Gransnet forums

Chat

Ophra & the Windsors

(47 Posts)
Craftycat Sun 07-Mar-21 11:05:56

Don't know how to spell Ophra!
Are you going to watch the interview? I am in 2 minds. I have no interest in the couple TBH- I think they have behaved very badly at a time when the Queen has enough on her plate but at the same time I am curious to see why they feel they have been so badly treated. I suspect if I do watch it I will come away thinking they have got what they deserved.
I had never heard of Megan Markle before he married her as I do not watch US TV & very few films.

OnwardandUpward Fri 12-Mar-21 18:59:35

I think I would have gone with not wanting my kid to grow up near a sex offender, tbh. More tactful. And I'd have got a lawyer to address any race or bullying issues if they existed.

It will be hard for the family to recover from this, and it will be the next generation who will be fractured. The brothers' kids will not have an easy relationship like they could have had if this had been dealt with privately.

nadateturbe Fri 12-Mar-21 18:18:36

Anniebach

paddyanne do the younger ones you know follow you and
accept a commission to photograph them

Whatever do you mean Anniebach?

Calendargirl Fri 12-Mar-21 18:17:57

when the war time and post war generations are gone, Monarchy will go too

Most of us on GN will still see King Charles and possibly King William crowned then.

smile ?

Blossoming Fri 12-Mar-21 18:11:23

Don’t apologise lovetopaint this thread popped up in my feed at an opportune moment. I’ve decided to call the new kitten ‘Ophra’. I shall tell people she’s named after a goddess ?

Lovetopaint037 Fri 12-Mar-21 18:01:46

Whoops! I must be on the wrong thread. Sorry.

Lovetopaint037 Sun 07-Mar-21 23:45:03

Well I look at mumsnet and I am well old. It’s good to see what is going on with the younger generation. It’s also quite a laugh at times when they gang up on some unfortunate male who excites their idea of not behaving as he should. I often say “mumsnet !” to dh and raise my eyebrows should he be annoying me. “Oh! No, not mumsnet” he says in mock horror.
There are of course people on there with real problems which are really upsetting. Sometimes an older head can give some perspective which may or may not be helpful. However, Gransnet, I find is much kinder place tin the main.

Bridgeit Sun 07-Mar-21 23:03:25

Paddyanne if one makes money from taking photos of members of the RF.,one would think it would be sensible not to broadcast ones utter dislike of them on a social media forum. !

Lynker Sun 07-Mar-21 22:58:27

Many years ago, I read an article about Oprah Winfrey...she explained her name was Harpo backwards. Hope this helps!

GrannyCarrots Sun 07-Mar-21 20:37:45

Callistemon

GrannyCarrots do you think that bullying of staff is acceptable then?

It's strange that it is totally unacceptable when Priti Patel is alleged to have bullied staff and Gransnetters were quick to condemn her but when the Duchess of Sussex is alleged to have bullied staff people are "getting at Meghan".

I think the Palace did their best to keep a lid on the bullying allegations to protect Meghan from more media intrusion and also did their best to help the staff concerned but, by trying to do both, probably failed to deal with it adequately.

I really don't think I said bullying was ok! Or even implied it. Bullying of any sort is completely disgusting and should always be condemned. There is no proof of bullying, none. Unlike Pritti Patel. But there is another agenda at work here. And what I do think is that it's easy to blame a woman, esp a woman who has had the press hounding her, who doesn't fit in with the prescribed norms. And for that I admire Harry for standing by her.

Callistemon Sun 07-Mar-21 16:34:19

Am I allowed to quote this excellent post from another thread?

Am I the only one on here who is livid that an "alleged" bully has been let off, has the backing of her boss who chose to ignore reports criticising her and that I as a taxpayer have to foot the bill? Presumably the home office and other departments are now a free for all for bullies. Those of you blaming the victim should be ashamed of yourselves, you have obviously never experienced first hand the effects of bullying on a close family member. I have, and it is awful and the implications long lasting.

Callistemon Sun 07-Mar-21 16:30:38

GrannyCarrots do you think that bullying of staff is acceptable then?

It's strange that it is totally unacceptable when Priti Patel is alleged to have bullied staff and Gransnetters were quick to condemn her but when the Duchess of Sussex is alleged to have bullied staff people are "getting at Meghan".

