Gransnet forums

Chat

Confusion re Covid vaccine appointments

(7 Posts)
maydonoz Tue 02-Feb-21 18:45:22

Yesterday I was delighted to receive my NHS invitation to book my Covid vaccine appointments. As suggested I went online and booked the 1st one at a place (don't think it's a surgery) not too far from my home, however the 2nd one was booked for a pharmacy about an hour's drive away.
Then surprise, surprise today I had a message on my mobile to contact a local surgery group to book for my vaccine! When I contacted them, I was given the 1st and 2nd appointments at the same surgery which is fairly local, although not my surgery. When I explained to the receptionist about the
other appointments she said
"this seems to be happening alot"
It seems a shame all the waste of time and energy, I wonder how many other unnecessary letters went out.
Now I have to try to cancel the ones I booked yesterday!

MissAdventure Tue 02-Feb-21 18:50:15

You wouldn't believe the trouble I've had trying to book mine.
It's like the secret service trying to speak to a person.

My colleague and I have spent the last fortnight trying to find out when and how to get ours.

Jaxjacky Tue 02-Feb-21 18:54:59

I think they’re covering all bases, letters come from NHS, texts from GP, some people don’t check mobile/switched off/number changed etc. So at least they get the letter.

Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 19:05:19

I had the letter shortly after I’d had the first jab (booked after a phone call from the surgery.)

IMO it’s an insurance measure, since some people may have missed a call and don’t have an answer phone (or don’t check messages) or just have a mobile with poor reception, etc.
So nobody will be forgotten or fall through the net.

My letter did state quite clearly that if I’d already been contacted and booked by the GP surgery, the letter should be ignored.
So I don’t think it’s necessarily confusing, as long as people do actually read what they’re sent. Mine did come in several languages, too.

YorkLady Tue 02-Feb-21 19:39:19

OH had his vaccine on Sunday, Local Vaccine centre booked through Doctors.
The only benefit of booking on line is that you have your second appointment date.
Local Vaccine centres here are just getting “back in touch, when the time arrives”! That could be quicker than the 12 weeks, as they appear to be very efficient..

Daddima Tue 02-Feb-21 20:13:11

I had ‘the call’ today from my GP surgery, telling me to go to a vaccination centre tomorrow. She said I would probably get a text telling me to go to the surgery, but I was to disregard it.

maydonoz Wed 03-Feb-21 08:26:28

Just to follow up, we (with DH's help) managed to cancel the two original appointments and had a message of confirmation to that effect.
It seems it's the centralised system and the local system working to make sure we get our vaccine.