Phrases your mother used

(233 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 10-Feb-21 06:47:12

My Mum used to say a lot of things but a couple I remember particularly are
‘You’re a long time dead’ i.e. enjoy yourself whilst you can and
‘If you can’t say anything good about someone, don’t say anything at all’
Pretty cluey some of the older ones .

Florida12 Sun 14-Feb-21 14:04:48

“If you two don’t stop bickering I’ll bang your heads together.

cupcake1 Sun 14-Feb-21 13:58:38

Nannan2 ??! Those were the days !

widgeon3 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:42:17

....and from a grandfather 'show me what you eat and I'll tell you what you are''

widgeon3 Sun 14-Feb-21 12:40:55

''What's a big girl like you ( all of 2 ) doing crying over a little thing like that''.... said with the greatest concern by my father. Still makes me stop showing any feelings at over 80
Heard from my Staffordshire grandmother only once ( it was so rude!) of a pompous and loud woman. 'She's just a fart in a colander.'
From my Yorkshire grandmother when I bought myself a new dress' Blue and green not fit to be seen, except on the head of an Irish queen'
From the same woman who always bought size 3 shoes when her true ? size was 4.5 '' Pride must abide'' She would stuff the new shoes with freshly scrubbed, damp potatoes, to stretch them. maybe over several days
From my mother ' Queen Anne front, Mary Anne behind' of someone with pretentions
When I complained of what my younger brother had done, my mother would say,' It's always you who makes the bullets for him to shoot''

grandtanteJE65 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:56:50

Oh, at a parents'-teachers' meeting I automatically asked a child who said "she" of his mother who was sitting beside him, "And who is "she"?

He got the point and said, " I meant my mother" The mother was in a fit of giggles.

"She" was reputed to be our cat's aunt when I was little

There are some much-needed lovely laughs here thank you all..

Missingmoominmama Sun 14-Feb-21 11:29:11

Mum used to say ‘Blood and Sand’ as an expletive. Also ‘Knickerless girls shouldn’t climb trees’ (whenever she heard the name Nicholas).

If I asked where Dad was, she used to say he’d, ‘gone to see a man about a dog’.

Nannan2 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:25:18

Cupcake1- we used to have that one replaced with-"a Blackpool donkey"?

Nannan2 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:20:33

My mam, and gran as well, had so many 'speaks' to mention..but now i hear myself repeating them, so some of it must have sunk in.(i also hear my DD's repeating a few now, but haven't mentioned that)?

Nannan2 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:17:14

' still waters run deep' i think is more or less same meaning as 'they are a dark horse' meaning there's more to that person than they let on.or still water belying what's going on underneath the water!

coast35 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:17:11

My Mum. You’ll be laughing on the other side of your face!

Harris27 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:15:59

This won’t get the baby a new bonnet! Loved that phrase.

GablesEnd2 Sun 14-Feb-21 11:10:31

Well, who’s a Bobby dazzler. A compliment when you look nice

inishowen Sun 14-Feb-21 11:03:16

There are no pockets in shrouds. In other words, spend your money when you can.

M0nica Sat 13-Feb-21 12:05:06

My lovely MiL, finding a knife she was using was blunt would say 'It is so blunt, I could fly bare-arsed round the moon on it'

She had a fund of these sayings, most of which I can only remember when reminded. Someone who talked a lot had ' gob like a 40s iron pot. And one DH uses, but I am sure came from his mother 'His/her get up and go, got up and went'.

arosebyanyothername Fri 12-Feb-21 23:39:20

If you didn’t shut the door behind you she’d shout
“Were you born in a barn? Put the wood in the hole!!”

GagaJo Fri 12-Feb-21 23:25:58

Ooooo rozina. Are you from Norfolk? My mum used both of those.

Also 'Here it isn't.' when waiting for a bus.

rozina Fri 12-Feb-21 22:56:57

My mother used to say “I’m not as green as I’m cabbage looking”!!! WHAT ON EARTH DID THAT MEAN! She also used to say “It’s black over Bill’s Mothers........... (we never did know who Bill was).

DanniRae Fri 12-Feb-21 17:13:37

My grandma bought up 9 children and to try and keep the place tidy used to say "Don't put it down - put it away!"

If I told my mum I was bored she would say "I wish I had time to be bored."

silverlining48 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:12:15

It was being sent to Siberia if I didn’t behave....yes I know it’s unusual and would be a comfort to find someone also terrified by the idea of being stuck in Siberia. ... but think it might just be me..... and the snow....and the wolves.....

cupcake1 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:56:50

“Up and down like a Weston donkey “ Somerset saying as donkeys used to walk up and down the beach giving children rides- for a price of course!

Sloegin Fri 12-Feb-21 16:45:35

Llamedos13
Not one my mother used but often heard it in Belfast.

Mistymoocake Fri 12-Feb-21 16:28:55

I used to work with two older ladies and theirs were
I've been up and down like a dogs hind leg
Another day older and deeper in dept.
Another day older and nearer my grave
Married for (number) you only get 10 years for murder
Don't mind me I'm just a pleb
A monkey could do my job going by what I'm paid

agnurse Fri 12-Feb-21 16:13:20

B9exchange

My mum used to say, "If you can't take the time to do it right, you can take the time to do it over".

Bellanonna Fri 12-Feb-21 16:02:20

Charleygirl, it was usually a gooseberry bush for some reason. Or a stork.

Lilylaundry Fri 12-Feb-21 15:55:19

Tiss a blessing god has geen (given),
Mucky watter washes clean.

Her dad was a miner and miners knew all about 'mucky watter' and wanting to wash off caked-on coal dust. 'Mucky watter' was better than no 'watter'.