Gransnet forums

Chat

Will the current crisis have any lasting effect on consumerism?

(66 Posts)
mumofmadboys Wed 24-Feb-21 07:44:03

Do you think that after a year of buying very little people will think we really don't need to keep buying 'stuff' and we already have plenty? I know this doesnt apply to everyone. Although we need to open up shops etc to support the economy and jobs we also need to protect the environment and stop producing so much stuff we don't need. If less people were employed in retail maybe the Care industry could be better staffed. Thoughts ?

M0nica Thu 04-Mar-21 19:27:04

Most of the things I buy online are quite simply things that I cannot buy locally. In the last month I have bought a bathroom mirror, some fruit bushes, a wooden needle case and a spirometer for DH who is recovering from damage to one long following an operation and needs to do lung capaisty exercises.

AmberSpyglass Thu 04-Mar-21 18:05:12

The trick is to know which brands fit you well and their sizing, that way you can be pretty sure that whatever you try will suit and fit.

Jaxjacky Thu 04-Mar-21 13:30:38

mumofmadboys I’ve bought loads online, without viewing. A whole new kitchen including white goods, a greenhouse, Christmas presents, Birthday presents, clothes, wellies, a smart TV, and other bits too numerous to list. I get groceries delivered too. I’ve only returned one item, a jacket that was too small. But I’ve been an online shopper for some years. As to whether retail staff will transfer to the care system, I’m not sure. I’d be concerned about people doing so to earn a wage only, perhaps with little empathy or compassion for their clients.

EllanVannin Thu 04-Mar-21 12:57:00

I've just been talking to my neighbour and her Oz trip for next month is off as Australia has closed its borders to travellers from abroad. She is disappointed as she lost her son last year and had booked for a break with her niece in Sydney and would also have called in to see my D while she was there, but it's not to be until next year----maybe.

AmberSpyglass Thu 04-Mar-21 12:47:30

I like buying online and the excitement of waiting for something to arrive! That’s probably a bit tragic...

effalump Thu 04-Mar-21 11:03:21

Absolutely! I hate buying stuff online, wait days for delivery, try them on (clothes) and then return them when either a) I don't like them or b) they don't fit. It's definitely put me off being spontaneous when shopping.

amblucgeolyd4 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:18:37

The trouble with online shopping for me is when you order online the product often looks nothing like the picture on the computer photo and if it is clothing the sizing is often all wrong or the material is not what you thought it was. I would much rather go into town and look at an item to see what I'm buying and the make a day of it by having a light lunch or coffee after in a cafe.... You can't get that on a computer

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 19:16:31

Its lovely to hear that JaneJudge.

PamelaJ1 Wed 24-Feb-21 18:57:56

Well I’m old, not 70 yet but I seem to have a different mind set than people I know who are 10 to 20 years younger than me.
I have hardly bought anything during the last year. They have, whether it’s on line or in large supermarkets that sell most things. My sister bought 3 items of clothing in Sainsbury’s last week!
They seem to have to spend, unfortunately they seem to spend on any old thing. I try to buy British (difficult), as eco friendly and as ethically produced as possible but I don’t think that I’m in the majority.
The trouble is that one has to be prepared to spend more and buy less. I don’t believe that will happen.
All you have to do is go back over the threads on this site and read what people are buying.
Outside space heaters, fire pits ??‍♀️!

Millie22 Wed 24-Feb-21 18:34:56

There are many opportunities to work in the care sector. It's the two C's atm care and cleaning jobs. For care work you're basically guaranteed to be taken on if you can walk as the staff turnover is quite high. There are exceptions and some people do genuinely care. A 12 hour shift is a long time on very low wages. I can't imagine many people wanting to do that. It's often the only jobs so there's no choice.

JaneJudge Wed 24-Feb-21 16:42:00

Maybe I am biased as my daughter has a good placement but I know we have been very lucky too.

Galaxy Wed 24-Feb-21 16:35:08

I didnt like institutionalised care of those with learning disabilities but I am not sure how well community care has worked out for many either.
My experience of nvq is probably fairly biased growstuff in that I discovered the assessor I was involved with was forging meetings, observations etc.

JaneJudge Wed 24-Feb-21 15:57:28

Growstuff that isn't true in respect to care to vulnerable people LDs and autism. A lot of elderly care can be managed in the community as well. Nursing care is a different kettle of fish.

AGAA4 Wed 24-Feb-21 15:55:01

Online shopping was well established before the pandemic and I think even more people will carry on with it even when shops re-open.
I have always preferred to shop in stores but think I used to buy more this way. I have hardly bought anything during the last year and don't intend to buy much when the shops open,

I think though that many people will be buying more as things ease with the virus.

Joesoap Wed 24-Feb-21 15:41:50

I have been spending money, not a lot, but without even going out of the house, it will be lovely to be able to spend properly, in shops.
I wonder if on line shopping will continue as much as today.

