Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeling like I achieved something - sewing

(6 Posts)
larry5 Sat 06-Mar-21 19:41:44

I have been able to sew for many years even making my own and my children’s clothes over the years but for the first time today I have managed to make an envelope cushion cover. I was always scared to try.

What things have others learnt to do over lockdown? I am sure that lots of others must have learnt something new.

Doodle Sat 06-Mar-21 19:52:21

Well done Larry nice to achieve something. I have always wanted to paint but have no talent so I have been doing painting by numbers. One of mine is now hanging in our hall.

Gwyneth Sat 06-Mar-21 20:09:35

It’s lovely to hear about people trying new things Larry. You don’t always have to be successful but attempting something is good. I knitted scarves for my two sons and myself for Christmas. I’m not a very good knitter but the ‘boys’ loved them. Actually, * Doodle* you’ve made me think about having a go at painting by numbers again. I loved doing it as a child.

Amberone Sat 06-Mar-21 21:15:30

Well done larry5 - I use old sheets and pillowcases to do a trial run when I try something new so I don't waste my material!

I've been able to sew for ages too, although not brilliantly. Twenty years ago I made the blinds and curtains for my house. But for some reason now that I need to make some more I am convinced I can't do it. My kitchen blinds have been waiting for five years...I'm going to have to bite the bullet at some point.

Lilypops Sat 06-Mar-21 21:21:22

When my DD were young , I made all their clothes , coats, dressing gowns , I made curtains, I covered a three piece suite without a pattern , yet now 73 yrs I have lost all confidence to even make a shift dress for myself , obviously my body shape has changed and it’s harder to get things to fit and not feel home made , also fabric and patterns are so expensive I think is it worth it, Maybe when we are allowed out again I may go to dressmaking classes as I really miss sewing clothes ,

Hetty58 Sat 06-Mar-21 21:22:40

My motivation and concentration are limited so I've just learnt some basic macrame (watching you tube) as I needed hanging 'holders' for my air plants.

I've now found an ornate picture frame in the garage, so plan to maybe paint it, then make a random wire 'grid' arrangement - as another air plant display.

I'm sticking to easy projects for now!