Gransnet forums

Chat

Another Royal Thread (no, don't look like that, come back, please!)

(99 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 05-Mar-21 07:54:00

The Queen has got two new corgi puppies! Just heard on the Today program.
They were a gift apparently.
I remember feeling sad for her when I heard that her last dog had died, and that for the first time in her life she was without a canine friend.
I hope that they give her majesty much comfort and joy during this pretty grim time.

Calendargirl Sat 06-Mar-21 16:23:42

Blossoming

Will the pups be given titles? grin

Maybe not, but could of course be named Prince, Rex, Queenie?

Mollygo Sat 06-Mar-21 16:23:41

Casdon I have read something similar, whilst studying about mental health. If frequently expressed bitterness may be a sign of mental ill health, posts from some posters on GN are seriously worrying.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 16:19:32

Bitterness is an attitude of intense and prolonged anger and hostility.

This describes perfectly the attitude of some people towards Meghan Markle.

Nezumi65 Sat 06-Mar-21 15:08:02

How does not liking the Queen/monarchy make someone bitter?

Casdon Sat 06-Mar-21 13:32:02

For the record, bitterness actually can be a sign of mental ill health, it’s a recognised symptom. Here’s one definition:

Bitterness is an attitude of intense and prolonged anger and hostility. Often, it also involves feelings of resentment and a desire for revenge. Bitterness is the result of a person's failure to forgive another and their allowance of hurt and anger to grow until pain and hard feelings cloud their view of life.

If it helps people to express their bitterness on Gransnet so be it, but it’s more likely to have an impact on threads that aren’t about anybody’s joy at getting new puppies.

Buffybee Sat 06-Mar-21 13:29:23

I was sad for the Queen when her last corgi died and hoped that she would get another.
So it’s brilliant news that she has two pups to keep her entertained and happy.
I have had dogs all my life and could not live without one or sometimes two.

Blossoming Sat 06-Mar-21 13:23:08

Will the pups be given titles? grin

Elegran Sat 06-Mar-21 13:09:24

Gran So only younger grans make pertinent comments? Really? I have always thought that older grans, and grandads, have lived longer in the world and as they went along have picked up vast amounts of knowledge about all kinds of things. How old are you?

Summerlove Fri 05-Mar-21 18:08:41

I’m surprised

I’d thought I’d read that she didn’t want to have her pups outlive her and be sad

Grany Fri 05-Mar-21 17:59:36

Elegran Thoses rich people made their own money. Queen had a law changed to hide her embarrassing wealth from public view, in the early 70s so who knows how much more she has accumulated now. I do disagree with the Tory government no 10 and their chumocracy giving billions for failed PPE and Test and Trace. And underfunding the NHS no decent pay rise for NHS. Nurses going on strike don't blame them.

Well I thought Alexa that you were one of the younger grans with your pertinent comments You are definitely of sound mind I agree smile

And all the Royals like hunting and shooting William is patron of RSPCB though there is plenty of grouse shooting on queen's estate Why would a charity want him to represent them?

Millie22 Fri 05-Mar-21 16:39:30

Good for her. I admire the Queen very much.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 16:31:29

Rafichgran, your comment on my mental health is misplaced. I am in sound mental health. One is permitted to feel bitter if one so chooses without being judged to be of unsound mind..

Mollygo Fri 05-Mar-21 16:23:28

Well said Henetha. It’s lovely to hear some kind posts.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 16:19:21

Rafichgran, I am disappointed because I am much the same age as the Queen and she and her sister grew up at the same time as me and my little friends. she and her sister were pointed out as examples of nice little girls . I kept on admiring her until very recently. It may sound silly, but she has recently been revealed as not at all like me and mine, except of course for the animals. I fear hearing she goes out killing animals for fun and hope very much she does not do so.

rafichagran Fri 05-Mar-21 15:58:59

Alexa Why does someone you do not know make you feel bitter, bitterness is not healthy at all.
I for one am glad she has these dogs, as she loves animals. I hole she enjoys them.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Mar-21 15:55:21

I hadn't known about the new editions to the family. That'll keep her Maj. on her toes grin She does like her dogs.

I'm entertained by my neighbours 6 month old Biewer terrier when she gives her a run in the large garden here. My cat sits, stares and growls from the patio door watching the dog running wild. Great entertainment. Beautiful little dog.

NanKate Fri 05-Mar-21 15:40:44

Well said Henetha.

I’m sure this will lift the Queen’s spirits whilst the DofE is in hospital, PA appears to be in hiding and H&M are revving up to put the cats amongst the pigeons.

LLtheQ ??

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 15:21:01

Pages are blue because I still have blue plastic protective covers on my windows. Every bloody thing in the house looks blue. Since July!

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 15:02:06

Ellianne

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 15:00:38

What a lovely post Henetha. I agree with every word.

henetha Fri 05-Mar-21 13:27:07

I imagine that if the Queen had had a choice she never would have chosen to be Queen. Who would? Huge responsibility, lack of privacy, living life in goldfish bowl, endless criticism whatever you do.
But she has led this life that was thrust upon her with great dignity and dedication.
I don't begrudge her the wealth either, it goes with the job.
And I bet it's a constant worry to her.
Let's be pleased for her to have two new little puppies.

Ellianne Fri 05-Mar-21 12:43:16

sodapop

Exactly BlueSky we all need a little happiness at the moment and what could be better than puppies.??

If you can even get hold of one!

sodapop Fri 05-Mar-21 12:41:07

Exactly BlueSky we all need a little happiness at the moment and what could be better than puppies.??

BlueSky Fri 05-Mar-21 12:10:08

A pleasant piece of news in a world of unhappiness and loss. Hope they’ll cheer her up.

Anniebach Fri 05-Mar-21 12:06:48

It was Llewelyn the last Prince of Wales who was Gelert’s master