Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(77 Posts)
12Michael Wed 03-Mar-21 06:12:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, but its dry outside but cold here this morning in Brackley .
No cycling on TV for a few days , so do other things need a small shop as well .
Had a email from MP as regards to pubs ,and the way she wrote it , it was better explained than Boris as to his so called road map , if all goes well June/July will see social distancing removed .
Take Care,
Mick

hulahoop Wed 03-Mar-21 23:08:56

Sorry you had to hear bad news over the phone Harrigran.nothing much happening today here today Hope pain is easing auntiflo ,sending ? to all who are going through worrying times .

mrshat Wed 03-Mar-21 20:07:42

Jaxjacky grin DH's 'beep' seems to have a mournful sound about it, somehow hmm

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Mar-21 17:16:38

mrshat kittylester DH’s phone chants ‘marching on together’ for any Leeds news, it can be trying......

EkwaNimitee Wed 03-Mar-21 16:56:41

The Woman in White is currently available in 4 episodes on BBC iPlayer btw

EkwaNimitee Wed 03-Mar-21 16:53:09

Ashcombe Wilkie certainly looks as though it could be female but I looked at a picture of him yesterday and he had a good beard though I suppose.....! My name is an attitude of mind I try to cultivate not always successfully.

mrshat Wed 03-Mar-21 15:46:13

kittylester My DH is a supporter of Nottingham Forest ever since he was a mere lad!! I suffer the ups and downs (usually downs!) of the season, match by match and I am reminded it is more than 'just a game' when I try to point out there are greater problems in the world!! wink
Bring back Brian Clough is all I can say grin
I'll be thinking of you during the next match when his 'phone beeps to let him know 'there has been a score'! - probably by the opposition - one needs to keep a sense of humour .......................

Auntieflo Wed 03-Mar-21 14:28:59

Good afternoon to Mick, Annie and all.
I have had an awful pain in my side since I bent down to pick something up and it felt like a tearing. After a hot shower and a few tablets, it is easing off, but I have done nothing except put a couple if chicken pieces into the slow oven to cook.
Listened to the budget speech, and DH had a long telephone with Talk Talk to renew his contract.
The census form is waiting to be filled in, and I have a form to sign from an ISA supplier to be signed. So nothing strenuous.
The weather is grey and cold here, so I am glad that we can stay in the warm, without having to go out for anything.
I shall crochet some little easter shapes for a garland to go in the window at Easter.
Yesterday my new roasting tins were delivered, and the largest was much too big for us, so will give it to DD on Friday when she joins us for my hospital follow up. A mini muffin tin will also go to her, and be passed on to GD. Then I will have to look out the little cases for baking muffins in.
Belated birthday and anniversary wishes to those I missed yesterday.
Sending love and prayers to Georgesgran, Dragonfly
Thinking of Harrigran, and wishing her and her DH well, after their bad news recently.
Have a good day one and all.

grandMattie Wed 03-Mar-21 14:05:25

WC was a great friend (not “friend” of Charles Dickens. 99% sure he’s a bloke!

Ashcombe Wed 03-Mar-21 12:53:21

No, Nannagarra. A few years ago, I played Countess Fosco in a stage version of “A Woman in White” and DH was convinced that Wilkie Collins was female and I believed him! A lesson learned....! ?

Nannagarra Wed 03-Mar-21 12:44:58

We’re you thinking of George Eliot, Ashcombe?

Ashcombe Wed 03-Mar-21 12:39:56

Sorry, I’m misinformed, so please ignore my comment! ?

Ashcombe Wed 03-Mar-21 12:37:30

I believe Wilkie Collins is female, EkwaNimitee (clever name you have!)

EkwaNimitee Wed 03-Mar-21 11:19:23

Good morning, Mick and everyone from a chilly grey Cumbrian coast. I've been polishing my halo, that is, I've done my ironing, cleaned the bathroom and swept the floors. I now think I've earned the right to start a new novel! Yesterday I finished the last of Wilkie Collins' novels... there's over 20 of them and every one a good read. What a bargain they were. As he's out of copyright, the single novels are now free for my Kindle on Amazon but if you buy his whole works, less than a fiver. I've now to start on his novellas and shorter works.

