Gransnet forums

Chat

Funny little colloquial phrases

(151 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 06-Mar-21 07:38:33

I was thinking about this today. One that I like here is, ‘Better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.’ Still in use today for when something is better than nothing!
Another good one still in use is,
‘A kangaroo loose in the top paddock’ for someone a bit strange.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:55:48

That reminds me, Monica, that my grandfather who spent all of WW1 in France saying, "C'est la guerre!" (it's the war('s fault) if anything went wrong or was unobtainable.

I was greatly surprised though to her a young woman, young enough go be my grand-daughter, use it in Marseille a few years ago.

Alioop Mon 08-Mar-21 11:56:58

Up there for thinking, down there for dancing

MooM00 Mon 08-Mar-21 11:58:26

It’s about as useless as an ashtray on a motor bike.

Witzend Mon 08-Mar-21 11:58:33

My American niece was very tickled on hearing what her older male cousin said to his sister, on hearing that she was expecting her 2nd baby - a very laconic, ‘I hear you’re up the duff again’.
She said she was exporting this Brit-ism back across the pond forthwith!

I never heard, ‘It’s black over Bill’s mother’s’ except here on GN, but I do love it.

Glasgo Mon 08-Mar-21 11:59:00

‘Yer like a hauf shut knife’.
You are looking a trifle jaded.

Magrithea Mon 08-Mar-21 12:01:03

'Cat's with gloves on can't catch mice' - not sure where it comes from but I think my Mum (or possibly my Grandma)!

Magrithea Mon 08-Mar-21 12:02:37

Or 'He/she's a bit Dagenham' (2 stops short of Barking!)

pydora Mon 08-Mar-21 12:04:43

If ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no work for Tinkers - London saying I think....

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:09:20

You'll always find it in the last place you look!! Think about it, you don't need to look further.

Nannan2 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:15:01

All fur coat & no knickers means they are pretending to be summat they arent! (Posh, but they are really common)

Grandmabeach Mon 08-Mar-21 12:16:27

When asked what's for dinner DM used to say 'Iffit Pie'.
When something does not turn out perfect MIL always said 'A blind man would be pleased to see it'.
FIL and now DH always say ' shrapnel' for small coins and 'going to turn my bike round' for going to the loo. Always amuses our American friends.

Nannan2 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:17:16

I never understood why folk say 'done up like a dogs dinner' when surely a dogs dinner is nothing much to look at?.....?

Stoker48 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:38:11

It’s snowing down South - meaning your underskirt is showing beneath your dress.
He’s like a dog with two tails.
I could eat a horse between two bread vans.
It’s cold enough for two hairnets.

Bluecat Mon 08-Mar-21 12:53:19

"Red hat, no drawers" - tarty.
"He doesn't know which side his arse hangs" - one of my nana's sayings, meaning "He is confused."
"I'm going to Huncote on a pig" - another old Leicestershire saying, an answer to "Where are you going?" If you were feeling expansive, you would add, "I'm going to put the pig on the wall to watch the band go by."

Sadly, I haven't heard anyone say it for years. It's probably dying out as a saying.

Mollygo Mon 08-Mar-21 12:59:09

He’s sent his brains for washing (clueless) and ‘café bread’ when the butter didn’t reach the edge.

Before we moved, the one I really hated was hearing some girls in Liverpool telling boys to ‘go run up me back’ instead of ‘go away’.

lexigran Mon 08-Mar-21 13:16:51

If we asked what was for tea my mam always said "stewed bugs and onions" and if we did something daft she'd say "you duck egg".

00mam00 Mon 08-Mar-21 13:20:21

When asked what’s for dinner, oh says ‘bread and pullet’.
When asked what it costs mum would say ‘money in good words’.
‘If brains were a disease you’d be in the best of health’.

Totaldogsbody Mon 08-Mar-21 14:00:22

Away ye go an bile yer heid ........ Go away you're talking rubbish.
I'm up to high doh ........ I'm stressed out.

sharon103 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:00:30

Got a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp.
Got out the wrong side of the bed. ( if someone was moody)
When I was courting my husband in our teens his mum used to tell us, It's alright playing with the candle as long as you don't put the wick out. (grin)

tattygran14 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:02:16

Got more front than Brighton?

Lizbethann55 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:37:37

Do you not find that so many of these found absolutely fine when you say them, but look really weird when you write them?

Lizbethann55 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:39:03

A South African colleague of mine said the other day, when asked to solve a work problem said " I've got other crocodiles nearer my boat" . Loved it!!

greenlady102 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:42:37

grandmajet

All fur coat and no knickers!
(Chilly)

I have always used that to mean putting on side, pretending to be better than you are. In Texas they say "Big hat and no cattle"

greenlady102 Mon 08-Mar-21 14:43:58

my favourite from my work days when asked to solve a problem that was not my problem (ususally people related) is "Not my circus, not my monkeys"

readsalot Mon 08-Mar-21 14:59:38

Charlie's dead meant your petticoat was showing. All my eye and Betty Martin was one of my mother's, but we never heard anyone else use it. I think it meant 'rubbish'.