I think the Palace did their best to keep a lid on the bullying allegations to protect Meghan from more media intrusion and also did their best to help the staff concerned but, by trying to do both, probably failed to deal with it adequately.

AGAA4 Sun 07-Mar-21 15:41:36

I agree that they should have gone and adopted the 'least said soonest mended' approach allowing Harry, in time, to return to return to his family if he wants to.
They want revenge and revenge can often backfire.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 15:26:27

They ve treated Meghan badly just as they did Diana when she fell out of favour They (The firm) and the press treated Fergie dreadfully (she made a business of not showing she cared, maybe she didn’t, because she had a different personality) Margaret was treated badly when she didn’t toe the line so she removed herself and had a pretty chaotic lifestyle ever after Camilla was treated badly but kept her head down and didn’t put a foot wrong and was eventually accepted
If anyone (mainly women it seems) goes against their very formal ‘rules’ they have a finger print on their forehead and Meghan very quickly had hers so there was never a chance

They should have gone quietly disappeared into the ether, their mistake is fighting back it can only get much much worse for both sides A dignified silence is the only way which would have worked

FannyCornforth Sun 07-Mar-21 15:13:47

Lucca

Where is OP ?

Being insulted by Rufus on the Age Gap thread hmm

Grany Sun 07-Mar-21 15:01:23

Well Said GrannyCarrots I agree.

GrannyCarrots Sun 07-Mar-21 13:50:15

The royals are an outdated concept...time for them to go. But it is disgusting the way the press has treated Meghan (I find out from Twitter!!) and typical that somehow things are always the 'new' woman's fault (just look at the silence about Andrew and the constant bullying of Meghan and her kid). Allegations of bullying from her suit the press's and the Royal's agenda. Good luck to them I say. I just wish all the other Royals would 'resign' as well.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 13:44:11

Yes, I've missed them! That's not like me grin

I'm not starting another one though. Wouldn't do my sanity any good!

Callistemon Sun 07-Mar-21 13:29:40

Alegrias1

I've just been reading a couple of M&H threads on Mumsnet, started in the last couple of days. Granted, they are not nearly as vitriolic as the ones on here. grin

They also have a "would you vote to keep the monarchy: yes/no" thread.

Tempted, tempted......

You must have missed the umpteen threads on voting to keep a monarchy/would you vote for a republic, Alegrias. There have been many. Probably too many!

paddyanne - do tell, as you said you have accepted commissions to photograph the Royals over the years, and presumably seen many Royal backsides, are you saying that they don't have the sun shining out of their backsides? ????

sad

I'm a pragmatist, not an ardent Royalist. If they sort themselves out, slim down as they are doing, send Andy to America etc then I'm happy with the status quo.

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 13:22:59

Just leave them alone for the sake of sanity
if they are digging themselves a hole let them, I think they have done exactly the right thing to get out of this toxic media driven country They ve made a big mistake trying to justify it they should have just gone and let that be the end of it His mother was hounded by The Firm he should have taken his wife and babies and lived a new life without any further blame or justification
But what does chewing it over on numerous threads under different titles achieve?
I agree with the young people the Royalty is done and dusted When Elizabeth is gone they will melt away ( hopefully)
they ve had their day it’s an outdated institution that cost us a lot of money if they were less rich, less entitled, less spoilt I would feel differently

Lucca Sun 07-Mar-21 13:11:40

Where is OP ?

Gannygangan Sun 07-Mar-21 13:08:18

I've not made many comments on these threads but thanks to Lucca listing some of the many

I have come to the conclusion that I feel so angry with Megan and Harry is my favourite title

Short, punchy, to the point, no messing around

maddyone Sun 07-Mar-21 13:02:18

I don’t read Mumsnet, I think the title seems to suggest it’s for mums of young children, not adult children. But each to their own in my opinion.

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 12:53:56

I'm not quite as direct as you paddyanne but I do tend to agree smile

Anniebach Sun 07-Mar-21 12:49:37

paddyanne do the younger ones you know follow you and
accept a commission to photograph them

BlueBelle Sun 07-Mar-21 12:33:03

Ohhhhhh no not another thread can we talk about something else pleeeeeze