Gransnet forums

Chat

Reuseable pads

(10 Posts)
Hithere Tue 23-Feb-21 12:37:20

I use cloth diapers for my kids and I made the switch myself. Never going back to disposables.

It is so much fun to make them yourself too - lots of sewing instructional videos in YouTube

Pittcity Tue 23-Feb-21 11:48:56

Modibodi. Expensive but worth every penny.

I tried Giggle Knickers but they are more bulky and prone to tearing. The advantage of these over Modibodi is that you can tumble dry them.

MayBee70 Tue 23-Feb-21 00:23:27

Yes, I have some of those as I have terrible key in door syndrome. Also, not that I go anywhere much these days, but I don’t want to use public toilets due to covid so I need to feel confident, bladder wise. I sometimes think that a bit of padding in that area keeps it warmer and therefore stops me needing the loo as much. Which makes sense, I think, because I always need the loo more when it’s cold. My younger self would be horrified to read this!

Blossoming Mon 22-Feb-21 22:47:21

Pittcity what brand are they?

Luckygirl Mon 22-Feb-21 22:08:43

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KZNYFPL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8

These are the ones that I got. There are lots of other makes and types, but they are all broadly similar. You can also get the in less wacky colours or plain black and white.

rubysong Mon 22-Feb-21 21:56:06

I remember my mother having some slightly padded pants so I made myself some. I drew round a disposable pad and made some with a few layers of flannelette which I sewed into the gusset of my pants. I only have a slightly dodgy bladder if I forget to do the pelvic floor exercises. I hate anything disposable.

Farmor15 Mon 22-Feb-21 20:05:31

Luckygirl - can I ask what type you bought and from where?. I hadn’t heard of them but sound like a good idea. Both my daughters use washable nappies on their babies, so the idea of washing pads wouldn’t bother me and I’d like to do my bit for planet too.

Pittcity Mon 22-Feb-21 19:50:00

I use knickers with built in protection. Very comfortable, no leaks and good for the planet.

PippaZ Mon 22-Feb-21 16:39:48

I haven't but I have seen sewing and embroidery machind patterns for reusable pads and it seems like a very good idea.

Luckygirl Mon 22-Feb-21 16:36:09

I have been using Always or Tena for years as occasionally my bladder can let me down at the last moment as I get to the loo.

I have just started using reuseable washable pads and they are brilliant. I just sling them in the washing machine on a quick cycle with all the other washing. I bought the ones labelled for heavy flow and they have not let me down yet. They are comfortable and wash and dry well, and I feel I am doing my bit for the planet.

They have layers of bamboo in the pad part - and they popper round your pants. They are said to last 5-6 years, so, although they are pricey initially, they should pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Anyone else tried these?