MissChateline Wed 24-Feb-21 15:41:21

I totally hate online clothes shopping and have only ever bought a couple of items of clothing this way. I also refuse to buy anything in shops when they reopen that I am not allowed to try on. The shops that let me try eg Hobbs and a local outdoor wear shop will get my custom and shops where I have spent a lot of money in the past but now refuse to let me try first will no longer get my custom. It’s all very well saying that I can bring anything back but for me the fun of shopping is trying different outfits and I rarely want to go back to the city just to take things back.
Additionally my need for clothes has diminished, I’ve learned that I really don’t need very much and the same for odds and ends for the house.
But I have used this time to have a major kitchen renovation completed as well as remedial work in the attic and much of the house redecorated. I’ve had walls knocked down and rebuilt completely. The planning and overseeing of this project helped keep me sane throughout the lockdowns. Much of the money I have saved from not shopping has been spent on this which has given me a great deal more pleasure than impulse buying in shopping sprees.
In the future less clothes buying and a return to buying flights abroad for the previously planned but abandoned adventure holidays.

Grannybags Wed 24-Feb-21 15:34:33

I haven't bought much over the past year but I have suddenly got the urge to replace all our pictures with big bright ones!

As soon as I feel brave enough (and the shops are open!) I'm off to hunt some down....

M0nica Wed 24-Feb-21 15:24:20

Consumerism is always what other people do isn't it? We of course would not dream of beong consumerist. We only shop for the things we need, which is why our wardrobes are bursting open with all the clothes we have and our houses are cluttered with things we desperately needed at the time. Henc eall those decluttering books etc and decluttering aids the decluttering experts encourage us to buy.

Shopping patterns may change. I am afraid I am cynical. I do not think the one year glitch of of COVID is anything like long enough to make major changes.

We may buy different things, but buy we will, as much as ever.. I had a lovely time at the Garden Centre this morning buying all the seeds I 'need' for my veg patch.

PernillaVanilla Wed 24-Feb-21 15:05:20

Many of the care staff in my department joined us from retail, the customer care skills and conscientious nature can make them excellent carers. I would not, however encourage anyone to work in care unless they are very financially stable. In private companies there is no sick pay except SSP, 40% of staff are on zero hours contracts and over 50% on minimum wage. The private care home operators make huge profits and treat their staff very badly, even the nurses have pay and conditions far worse than the NHS. Most of the supermarkets pay more.
Will we change our shopping habits? I did find before the last lockdown the shops had a very poor level of stock. John Lewis in particular had very little Whistles Toast or Hush on the rails, all the concessions seemed to be running very low.
I've spent quite a lot on line today, starting off my summer wardrobe. Come 12 April I'll be out there having a look at what is actually in stock before I decide how to go forward.

growstuff Wed 24-Feb-21 14:51:06

JaneJudge

It really isn't going to take that much imagination. There needs to be a turn away from private institutionalised care and push towards more community based bespoke care. It is actually ALOT cheaper smile Like galaxy has commented though, it is going to be difficult to make that happen. There is too much money invested in care by people who have absolutely no interest in CARE or CARING, they are interested in investment, profit and patient acquisition.

Community care isn't cheaper than institutionalised care and doesn't offer the same level of care.

growstuff Wed 24-Feb-21 14:48:57

Galaxy

There are qualifications but it is also possible to work straight into a position and do the qualification as you work. My experience of the quality of those providing the qualifications was very mixed.

You are right to be concerned about the quality of those providing the training. My sister was an NVQ care work assessor after she retired from the NHS. She worked for a private company and was under a lot of pressure to pass people to meet targets. She didn't last long in the job because she couldn't stand what was going on. In her opinion, some of the people she was forced to pass would never have lasted in the NHS.

Elvis58 Wed 24-Feb-21 14:39:12

Nellg.
Spot on the care industry needs people that enjoy doing the job a good carer is worth their weight in gold believe me its not for everyone.
The spending money thing, l think lockdown has made some people think that they dont need new things all the time,others have gone the othrr way and gone crazy on internet shopping.
I will think before l buy in future and will buy from local independent shops to support local businesses.
Not line the pockets of supermarkets and certainly not Amazon and the economy in China.

maydonoz Wed 24-Feb-21 14:33:07

Since the pandemic began, it seems more and more people have changed to online shopping and I'm sure some will carry on, finding it more convenient.
However, it's not for me, whether for clothes or food, I prefer to go to the shop and choose what I need, if it's an item of clothing, try it on, if it feels right, buy it and take it home ready to wear. I hate the idea of changing/returning items and almost resist it on principle, it needs to be faulty or such like before I can be bothered to go back to change or return it.
It has been good to go through our wardrobe and wear things we had possibly forgotten about
However, it will be nice to have that bit of retail therapy when the shops are open again and it is safe to do so.

4allweknow Wed 24-Feb-21 14:24:29

Many will reflect on how they don't need to constantly spend. On the other hand and I think this will be what happens spending will go mad. Remember when stores opened after the first lockdown, queues to get into Primark and others. The tourist industry is already reporting massive holiday bookings even with inflated prices and no definitive date for holidaying/foreign travel. I do worry about all the small retailers who gave lost so much business. Therefore once allowed to visit nearest town I will be shopping at independent shops there for what I need.

Hetty58 Wed 24-Feb-21 14:02:56

'Will the current crisis have any lasting effect on consumerism?'

Well, let's hope so! The only certain thing is change - and change is urgently needed anyway!