Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else trying the shower challenge

(46 Posts)
BlueBelle Sun 21-Feb-21 09:12:12

I need something to stimulate me in these grim times and keep me going and I read about the cold water challenge and am giving it a go
The idea is that a blast of cold water 30,40,50 or 60 secs when you have your morning shower stimulates everything including your brain and is very good for you I decided to give it a go I ve only so far done the 30 seconds but intend to work up after a week
It’s horrendous at first and feels so completely icy it takes your breathe away I then have my normal hot shower and I ve got to report that it completely exhilarates me and I feel ready for the day
I d be interested to know if anyone else is doing it

BlueBelle Wed 24-Feb-21 16:04:27

No problem daisend I wasn’t suggesting you should, just seeing if anyone else was !
Takes all sort...l I can’t stand tea ?

Daisend1 Wed 24-Feb-21 10:55:54

Bluebelle
Thanks but no thanks. Nothing gets my engine going more than that first 'cuppa' of Yorkshire brand tea.

NotSpaghetti Wed 24-Feb-21 10:39:39

I have turned my shower to cold at the end for years now.
I'm not particularly perky!

Cold baths are known to be good for you though - like cold water swimming. The whole body benefits. Lots of studies.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Feb-21 10:29:33

Well my shower is really slow at changing over jackieb so I do the cold 60 secs then just wait for it to gradually warm up after the ice even Luke warm feels hot ?
I wouldn’t carry on if I didn’t feel some benefit I m not a complete martyr to a cause ?

JackyB Wed 24-Feb-21 10:11:24

DH does it. I really should, too, I know, but I shower really hot. I think the time it would take for the water to cool down would be agony for me. If I could switch over quickly, I might give it a go.

If you can't bear the thought of the whole body shock, you could start with just dousing the lower legs and feet with the hand held shower head.

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-Feb-21 10:11:08

BlueBelle not Bluebell. Ruddy predictive text!

Maggiemaybe Wed 24-Feb-21 10:09:59

Well, Bluebell, I did say I was a wuss. I stepped in with all good intentions, had my usual quick, hot shower, turned the dial to cold, and chickened out. blush

I summoned up the wherewithal to spray my arms and legs for 60 seconds, the rest of me stayed unrefreshed. I’m just heading for the shower now, so I’ll try again - I don’t hold out much hope though. That water is soooo cold!

BlueBelle Wed 24-Feb-21 09:31:03

sodapop and maggiemay did you try it I took the bull by the horns and did the 60 seconds this morning and it’s no worse than the 30 secs, to be honest
I am getting something out of it so I ll continue its a really ‘come to life’ feeling afterwards (not while you re in it)
I don’t feel shivery cold just, ouch icy but it soon goes when it turns hot my brain seems to wake up ... it really needs to too my brain I mean I ve felt very sluggish this lockdown

vampirequeen Tue 23-Feb-21 08:41:36

No he never tried to stop that part of his nature. After all, as he said to several villainesses after he'd bedded them, he didn't actually enjoy what he did but it was for Queen and country.

grin

Juliet27 Tue 23-Feb-21 08:37:37

I think his cold showers might have been for a different reason?!

vampirequeen Tue 23-Feb-21 08:11:46

I had to work down to cold but I did it for 10 seconds before my body started to cry. That said I felt really refreshed rather than cold when I dried off. I'll definitely work on it because, although I didn't like the cold water, I liked the after effect.

By the way James Bond used to do the cold shower bit in every book. He would have a really hot shower then turn it to cold and stay in it as long as he could. If it's good enough for Bond....grin

BlueBelle Tue 23-Feb-21 08:09:08

It’s really good Sodapop and maggiemay it completely takes your breathe away I can’t believe how icy the water is, not just cold, but icy but after 40 secs it does make me feel completely invigorated and your skin tingles and you want to do some exercises and I ve never ever felt I wanted to do exercises
Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it folks
Look at the Nordic countries don’t they roll in the snow after their shower or is that just an urban myth

I ll wait to hear from you two tomorrow ?

Kim19 Tue 23-Feb-21 07:52:13

Not a chance. My daily shower is a source of sheer joy for me and I've no plans to change that. It's often the only attraction to get me out of bed nowadays otherwise I might be horizontal indefinitely.

Ellianne Sun 21-Feb-21 16:12:41

With open water swimming do you have to actually swim in the sea or can you just walk around up to your middle?

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Feb-21 15:57:16

Well I will if you will, sodapop. ? I’ll report back tomorrow morning. If I haven’t keeled over from the shock.

sodapop Sun 21-Feb-21 12:50:04

I'll give it a try BlueBelle have to pluck up the courage first.

vegansrock Sun 21-Feb-21 12:46:43

Open water swimming has become more popular this year as pools have been closed, I did a winter induction at our local swimming lake and we were told that we had to acclimatise to the cold, which Id started to do - did one ice swim but then the lake was closed due to lockdown. Cold showers are recommended to keep your body acclimatised - it honestly doesn’t feel as cold when you get used to it and swimming in cold water is actually refreshing and exhilarating. I do wear a wetsuit though so probably not as hard core as those swimmers who just go in their cosssies. Can’t wait to get back .

henetha Sun 21-Feb-21 12:05:49

Definitely not. My poor old bones couldn't stand the shock.
I do go for walks in the rain though. Does that count? smile

annodomini Sun 21-Feb-21 11:49:21

DS2 has told me that he is doing this. I thought it might be a symptom of his mid-life crisis. grin

M0nica Sun 21-Feb-21 11:19:57

Sounds like a new version of the ice bucket challenge. I declined to do that and I am not volunteering now! Also, I am a bather not a showerer.

aggie Sun 21-Feb-21 11:19:44

A group of ladies in Edinburgh have a quick swim in the sea at Portabello beach most mornings , they raised money for charity , but then kept going after the challenge was over

timetogo2016 Sun 21-Feb-21 11:19:01

Hell would have to freeze over before i would even attempt it.

vampirequeen Sun 21-Feb-21 11:18:21

I gradually turn the heat down. I don't think I could do it all at one go. The shock from hot to cold is too painful.

BlueBelle Sun 21-Feb-21 11:14:16

I read up and you can do it either way round cold at the start or at the finish
It really does make me feel exhilarated and up for the day
If can help my brain and immune system as they say it does
I m good to go

Maggiemaybe I have a friend goes in every day too
I have done the Christmas Day swim in the North Sea a good few times but not since I hit my 70 s Give this a try I haven’t any heating, so no warm bathroom for me

Maggiemaybe Sun 21-Feb-21 11:03:13

I’m tempted to give it a go. Some of my school’s old girls’ group who still live by the North Sea swim in it every single day, and claim it has health benefits. A few minutes under a cold shower in a warm bathroom sounds ever so slightly easier. I have poor circulation, and this might help.

I am a bit of a wuss though.