A happy day to you all

hollysteers Wed 03-Mar-21 11:17:13

Good morning Mick and all from a dull northwest coast, but can’t complain as had two days in the sun, my face showing the signs and good for lightening my hair, which is a little too dark after my DIY hair colour. I love me some Vitamin D. Now for some housework ?
A telephone appointment with the doc yesterday after filling in a chart for a week re high blood pressure. All in all it’s ok, but as life is so quiet at the moment, I’m not sure it’s a proper reflection of how it might be normally. Keep taking the tablets. Also she wants to arrange a colonoscopy for my old war wound, my hernia (complicated by IBS I think). I’ve had one before and really don’t fancy another. Life alone here is miserable enough even with the darling cat and occasional visits from bubbled son without dwelling on that experience of the Titanic rammed down my throat?
Don’t know what to do, but thinking of Georgesgran, the sick and the well.
Back to read your doings later.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Mar-21 11:14:20

harrigran saddened to learn of your bad news ?

EllanVannin Wed 03-Mar-21 11:05:10

Good Morning All x.
Grey and feels a bit on the raw side this morning. After a murky start yesterday morning the sun came out again later which ended quite pleasant.
I untangled the tights off the line too but no holes were detected.

Well if it's not the fox that wakes me with his barking, it's a bloomin' owl screeching. There's a thicket of trees not far from me so I guessed that's where he was, sounding eerie at 03.40 in the morning. I don't mind but the trouble is that the cats think it's time to get up so they're then in and out like a dog at a fair. I should stay up really rather than go back to bed as it can be late when I get up---like it was, at 8.50 !

I don't know why I'm worrying as I don't have to go to work, nobody's coming and I'm not going anywhere, but to me half the morning has gone.

A wipe around the bathroom later and a bit of a tidy up will be the extent of the housework today then I'll set to and boil some potatoes to mash and cool down in readiness to make potato cakes to have with bacon and egg later on. That'll keep me going.

So glad to hear that Marydoll is beginning to enjoy getting back to her shopping. It seemed such a long time that she was unwell, months really, as everyone felt for her I'm sure.x.
I've been spending online but it's not the same as having a good mooch around and buying what you don't need grin

Still no sign of D, but I mustn't be impatient as I know she's got a lot on her plate but I'm bound to see her on Mother's day which isn't far off now and the time seems to fly by even under the conditions we're living in.

Thinking of Dragonfly, Georgesgran, Auntieflo our Gilly and those of you under par as you muddle through another strange year as it's been tough for a lot of you.xx

Keep on keeping on and stay safe and well. We're heading in the right direction. Enjoy the day.

Nannagarra Wed 03-Mar-21 11:01:39

Snowdrops

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 03-Mar-21 10:44:44

Good Morning all from damp, chilly, misty Harrogate!! In spite of that I have a wash on which I hope to get outside!
Another day of doing nothing, probably finishing the nothing I was doing yesterday!!
Marydoll a bit of retail therapy definitely works wonders. I popped into Aldi last week and I am still feeling the benefit!! I, too am pretty fed up with the shielding business, with me it's only lungs, but depressing to know they can only get worse!!

Hope everyone has a better day today.

Callistemon Wed 03-Mar-21 10:42:25

Good morning Michael and everyone

I hope you're feeling a bit better now, Mick, take it easy. It's cold and misty out there in S Wales this morning.
The window cleaner has just been and I can see the mist more clearly now.

I had a sore throat and a slight cough which had started just before my vaccination so can't be a reaction to it. When I dialled 111 for advice the nurse assured me it probably wasn't Covid (no temperature and I had seen no-one) but to go for the vaccine anyway and I'm feeling much better now.

A friend phoned yesterday and said she has been invited for her second dose of vaccine next week so things are moving along here.

My shopping for a couple of birthday presents will have to be online this year but any inspiration seems to have deserted me!
Shopping is one thing I don't really miss but we're looking forward to going out for lunch again in a nice pub, preferably overlooking some water.

