Gransnet forums

Chat

Who's made you laugh?

(118 Posts)
muse Tue 16-Feb-21 12:24:00

When doing the thread about gigs, I got to thinking of all the comedians I've seen live. Not many but these are them
:
Rob Brydon (heard nearly all the material before on TV shows)
Jasper Carrott
French and Saunders
Mark Watson
Jack Whitehall
Sarah Millican
Miranda Hart
But the one that outshines them all was Victoria Wood. Saw her twice and sadly miss her.

One I would love to see is Billy Connolly and a stage performance of The Goons.

Who've you seen or would love/loved to have seen?

sodapop Fri 19-Feb-21 22:21:31

Another Dave Allan fan here also
Angus Deayton
Victoria Wood
The Two Ronnies

PattyFingers Fri 19-Feb-21 18:47:22

I saw Ben Elton live once and was crying with laughter most of the show. I was worn out by the end.

Juliet27 Fri 19-Feb-21 12:11:35

I saw Jasper Carrott once but the woman behind me kept saying ‘oh this ones good, I heard it at...’. etc. etc. I shook my head once or twice and she said ‘someone doesn’t appreciate him’. That’s when I should have turned and punched her.

grandmajet Fri 19-Feb-21 10:03:45

Yes, I’d forgotten about Pam Ayers. She’s great.
Any more women?

Snowbell Fri 19-Feb-21 09:05:32

Would you count Pam Ayres? I see her every time she comes to a local theatre. She's just so natural. Seen several others including Jack Dee, Paul Merton, Milton Jones and Bill Bailey but always been a bit disappointed because I'd already seen a lot of the material on TV and the tickets are so expensive.

Sawsage2 Fri 19-Feb-21 00:55:08

Richard Ayowade
Bob Mortimer
John Shuttleworth

All acquired tastes I know but that's me ?

Legs55 Thu 18-Feb-21 23:30:43

Ken Dodd was brilliant, I saw him quite a few times, never stopped laughing & you daren't movegrin . Jim Davidson was very good & one of my other favourites was Mike Reid (Frank Butcher in Eastenders). I have most of Mike Reid's DVDs, must get them out to watch again.

jidshurl Thu 18-Feb-21 22:15:07

Have seen quite a few but Peter Kay for me was the funniest of all !

earnshaw Thu 18-Feb-21 21:48:01

my favourite is Peter Kay, he always makes me laugh and Morecambe and Wise, and Ken Dodd, notice none of them are the current ones, they just dont do anything for me at all, especially Alan Carr

Purpledaffodil Thu 18-Feb-21 20:26:22

In the 60s we saw Billy Connolly live when he was in a folk duo called the Stumblebums. He was very funny but it was a folk club and those who were there for the singing were very put out and shouted for him to stop talking ?

muse Thu 18-Feb-21 20:09:30

Rufus2

^a stage performance of The Goons^
Muse If you mean what I think you mean, then "No Way"
The magic of the Goons lay essentially with "steam radio" and resided entirely within your own imagination.
Your "Eccles" would look nothing like mine, but they did exactly the same job. grin
I can think of several radio (and TV) shows that never made it successfully to live stage.
OoRoo

I can remember so many years ago, them doing a performance somewhere with an audience. Did a google search and found it. It was a recording they did to celebrate the BBC 50th birthday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF745ywyvVY

I agree totally that it is a show for the radio but I've just had a brilliant 40 mins watching this.

Caro57 Thu 18-Feb-21 19:47:40

Billy Connolly - saw him live, brilliant
Loved Dave Allen

specki4eyes Thu 18-Feb-21 19:33:03

Oh my goodness, I can watch Cannon and Ball vids for hours and roar with laughter the whole time. Went to see them once in Coventry, wonderful comics, took my kids. There was no swearing, no smut, none of the talk about bodily functions..just simple good humour. Morecambe and Wise and Laurel and Hardy were their predecessors. Just good old fashioned fun, as was Victoria Wood.

grandmajet Thu 18-Feb-21 18:41:50

I’ve just read through this thread and there are very few women mentioned. Victoria Wood. Sarah Millican who seems to be disliked.
Do women find it hard to break into standup? I must admit at the little comedy club we used to go to there were few women comedians but the one who did appear were received on merit and not given an extra hard, or easy, time. I wonder why? I must admit to generally finding men funnier.

Luc21ky Thu 18-Feb-21 18:25:46

The great ken dodd was the best comedian ever.saw him several times never stopped laughing .

Mollygo Thu 18-Feb-21 18:07:13

Watching David Armand has cheered me up immensely. OK it’s not for everyone but this really made me laugh. m.youtube.com/watch?v=AaT2sQs_g9o

EkwaNimitee Thu 18-Feb-21 17:56:14

Emu’s ‘interview’ with Michael Parkinson was one of the funniest things I have seen on tv (and not forgetting Emu’s pal Rod Hull of course)

NanTheWiser Thu 18-Feb-21 17:49:48

Dave Allen was the best! Saw him live in London many years ago.
Billy Connolly of course, knicker-wetting humour.

And Victoria Wood, lovely lady.

Froglady Thu 18-Feb-21 17:29:28

Aveline

I was lucky and saw Billy Connolly in his prime. Very very funny.
The other live stand up was Spike Milligan. He was excellent.
In a slightly different vein we loved an evening with the 'Dear Ladies' - Dr Evadne Hinge and Dame Hilda Brackett'.

I saw Hinge and Brackett when I was doing an Open University summer school in Norwich one year and they were brilliant .
I would have loved to have seen Flanders and Swann live but had to make do with them in the tv and cds.

Purpleknight49 Thu 18-Feb-21 17:21:21

Loved Hinge and Bracket too. Used to watch them as a child, don’t think I realised they were men!

Nannabumble70 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:55:13

Peter Kay

Alioop Thu 18-Feb-21 16:41:40

How did I forget Peter Kay!!! Saw him live in Blackpool, 'the lyrics of songs that we sing wrong' that he does is hilarious. Also Car Share, just love it.

fitwell Thu 18-Feb-21 16:22:11

Ken Dodd he lived near me, his wife, lady Ann still does and he was always wondering around, but spent a lot of time away ,as it was his ambition to play every theatre in the uk
Saw him a few times and he had the audience captivated , usually until after midnight as his shows went on for so long,
And yes, he did live in knotty ash but I’ve never seen the jam butty mines

ElaineRI55 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:22:11

In case anyone's interested in the Dave Allen sketch

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QVPUIRGthI

Ramblingrose22 Thu 18-Feb-21 16:21:06

Another Jasper Carrott fan here. It looks like I haven't seen some of the sketches mentioned here so I am going to look for them.

I used to like Peter Cook and Dudley Moore and some (but not all) of Dick Emery's sketches.

I also like Paul Whitehouse. I only have to see his face and I start laughing! Others probably react to me that way too.....!