunately, I also think we need a fresh approach to the funding of the NHS. .

gangy5 Wed 03-Feb-21 17:40:02

I agree with all that has been said concerning the environment and would add that action is urgent.

Nanny27 (Feb.2nd. 11.09)
A good point about not opening retail on Sundays and Bank Holidays. Unfortunately commercial interests appear to be much more important than family values. It would be good if parents could find more time to spend doing things as a family unit.

buylocal (Feb.2nd. 11.53)
I agree with you that my non job description wasn't quite right. I was trying to think of a name for jobs that have no prospects and no rights.

eagleswings (Feb.2nd. 13.03) I liked the importance you stressed on apprenticeships and vocational training. Also the importance of life skills. In recent years too much emphasis has been placed on academic subjects - these alone do not produce a rounded citizen.

GrannyRose15 (Feb.2nd. 16.05) I concur with all your comments.
Can't see the NHS continuing to be free at the point of service unless great savings can be made..... and am unable to suggest how it should be financed.

gangy5 Wed 03-Feb-21 16:34:48

We are not discussing the performance of Government here but thinking ahead with a little optimism - suggesting what can be done to make improvements instead of reverting back to the norm when all this is over.

Alegrias1 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:50:09

hbr.org/2020/04/what-good-leadership-looks-like-during-this-pandemic

Nanny27 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:45:32

I'm surprised at the earlier post that suggests teachers don't need a degree. How would you be able to study your subject to a high enough level without one? There would be no point trying to teach an A level subject if you had only been educated to that level yourself.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:01:44

jenni123

Best change would be a change of government.

I am wondering who you think would have made a better job of tackling this crisis we have found ourselves in. Yes this government has made mistakes and you'll get your chance to change it in 2024 but would anyone else have done any better?

It may be that, after this is over, we all decide we want a different way of doing things. But it will take more than simply a change of government to achieve many of the things that have been mentioned on this post. We will all need to change.

jenni123 Wed 03-Feb-21 12:52:51

Best change would be a change of government.

nanna8 Wed 03-Feb-21 11:40:05

Nah - we’ve all gone back to hugging here. No one does that silly elbow touching. Guess if and when IT comes back via overseas travellers we will have to stop hugging and kissing but meanwhile ....

Urmstongran Wed 03-Feb-21 08:50:41

My friends and I have noticed how much cleaner everywhere is. I hope this extra attention to hygiene outside will continue. On a personal level I’m going to continue washing my hands every time I arrive home and when in Spain, no double ‘mwah-mwah’ air kissing. I’ve gotten quite used to just greeting people with a simple ‘hello’ now, (here and over there) and actually prefer it.

PippaZ Wed 03-Feb-21 08:45:58

Lilyflower

I would like to see freedom valued.

What does that mean?

We tend to value the good of all over the freedom to do exactly what you want whereas the USA seems to be the one country where individual rights are valued above the public good.

I would not like us to become like the USA.

PippaZ Wed 03-Feb-21 08:33:51

One of the good things which could/should result from this awful Covid experience is stopping silly little mantras from politicians. What, exactly, does Build Back Better mean? Fairly obviously it means whatever the hearer wants it to mean and is therefore meaningless.

If politicians would read and understand the recent Marmot report entitled Build Back Fairer and then use that mantra, it would mean something. A fairer system is what we need for the future in my opinion.

Obviously we would have to get rid of this government for that to happen.

tinyurl.com/22vgjat2

PippaZ Wed 03-Feb-21 08:23:18

Poppyred

Cutting degree courses from 3 years to 18 months would seem sensible all round. Most students seem to only have one or two lectures a week and paying ludicrous amounts of money for the privilege!

Did you do a degree yourself Poppyred? If so you seem to have forgotten it is not about the classroom teaching of school but much more about personal learning which is taught and guided in lectures, seminars and tutorials; the last sometimes being one to one. If there is one thing we need our new adults to be good at it's knowing how to acquire new knowledge when there is a change in what we need.

Thank heavens the scientists who have produced the various vaccines did not have someone running higher education who sees it as you see it.

Now if you were to suggest changes in further education we might be getting somewhere or even changes in all education - appropriate to what is possible and what is needed - to include online education as a way of expanding tuition.

vegansrock Wed 03-Feb-21 05:16:58

Get rid of GCSEs and trust teacher assessment. External exams at 18.

CocoPops Wed 03-Feb-21 05:16:27

I'd love the UK to restore social care to the NHS.
Margaret Thatcher and her Government privatised social care and her legacy has left the elderly frail and people with serious and long term disabilities at the mercy of profiteers.
Councils with a lack of funding put social care out to tender for a cheap deal whereas the emphasis should be on the quality of care.
I hope the pandemic results in a more caring, compassionate society which enables people in need of care to be looked after properly whether they live at home or elsewhere.

grannybuy Wed 03-Feb-21 00:33:40

I'd like people to make more use of the high street shops that are left. When shops are sitting empty, councils aren't getting rent/council tax, which means there is going to be even less money than usual to cover our services, therefore our rents and taxes will go up to cover the shortfall.

Lettice Tue 02-Feb-21 18:31:06

I am not going to go into the ins and outs of what I would like to happen as it would fill a book, but I would like to see regional government addressing peoples' real and local needs, and leave Westminster to deal with the overall, bigger picture of the nation's face and position globally. I really do not believe they are capable of doing both internal and external governance.

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Tue 02-Feb-21 18:28:40

I'd like to see the high streets filled with independent shops and businesses that aren't crippled by high rents and rates. Be great to have some choice and to see some new businesses thriving.

chazwin Tue 02-Feb-21 17:59:49

There are tree times as many billionares in the UK since the "CRASH". Time to take some of that back.
Much higher taxes for the rich; the end of offshore tax havens, and take the money and do the following:
1) Spend £350 million per week more on the NHS as promised
2) Give all NHS staff and immediate £1000 bonus, same for Drs, nurses and porters.
3) Start an independant commission to look at the governments utter failure to deal with the pandemic, and to prepare for the next one. Staff the commssion with experts from New Zealand or Japan where they know what to do.