Gransnet forums

Chat

Accents, Do you have a fav?

(190 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:00:24

For me it’s the french, and also I love a brummie accent could listen to both all day

grandmajet Fri 05-Feb-21 16:25:05

I love the Geordie accent, although I can’t understand a word that they’re saying. I also so like janner, the real Plymouth accent, as I lived there in my teens. Reet, m’lover!

Shinamae Fri 05-Feb-21 16:17:38

Absolute least favourite is South African.

Nicegranny Fri 05-Feb-21 16:14:41

Give me ‘Jamie Frazier’s’ accent any time.
In fact give me him too ?

crazyH Fri 05-Feb-21 16:12:38

American accent - I love the way they roll their ‘Rs’

GagaJo Fri 05-Feb-21 16:08:34

When I moved up north, everyone would ask me 'Are you a cockney?' HOW they heard broad Norfolk as cockney I don't know!

Nannarose Fri 05-Feb-21 16:02:23

Yes, Sue, I find that all of the areas around London have been heavily influenced by London accents - beginning I suppose with the relocation after WW2, but continuing.
You have to speak to quite elderly people to hear 'real' Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire accents.
I like the way that language and ways of talking change over time, but I do feel a bit sad at how dominant London has become in the south over the last 2-3 generations.

SueDonim Fri 05-Feb-21 15:53:02

I don’t really notice accents unless they’re broad.

To those who mention the Kent accent, it’s changed so much in 50 years. I am originally from Kent, but have lived in Scotland for much of the past 40 years. When I go back, what passes as the Kent accent today is unrecognisable as the accent then. Speaking to my brother and BIL, they still have the old Kent accent and it’s rather lovely, soft and rolling.

janeainsworth Fri 05-Feb-21 14:33:01

I like most regional accents, provided they’re not too harsh.
I find Jim Naughtie and Melvyn Bragg a pleasure to listen to.

But recently Radio 4 seems to have adopted a policy of only employing people with northern accents, some of which don’t even sound genuine, but acquired for the purpose.
Some are so broad that they are occasionally difficult to understand - eg Nick Eardley (Glasgow) and Sarah Corker (hybrid Lancashire).
Sarah Corker also intones in such a way that you’d be forgiven for thinking she’s telling a story to a class of four-year-olds, not reporting on a national news networkhmm

Nannarose Fri 05-Feb-21 13:54:49

East Midlands, me duck

Curlywhirly Fri 05-Feb-21 13:46:02

Love to hear French and Italian people speaking English, and think Italian is my favourite foreign language (obviously biased as I'm half Italian!). My favourite here are the North East, Southern Ireland, a soft Scottish one, and a soft Welsh one. Hate my own accent - it's more Lancashire than Cheshire. Can't bear an American accent and a few English ones (won't mention which ones, don't want to offend anyone!). I cringe when posters on here complain about Priti Patel's speech delivery- believe me, it's so much better than mine! Would love to speak with a RP accent, but sadly it's wasn't to be ?

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Feb-21 12:54:04

Husband is from Belfast, which obviously I like, we did a lot of ‘courting’ over the phone. The accent has softened over the years, he gets a bit of stick when we pop back to visit! I too like a French accent.

paddyanne Fri 05-Feb-21 12:51:18

I do like an Italian accent ,might be a throwback to an Italian boyfriend when I was 15 and a Donegal accent reminds me of my much loved Granny and always makes me smile

grannyactivist Fri 05-Feb-21 12:47:10

I like accents from the North East of England, the South of Ireland, some parts of Scotland, Slovakia, and France.

It’s not that I don’t like it, but the real Plymouth (janner) accent is very hard for me to understand and I also once had a lady in Dumfries talk to me for ten minutes (I was waiting at a bus stop) and I didn’t understand a word she said because her accent was so pronounced.

TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-21 12:32:38

...... oh and some Australian and New Zealand accents too.

TerriBull Fri 05-Feb-21 12:31:38

French absolutely love it! Then Italian, Spanish particularly as spoken by Latin Americans, there is a difference. I like Welsh and southern Irish.

timetogo2016 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:24:38

Black country/Brummie.
Especially as i am a Brummie and dh has a black country accent .
My family really struggle to understand him which is hilarious.

nadateturbe Fri 05-Feb-21 12:18:13

Not just me then Kircubbin.

Newatthis Fri 05-Feb-21 12:08:37

I think all English/Irish/Scottish and Welsh accents are wonderful and they are what make our country unique. Where can you go in the world where the accent will change just a few miles down the road. So many people judge others by their accent and it's such a pity and let's face it - if everyone spoke with RP then most many people would 'tune out' to many conversations.

muse Fri 05-Feb-21 11:56:13

When speaking English for me it's:
Dublin
Mid Wales

When speaking their own language;
Italian

cornishpatsy Fri 05-Feb-21 11:49:59

I cannot think of any that I do not like although Kent is a bit dull.

Love Irish, Welsh and Yorkshire.

Susiewong65 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:48:52

I like the Northumberland accent and the Cornish accent.
Currently enjoying the Cornish fishing series of programmes so I can listen to it.

Grandma70s Fri 05-Feb-21 11:44:01

If we’re doing dislikes, I find Essex or Kent very hard to listen to. It’s not just northern accents that people find unpleasant.

GagaJo Fri 05-Feb-21 11:39:00

Northumberland accent is nice. Geordie less so.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Feb-21 11:38:04

Anything but Liverpool.

Ngaio1 Fri 05-Feb-21 11:36:57

South African. French accents are a delight as is Italian. Don't like guttural (German/East European) ones. Cannot stand Geordie, Brummie or most Northern ones. Possibly because my hearing is not brilliant and I find them difficult to understand!