Gransnet forums

Chat

Does anyone else have a ‘help me get through this ‘ Mantra?

(82 Posts)
Oopsadaisy1 Mon 08-Feb-21 11:19:34

I had one when our daughter was very ill, it was part of a song
‘Everything’s gonna be all right, everything’s gonna be ok’ it went round and round in my head and kept me from thinking of the worse case scenario.

Recently I heard that Clint Eastwood says every morning ‘Don’t let the old man in’ to himself.
Toby Keith wrote a song about it (it was used in a Clint Eastwood film) and another line was ‘ if you didn’t know when you were born , how old would you be?’
My new Mantra is now ‘Don’t let the old woman in’ I dread being the person who naps in the afternoon because she’s getting on a bit and then slows down.
Obviously if I’m ill and need a sleep that’s a different matter, but I’m not going to act like an old woman until I’m unable to move around and do things.

So p, just wait until lockdown ends, I’m not going to act my age, just the age in my head. Better warn the family I guess.

Cymres1 Thu 11-Feb-21 00:46:38

LucyLockett, I am completely sympathetic about being bullied out of a job. Happened to me after years of professional career, one vicious harpie decided to ruin my career, reputation and confidence.
My resolve now is to remember when I walk down a beautiful country lane in the sunshine with my dogs, that piece of nastiness is sitting in an office drowning in paperwork, and my mantra is Enjoy the Day. She can't.
I no longer think about her much, vile woman, she's not worth my head space. Hope you can recover from the ordeal, it took a while for me, but we're worth more. ?

kaycee Wed 10-Feb-21 10:48:52

I often remind myself of the advice given by the late, great Humphrey Littleton - "Never lose touch with silly".

misty34 Wed 10-Feb-21 00:19:19

Ooopsadaisy1
I nap most afternoons, it is not giving in to old age in my book. I then stay up until the wee hours drinking wine and listening to heavy metal music and logging on to Gransnet. It works for me. Don't knock it until you have tried it. It can be fun Lol

NanaOlwyn Tue 09-Feb-21 23:00:19

Worrying/ stressing only ever makes a bad situation worse. Let it be.

seadragon Tue 09-Feb-21 20:11:08

As well as 'This too will pass" mentioned by others here, My mum used to say "Nothing lasts forever". Both have got me through hard times

nexus63 Tue 09-Feb-21 19:04:29

my mantra has always been the same as my granny, if it's for you it won't go by you, i have never been a poor me person, if i can't change it then i just get on with it, i said it to my cancer consultant 2 years ago and he said...god my wee granny used to say that.

hollysteers Tue 09-Feb-21 18:10:14

I second fevertree and the Bob Marley song, just lovely.

When I nursed my mother at the end, I used to tell myself to “Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood” Henry V and to “gird up my loins”.

Alioop Tue 09-Feb-21 17:46:51

Just wait and see what tomorrow brings.....

Davida1968 Tue 09-Feb-21 17:38:00

Like tabbycat, one of my mantras is: "just keep swimmimg....." from the film "Finding Nemo". And like other GNs here, another is: "all things must pass...." (Which is also the title track of a great album by George Harrison, circa 1970.)

DanniRae Tue 09-Feb-21 16:15:14

A few years ago, dreading the funeral of a close family member, I wrote, in my head, a mantra that I still use now if I am fearful about something in the future:

It will come and it will go,
Whether fast or whether slow,
One thing that I surely know is
It will come and it will go.........

sharon103 Tue 09-Feb-21 15:19:57

I've always said tomorrow's another day.
I've recently adopted what Captain Sir Tom said, tomorrow will be a good day.

Tillymint21 Tue 09-Feb-21 15:14:11

‘Now Is All’ - it helps me focus back on today and stops me worrying about tomorrow.

Sawsage2 Tue 09-Feb-21 14:47:42

Nowt worse than a 'Stray P' upsadaisy1! ?

Susieq62 Tue 09-Feb-21 14:34:24

I say Anne Frank!! To myself!!
She did almost 3 years in almost total silence! At least I can go for a walk or phone a friend ?

fuseta Tue 09-Feb-21 13:43:00

LondonMzFitz I used to sing that song from Jesus Christ Superstar as a lullaby to my children! Nice memory!

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-Feb-21 13:40:49

Oops my not me!

Cherrytree59 Tue 09-Feb-21 13:40:02

I try to channel me inner Gloria Gaynor.....

'I will survive' and/or
'I am what I am'

buylocal Tue 09-Feb-21 13:24:44

'This too will pass'

Elvis58 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:55:55

You are the master of your own happiness!

halfpint1 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:50:15

When I moved on from my marriage and started my own
life and business

'everything's goin to be alright,
just take one step a day'

My daughters says they now chant that when the going
gets tough and they sent me a video link of someone
singing that song in a remix, brought tears to my eyes.

Noreen3 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:47:45

I keep thinking of what Captain Sir Tom said- Tomorrow will be a good day

Nagmad2016 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:47:18

I just keep thinking Che sera, sera, whatever will be will be.
However much we try to predict our future, Che Sera Sera.
Nice little tune too.

GagaJo Tue 09-Feb-21 12:26:09

Urgh. I feel (and look probably) about 100 at the moment.

Bridgeit Tue 09-Feb-21 12:21:07

I’m going to be/do the opposite , I will let the older me take over, may even result in a few previously unsaid comments popping out ??

Daffydilly Tue 09-Feb-21 12:17:32

Mine is from the Great Marigold Hotel film.

"It will be alright in the end, and if it is not alright, it is clearly not the end..."