Gransnet forums

Chat

I need a sentence with the word gaseous in....

(34 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 10:02:11

..........this is for my GS's school work. He is 9.

I am struggling to think of one that would make sense to him.

Any ideas?

mamaa Thu 11-Feb-21 20:10:04

Luckygirl

His list has eous and ious all jumbled up - I am not sure that is helpful really. I think it would be easier for him to consolidate one before mixing up with the other. Interestingly, if I ask him to spell them out loud he gets it wrong - but if I ask him to write them he gets them right.

Don't mention Gove to me............!

Totally agree on all counts! Still seeth whenever I see Govius on the tv- wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him and these days it’s less than it was!grin

Callistemon Thu 11-Feb-21 17:31:48

Odious Govius tended to be gaseous.

ie he is a gas bag
Perhaps better not use that one although his teacher may approve.

Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 17:11:32

His list has eous and ious all jumbled up - I am not sure that is helpful really. I think it would be easier for him to consolidate one before mixing up with the other. Interestingly, if I ask him to spell them out loud he gets it wrong - but if I ask him to write them he gets them right.

Don't mention Gove to me............!

mamaa Thu 11-Feb-21 16:39:09

Ah I see, is he learning 'eous' words- as that's how I used to teach them- put them in context into a sentence and the words off the list (ie in this case all the eous words) must be spelt correctly when the sentence is dictated for the children to write down.
This was one of the gaseous wink Mr Gove's educational reforms back in 2014, each year group were given a list of words which they had to be able to spell correctly by the end of that academic year. Y6's words were interesting to say the least and initially had a direct impact on the child's formal SAT writing assessment at the end of year as they had to be incorporated in writing and spelt without help ie independently. This was later changed- good thing too as many a child found writing spontaneously wink difficult if certain words had to be incorporated...

downtoearth Thu 11-Feb-21 16:21:54

parsley our household has contributed quite considerablygrin

Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 16:09:20

I am so impressed with the collective wisdom here that I will return for help with GS's school work again! grin

LauraNorder Thu 11-Feb-21 13:31:17

Not helpful, sorry

LauraNorder Thu 11-Feb-21 13:29:42

How to thank a Spaniard who is afraid of his own r's

Gaseous

Parsley3 Thu 11-Feb-21 13:21:47

Mr P has much in common with the ozone layer.?

downtoearth Thu 11-Feb-21 13:05:18

The ozone layer has been affected by gaseous emissions

Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 13:00:26

Ah - but the instruction from the teacher is that I should make up a sentence (from his spelling list words), dictate it to him and he writes it out.

cornishpatsy Thu 11-Feb-21 12:57:00

Maybe he should come up with suggestions to show that he understands the meaning of the word.

muse Thu 11-Feb-21 12:51:00

Luckygirl

Spontaneous!

Could be related to gaseous eructations maybe?

Mum made a spontaneous decision never to buy Brussels sprouts again because of their gaseous properties.

BlueSky Thu 11-Feb-21 12:50:40

“I feel gaseous need some Andrews Liver Salts”! grin

Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 12:47:29

Maybe we could consider them to be liquid with gaseous elements!

Riverwalk Thu 11-Feb-21 12:31:12

Alegrias1

So...about to make myself unpopular...

Fizzy drinks aren't gaseous, they're liquid. And gassy. blush

Glad you said that Alegrias - I didn't want to be a know-all! grin

Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 11:59:20

Spontaneous!

Could be related to gaseous eructations maybe?

muse Thu 11-Feb-21 11:42:04

Beware when eating too many Brussels sprouts because they have gaseous properties.

What's his next word Luckygirl? This could keep me going till lunch smile

Baggs Thu 11-Feb-21 11:33:59

You could say cow farts if you want. And then they can get into a conversation about methane.

Baggs Thu 11-Feb-21 11:33:19

Since your GS is nine, try this one: farts can be gaseous. His classmates will love it.

Alegrias1 Thu 11-Feb-21 11:29:59

So...about to make myself unpopular...

Fizzy drinks aren't gaseous, they're liquid. And gassy. blush

dracool Thu 11-Feb-21 11:26:00

The boxer Mohammed Ali used to be called gaseous clay grin

Luckygirl Thu 11-Feb-21 11:25:48

Lots of thanks - I went with the fizzy drinks - and he managed to spell gaseous right! - so maybe I have not been talking to myself all week. smile

Blossoming Thu 11-Feb-21 11:18:45

Jupiter is a gaseous planet and is called a gas giant.

vampirequeen Thu 11-Feb-21 11:05:51

Paulinus Gaseous could never understand why people didn't like to sit next to him.