Gransnet forums

Chat

Accents, Do you have a fav?

(190 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:00:24

For me it’s the french, and also I love a brummie accent could listen to both all day

jeanio Sat 06-Feb-21 16:53:06

Geordie and Irish for me.

Lin663 Sat 06-Feb-21 16:52:56

I think in any city there are very strong accents which are difficult to listen to and there are soft accents which are charming. My parents are from Belfast but do not have that hard, grating form of the accent. I lived in Manchester for many years and had friends whose accents were dreadful and others who sounded just fine. You can’t just generalise about the accents of any geographical area..

dolphindaisy Sat 06-Feb-21 16:44:09

As someone who has spent years trying to soften her Geordie accent I'm delighted to see so many people like it. Personally I love all Irish accents but I'm afraid I don't like cockney. Sadly I still feel inferior when someone speaks to me in a plummy voice, they always seem to be looking down their nose at the same time.

Noreen3 Sat 06-Feb-21 16:24:58

I love Irish accents

Happysexagenarian Sat 06-Feb-21 16:07:19

I love a French accent, so romantic.
Also southern Irish, warm and welcoming.
Where we live a Hampshire accent is sometimes heard and is soft and pleasant.

I can't listen to a Brummie voice for long, it just grates on my ears. Sorry all Brummie GNers!

Baggs Sat 06-Feb-21 16:05:05

I haven't lived in north Lancashire since I left for university but I've always loved hearing the local accent when I travelled back to visit my parents. It felt very homely and welcoming.

Tea3 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:58:55

LullyDully, I’ve always thought it meant going the long way round to your destination and was local to the Wrekin area. But given the proximity to B’ham, you may be right.

LullyDully Sat 06-Feb-21 15:33:50

Am I right in believing the expression " All round the Wrekin " is a Brummie expression, haven't heard it any where else? It is useful and we use it for our daily circular walk .

Sleepygran Sat 06-Feb-21 15:22:27

I like the Yorkshire accent,,it somehow seems honest.
I don’t like the South African accent.

earnshaw Sat 06-Feb-21 15:15:48

i do not like east end but love scouse accents, also like geordie, talking about countries, i dont like australian and south african but like american

Sarell10 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:07:39

I love a Italian accent and a soft Scottish one.

Tea3 Sat 06-Feb-21 15:02:48

I’m with the ‘love any regional accent’ brigade. An accent seems to give a person more depth of character. But I absolutely detest a ‘strangled by the old school tie’ accent or cut glass, as an earlier poster called it. I’m sure these unfortunates are often lovely people but truly they would benefit from some elocution lessons so they sound more normal.

Callistemon Sat 06-Feb-21 14:40:58

then Welsh a close second.

Which Welsh accent though?

annodomini Sat 06-Feb-21 14:39:12

French accents can vary, but the one I love is Arsene Wenger's, but now that he is no longer with Arsenal, we don't hear so much of him. sad As for Scottish accents of which there are many, the Highland accent is beautiful; my native county of Ayrshire has several accents, the least attractive being an irritating drawl.

4allweknow Sat 06-Feb-21 14:38:49

Can't say I dislike any accent. Some I find more difficult than others to understand but then I find it hard to understand a lot of folk who mumble, hardly bother to open their mouth when speaking no matter what accent.

Bridie22 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:32:21

Definitely Geordie, then Welsh a close second.

BusterTank Sat 06-Feb-21 14:29:04

The spanish accent does for me and also like the latino look .

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 06-Feb-21 14:21:02

I love the southern Irish accent, North Wales and Inverness accents.

Bluebel Sat 06-Feb-21 14:20:00

I love Irish accent.Also Yorkshire,husband from Yorkshire.Im from black country.Thankyou to those who like it.??

posset Sat 06-Feb-21 14:01:00

Having grown up in the Lake District it has to be Cumbrian for me - though I can understand it probably isn't on anyone's list!

moggie57 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:54:14

I love the southern USA accent but in the UK has to be sussex

Unigran4 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:45:14

Not sure what the accent is, but I could listen to "Amy" from Emmerdale all day.

poshpaws Sat 06-Feb-21 13:40:15

NotAGran55

Geordie , absolutely no contest.

Totally with you on that one!

Llamedos13 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:39:04

I have a Belfast accent and cringe whenever I hear myself. I’ve lived in Canada over 35 years and people here tell me how they love my accent, I had one woman tell me she could listen to me talk all day long?

Granny23 Sat 06-Feb-21 13:31:06

My all time favourite is native Gaelic speakers (Irish or Scottish) when speaking in English. blush