Best wishes to all, especially those who are struggling or coping with bad news ???

muse Wed 03-Mar-21 10:37:10

Good Morning Mick
Spent the last hour on and off catching up with news from everyone. Don't feel mentally alert this morning even though I had a really good night's sleep.

Late short text from daughter before I went to bed. Can't gauge how she is from it but she's ringing when my granddaughter is out at her father's house.

Sun is trying here in Cornwall. Good to see Mark, gardener, here to finish building a wall MrM partly took down to repair our log store last year. MrM's to do list is forever growing.

Seed planting today. Need to clear the window sills for the trays. Walking Mya later this afternoon.

MrM's has just had a long chat (phone) with our close friend who lost his younger brother (suicide) last May. His mother has struggled to cope with the loss of her son this way.

Comforting to read everyone's thoughts for those are struggling emotionally or physically. Mine are included in there.

Nannytopsy Wed 03-Mar-21 10:29:52

Roland the Rat is back ?. Blocking the homes didn’t slow him down for long!

Jaxjacky Wed 03-Mar-21 10:29:09

Popped back from my early ‘not with it yet’ visit. harrigran sorry to hear of bad news, especially how it was conveyed.
Marydoll a trip out, although exhausting sounds as though it’s done you good, we need to soothe the soul too when we can.
My DD has found two kittens at last, picking them up in a couple of weeks. Our 8 year old GS has informed me ‘you mustn’t pick them up and squeeze them Grandma after they’ve eaten or they’ll poo and sick on you’ I hope they’re nimble kitty’s!
Have a gentle day all with some ?especially those struggling.

Megs36 Wed 03-Mar-21 10:22:14

Marydoll, all agreed, our health (between us !) very similar,
Take care. ??

Marydoll Wed 03-Mar-21 10:05:39

Megs it was a one off and a seized opportunity, as my car was going into the garage literally a stone's throw from the two shops. It was also 8am in the morning, otherwise I wouldn't have been out. I haven't been anywhere, apart from a few hospital appointments!
Once I'm out of shielding, I will continue to lead a quiet life. I fulfil at least four categories for shielding, it's very upsetting to see it in black and white how vulnerable I am. I have had enough of it all.
Sometimes, for the sake of our mental health, we need to weigh everything up and take a risk.

Baubles go for it!

NanaTuesday Wed 03-Mar-21 10:02:46

Good Morning Mick & All { } From a Very Misty Cambridgeshire ,though I can see light behind the mist .
I am hoping my day today is better than yesterday , I spent until lunch doing admin . Who would know that you could spend so long doing these things ! Mainly my "admin" was all do to with our House Renovations/Refurbishment.
We experienced a House Flood last August (Including blackwater) We are now on the last leg of refurb & it has become a royal pain or the Builders have .
They started (finally) & turned up for half a day 15/2 followed by a day on 16th.
Long story short , thats how its panned out . Our 6 Month Tenancy was due to end 10/3 (day before my Birthday) We were pretty pleased with this but have now had to extend past Easter.
Which obviously has a knock on effect, the flooring was due to be fitted this week, furniture retrieved from storage 8th so on & so on .Plus DH had booked the week off work , he is WFH ,& has had to cancel that leave & cannot rebook due to it being YES Easter !!
I was at the property Monday 1/3 no Builders! Then Yesterday I received emails imforming me that they will be Finished next week!!! But cannot be there this week ,especially to take receipt of materials purchased for the job!
I am beyond baffled , they are being paid a fortune (believe me ) they haven't completed a full week so far & had the audacity to question my choice of Dulux Paint @£22 per 2.5ltrs being over the cost limit . I have had to physically purchase items that they were requested by insurers to purchase!
Anyway the upside is that 2 more weeks & then back home ,finally to an almost new house as we have also taken advantage with additional projects done ourselves in-between .But how stressful & all over a Lockdown Period ..
Take Care all & Stay Safe
oh & I set uo a zoom call with my 8yr old GD ,sadly she didnt get the invite xx