Gransnet forums

Chat

What I can’t do (well) but can do better.

(59 Posts)
Calpurnia Sat 06-Mar-21 16:16:58

I know we all have different abilities which makes us the lovely unique people we are. I do believe, however insignificant, we all have talents - some useful others not so.

I would love to hear what abilities or not GN’s have -

I am pretty useless with the internet- scraping along the bottom really... but.... I can soothe a crying baby to sleep in a very short time and am a dab hand with a sewing needle - how about you ?

PamelaJ1 Sun 07-Mar-21 17:12:35

I can do the deadly killer Sudoku in the Times.
That’s it really. If only someone had invented it years ago. It may have made a huge difference to my life!

nadateturbe Sun 07-Mar-21 16:02:10

Cabbie21 I love codeword puzzles too. And not great at small talk.

nadateturbe Sun 07-Mar-21 15:57:48

I'm good at regrouting. (Or perhaps it suits my OH to tell me that)
I can play a good Sally Gardens on the tin whistle.
I'm not good at telephone conversations, no time to think.

Cabbie21 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:48:45

I can sing well, but I can’t co-ordinate to do anything else at the same time, not even clap. Definitely can’t dance, or act.
No practical skills apart from basic cooking, mending.

I can organise, manage rotas and timetables, manage life admin. Reasonably computer literate, except spreadsheets. Hate numbers. Good at Codeword puzzles but can’t do Sudoku.
Can’t make small talk or make people laugh, nor can DH, so people think we are very boring.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:44:20

I can cook, quiz, knit and sew, create a garden.

This internet thingy - not too clever. I feel that I've got just about enough information in my old brain and if I try to get it to accept more tech stuff it'll explode.

H1954 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:37:37

I appear to be very good at laundry, washing, drying and ironing.............probably because I've had lots of practice because no one else bothers!!!!!

JackyB Sun 07-Mar-21 15:36:43

I'm good at giving advice but not so good at heeding it myself.

timetogo2016 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:30:32

I have the knack of making my family and friends laugh.
My son says he hears me and dh before he sees us.

Lucca Sun 07-Mar-21 13:05:01

Urmstongran

I can’t sew or toffee. I don’t bake, craft cards, knit or garden.
I’m trying to think what I am good at....

Being a mum, grandma & a friend I think, says she modestly.
☺️

I can’t do those things either. Not so much a domestic goddess as a domestic earthling.

Can’t sing, dance, draw. Can’t organise money or understand it either.
Can play tennis but not well, ditto bridge.

I can speak a few languages. Used to teach well and can make people,laugh.

Lucca Sun 07-Mar-21 13:01:32

farview

Hoards not hoarders ?

Hordes. Sorry, couldn’t resist.

grandmajet Sun 07-Mar-21 12:47:18

Grandpajet is great at breaking things he is trying to mend! He has the ‘I’ll just bash it a little bit harder’ approach.

He thought our rotary drier was broken last week as he couldn’t put it up, although he used all his considerable strength. He ordered a new one from our local Handicentre. I then said ‘was the wire wrapped round the arm’. He looked quite blank, then I showed him how to untangle it so it would go up easily! Blushes at the Handicentre - er, we don’t need it now!

sodapop Sun 07-Mar-21 12:35:29

I'm so relieved to see that there are others who are not good at craft, cooking etc and other housewifely things. Talking to friends and acquaintances I thought I was the odd one out. grin

LauraNorder Sun 07-Mar-21 10:39:25

Oh I’d forgotten that talent Canadiangran, can’t wait to blow raspberries on toddlers tummies again. Just hope it still has them giggling now they’re a year older.

CanadianGran Sun 07-Mar-21 06:06:49

I cannot, and never could do a cart-wheel very well. Yeast never behaves properly for me and always end up with heavy tough rolls or bread.

I cannot draw people, but can draw birds quite well.

I can dive quite gracefully, and give wonderful raspberries on toddler's tummies.

cornergran Sun 07-Mar-21 02:24:15

Procrastination in the face of admin is my biggest skill. Otherwise I’m good at detail, organising, being persistent, I have an eye for colour, can breathe life into poorly plants, am good at listening to teenagers, baking when I motivate myself, ironing, biting my tongue and fence sitting. Very good at hanging on to the tv remote and sitting doing nothing, just looking.

I definitely have no skill at drawing or painting, singing, nursing (Mr C is feeling poorly and will vouch for that one!), running, climbing hills, mechanical things, patience when things that should work, like the washing machine, don’t work, tolerating noise, finding things I put somewhere safe, talking to people I don’t know, being in a crowd, staying away from chocolate.

I know how to change a wheel on a car, my Dad insisted I practice before I drove on my own more years ago than I care to think about. Because I can it doesn’t mean I would!

Callistemon Sat 06-Mar-21 23:52:19

LauraNorder

Apparently I’m good at disrupting.

???

I'm fairly mediocre at many things - is that better than being excellent at one thing but useless at all the rest?

I am persistent but is that a skill or an inherited trait?

nanna8 Sat 06-Mar-21 22:50:56

I can’t change a tap washer or do anything to do with a car, including cleaning it. I can’t snorkel anymore, I think I am going to drown and I can’t ride a bike anymore because it gives me backache and I wobble.
I can knit, sew, write and cook and do a bit of gardening but I avoid chainsaws.
People tell me their secrets, I used to be a social worker so that’s not surprising. I never divulge,which is also not surprising because it is totally drummed into us.

Lyndylou Sat 06-Mar-21 22:27:02

I'm pretty good with pc type skills, spreadsheets etc and I keep a very close eye on budget and bills, but I am rubbish at filing paper bills, they sit around in little piles until I have a clearout. But in my defence I am very good at spending money. hmm

I'm good at diy painting and wallpapering just getting worse at getting up and down step ladders.

Definitely getting worse at getting up in the morning and then from the sofa at night. My sofa has developed a bum groove over lockdown, it will swallow me up like a sink hole soon.

farview Sat 06-Mar-21 19:53:54

Hoards not hoarders ?

farview Sat 06-Mar-21 19:53:13

Good at ...gardening, d.i.y, driving, treasuring friends, being a mum&grandma (told so often) feeding hoarders (normal times) being a dinosaur (4yr old hurricane said so) holding tears in(re my overseas children/grandchildren)..keeping confidences.
Bad at ..sewing,crafting,knitting,...patience (with H)....budgeting (rubbish) stopping smoking ☹....doing anything with my curly,thick,totally messy hair.....applying makeup...looking tidy ?....cleaning windows....

BlueSky Sat 06-Mar-21 19:51:14

Can’t sew (apart from the proverbial button).
Can and do organise everything and everybody!

LauraNorder Sat 06-Mar-21 19:42:59

In my early career I was useless as part of a prosecution team but later found I was very good at defending. Seems I have a natural empathy with the scallies of this world.
I hope I’m a reasonably good wife, (as long as not much is expected of me).
I think I’ve been a good mother as my boys seem to like me.
I’m a loyal friend and have friends from schooldays.
I can draw well, wish I could paint.
I’m expert at procrastination.

foxie48 Sat 06-Mar-21 19:37:10

I am totally outstanding at being "average", there's nothing I can't do moderately well. I have spent my life being reasonably competent.

Missfoodlove Sat 06-Mar-21 19:28:59

I can cook.
I’m good with technology, stain removal, and logistics.
I am not very patient and rubbish at ironing.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Mar-21 19:13:56

That should have read I CANT sing or play a musical instrument

I can’t proof read either