Gransnet forums

Chat

Age Gap Relationships

(185 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sat 27-Feb-21 19:44:01

Hello Everyone smile
Just to liven things up a bit.
What are your thoughts on them?
Do you have a significant gap in yours or are you the same age?
(My husband and I have quite a big difference in age.)
Anyway - thoughts?
Thank you!

Cherrytree59 Sun 07-Mar-21 18:23:01

My DH is 8 year's older.
Like Marydoll love at first sight.?

Sitting a group of friends in our local pub, when in walked two lads, one wearing a leather bombers jacket looked over and raised one eyebrow and smiled,
It was an Elvis Presley side smile.
The aroma of his leather jacket and aftershave was quite lovely.?

The rest as they say is history (40 years on 10th October)

Ps he still has that side smile, with a raised eyebrow ?

NanaPlenty Sun 07-Mar-21 17:46:00

My hubby is seven years older than me - always loved an older man. My daughters partner is 20 years older than her. I don’t think it matters but I think it can become more noticeable in later years.

TwiceAsNice Sun 07-Mar-21 15:54:44

Ex was 2.5 years older than me. DD1 has been married for nearly 12 years to someone 16 years older than her. At the moment he is 61, she is 45.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 15:33:05

I was 8 years older than my last partner although everyone thought it was the other way round (he was bald)
We shared the same birthday which felt really really strange and I didn’t really like sharing my special day with him although no one ever knew i didn’t like it ....not even him I kept it well to myself silly I know perhaps it was a sign we weren’t right for each other We managed 8 years

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Mar-21 15:10:45

Craftycat just ignore Rufus, he's always like that.

Yiayia4 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:23:48

My DH is 7 years older than me but very young at heart.

Rufus2 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:16:43

I am 13 years older than my husband
Craftycat Just imagine! When you were 13 you could have been pushing your husband-to-be- around in his pram, whereas now you can look forward to providing him with all the exercise he needs and more, as he pushes you around in your wheel-chair! grin
Good Health.

Chris5640 Sun 07-Mar-21 14:12:41

My husband refers to himself as my toyboy. He is 11 months younger than me!! Some close friends have a 25 year age gap. He is the younger one. They have been married 30 years and still devoted to one another. If you love one another and are totally 'in tune' with one another it does not matter. I have two other friends with 9 year age gaps over their husbands.

icanhandthemback Sun 07-Mar-21 12:30:04

I am amused at this thread now after a discussion with my son at the weekend. Apparently, his girlfriend is younger than him rather than the one year he had originally intimated. Mainly we were shocked that he would not be honest with us but also curious as to why he would think it was something he would even consider we would even think strange. Apparently, when he was 16, he had a girlfriend who was nearly a year younger than him and we were adamant that she could only stay downstairs with him up. He wasn't allowed to have her in his bedroom with the door shut and we were very careful that we made a point about the legality of any sexual behaviour. This was, in part, because we were trying to impress upon him the importance of sexual behaviour and its consequences. We also discussed things like informed consent, etc. We tried to be as sensitive to his feelings as possible but didn't want him to make a mistake which would impact him for the rest of his life. Oh, and she was also "Daddy's little angel" so we had agreed the strict criteria with him.
Somehow, in all this, he had completely missed the point that our feelings were due to their young age, not to disapproval on our part. He has been really worried about this because he honestly didn't think this was going to be a relationship that lasted so although he never outright lied about her age per se, it turns out she is a year more academically behind than him than he had said. She took a year out from school mid A levels due to depression so is another year behind academically so her age would never have been an issue.
It just highlights the difference that age makes depending on the time of your life you are at. I was just starting secondary school as my husband started his Further Education. Can you imagine what he would have faced with his parents all those years ago.

RosesAreRed21 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:55:29

As long as 2 people love each other, there for each other and are happy age is just a number.

Artaylar Sat 06-Mar-21 15:32:07

Hubster is 4 years my senior. At 63 he does seem to be getting old before his time which is a worry. He's quite happy just to sit on the sofa all day, vaping, sipping wine and faffing about on his laptop. There's quite a lot of huffing and puffing occuring on the rare occasions that I ask him to do anything.

He's easily pleased though and never gets on my case about anything which is a bonus ball, as is his being happy for me (in non Covid times) to holiday with friends, visit friends/family in other parts of the country, whenever I want to.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 15:17:34

How sad, I bet that he was devastated.

FannyCornforth Sat 06-Mar-21 15:17:00

Ilovecheese (so do I btw)
DH and I beat that by one year!

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Mar-21 15:11:58

The largest age gap of any couple that I have known was of twenty five years difference. He was 25 years older than her. He never expected to be left on his own but she died when she was 55 and he was 80.

gulligranny Sat 06-Mar-21 15:00:34

DH is 5 years older than me, second marriage for both of us; We met 15 years ago when he was 65 and I was 60, we've been married 12 years. He was leaving grammar school as I was starting, he'd been working for quite a while before I got my first job. We never stop talking and laughing and it's great!

LMW1 Sat 06-Mar-21 14:20:09

16yrs between me and my Husband. He's 66 and I'm 49. It works for us.

FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 08:55:29

Grandma11 what a shocking story

Grandma11 Thu 04-Mar-21 19:28:39

I once Nursed a lady in a care home who was 83 and was married to a man who was 34, they met whilst on Holiday in Gambia. He lived in her family home and visited her about once a fortnight, he would take her out in her wheelchair down into the local shopping centre, but her a few toiletries and a bar of Chocolate, but she never had any spare cash for the Hairdresser when she visited, and he took control of the finances in connection to her Property where he lived, and her fees to pay for her care. Although Social services were not happy about the situation, and took legal action via the court of protection to investigate it this lady had in fact been the victim of a financial scam involving this man.

PattyFingers Thu 04-Mar-21 18:35:18

There is ten years between us and coincidentally our closest friends also have ten years between them.

Erica23 Thu 04-Mar-21 14:40:10

Grannyrose Same here Dh 4 years older, retired at 65. Were now 64 and 68 I’m still working part time , plus looking after mum and dgc talk about the sandwich generation! Not sure what he gets up to, no dog, he can’t cook, says he’s done the housework ?

effalump Thu 04-Mar-21 11:37:02

If your husband is younger than you, you ought to check that you get State Pension when you are SPA. I know it used to be that an older wife couldn't get state pension until husband reach SPA.

jillyd60 Wed 03-Mar-21 16:22:47

i met my other half when he was 44 and i was 23, so 21 years difference, we have 1 daughter together and he has another 5 years younger than me, we are still together after 38 years, i have found that the age difference can sometimes cause problems, all my friends husbands are younger and help with the cooking, mine is just not interested and feels it is a womans job.

Hiraeth Wed 03-Mar-21 06:24:14

My husband was 12 years older than me , I was 23 when we got married. It never ever made a difference .He was my soul mate
but sadly died 7 years ago. No regrets , we had a great life together.

AlexG Wed 03-Mar-21 06:16:54

My husband is 15 years younger than me and we’ve been married 17 years. I’m 72 and he is 57. He is my second husband but he was ‘spinster of this parish’ when we married. I find it funny that he is one year younger than one of my son in laws and three weeks older than the other one. I’ve retired but he is still working. We’ve only ever been asked once if he is my son which amused both of us!

TwinLolly Tue 02-Mar-21 21:40:22

First hubby was 2 years older than me. Current hubby is 6 years older. Inbetween husbands, I got involved with a chap who was 14 years older than me.