Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone else?

(23 Posts)
MerylStreep Tue 09-Mar-21 16:43:36

I always have good intentions of a lazy day but I find it impossible. I’ve always had lots of energy and I’m blessed with good health.

Nonogran Tue 09-Mar-21 16:36:16

Hello Old woman 70! I'm in your club! I love my lazy mornings & have been quite happy in lockdown. I watch news, drink tea, eat brekky in slow time. I'm often not dressed until 10.30! However, this morning I was up at day break to open up at 0800 for a gardener who need to prep the space for my new shed! Nearly killed me!
I longed for lazy mornings when I was working and love every minute of retirement.

Jaxjacky Tue 09-Mar-21 16:10:15

If DH is working, as he has yesterday and today, up at 6:45, I’m not good at having a lie in. Although I’m up, I’m not ‘with it’ for a good hour, I get dressed straight out of bed, teeth etc. Then, it depends on the day, quite busy yesterday, today I cleaned the oven and fridge, nipped to the village shop, went for a walk and tidied the garden a bit before the weather kicks in tonight. I bath or shower during the day somewhen, I’m definitely more active than I was a few weeks ago, the allotments calls, so more to do. I’m getting blackout curtains sorted for our room, last summer I had an eye masks to sleep in, as soon as the sun hits our room, I’m awake.

AGAA4 Tue 09-Mar-21 16:08:01

I always wake at 7am these days. I wish I could sleep a bit longer but I am wide awake. Make up for it by mooching about in my dressing gown till around 8.30 then shower, dress and off out for a walk.
The rest of the day slips by with housework, reading, an hour of puzzles and some phone calls and texting.
The days go over very quickly. How did I ever find time to work?

Jane43 Tue 09-Mar-21 15:52:23

Since lockdown I haven’t tended to get up, get washed and dressed until around 8:30am because the days seem so long if I get up earlier. The rest of the day is taken up with housework, walking the dog, reading, watching tv or speaking to family in the evenings. I shower before bedtime. Hopefully when lockdown ends and it gets a bit warmer I will be more active as I feel the cold more as I get closer to 80. I used to be able to clean the whole house on my day off but now I have to do a little cleaning each day.

MissChateline Tue 09-Mar-21 15:49:35

I’m definitely a lark. The moment I open my eyes I’m wide awake. Tea in bed and up and showered by 7.30 then out for an hours walk before breakfast and a pot of coffee.
I hate wasting time and if a job needs doing it’s done immediately. So I keep myself busy all day.
Now my partner is exactly the opposite in every way. Hates getting up, never exercises at all and is the worlds worst procrastinator.

LauraNorder Tue 09-Mar-21 15:42:40

My lockdown life is not the life I had. Orlin gets up at 7.30, gets a headache if he sleeps longer. I wake any time between 8 and 10.30. Clump about noisily for five minutes so that Orlin knows I’m awake. He brings me a cuppa and updates me on the days news. He goes back downstairs and I catch up with Gransnet and watch a bit of tv. I get up, shower and dress and waltz downstairs in time for lunch. We have a walk after lunch and we get stuck in to chores, paperwork or board games in the afternoon. Zoom, Skype or phone family or friends. I draw or paint, he plays computer games.
Evening meal, tv, books or chat then back to bed for a film on Netflix. Day done.
When the weather warms up I’ll get up earlier and spend time in the garden.
When were allowed I’ll see more of family and friends in small groups outdoors and support small local businesses.
I don’t feel guilty as I’ve never read the rule book that stipulates the correct time for getting up.

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 15:27:09

Reading in bed and laughing at brilliant comedy is time well spent in my opinion. Time wasted is doing things you don’t enjoy flowers

EllanVannin Tue 09-Mar-21 14:57:39

I'm in no hurry either. I keep telling myself not to keep feeling guilty about the lack of motivation after years of hurtling about, if it wasn't at home and work it's was around airports----so it's time to give the old body a well earned rest.grin

Kim19 Tue 09-Mar-21 12:43:07

O70, you are certainly not alone. My mornings are now so elongated that I only make it to the kitchen in time for brunch. Suits me fine actually. Now I do anything 'urgent' in the afternoon. Unfortunately workmen tend to always want to come in early morning. Nowadays I have to grudgingly set my alarm to accommodate them. Never would have believed that would prove necessary for me. I guess adapt and survive is the name of the game.

GreyKnitter Tue 09-Mar-21 12:36:00

I’m always going to be exemplary on my diet tomorrow! Some days I am, but most days I’m not!!!!

Witzend Tue 09-Mar-21 12:33:35

I only got dressed about 20 minutes ago - and it’s nearly 12.30!

Had a very sleepless night, only got up around 9 and spent far too long doing word puzzles in the paper and YouTubing a lot of Pam Ayres and Victoria Wood - a link to Pam Ayres on another recent thread started me off down that long and lazy route - but they gave me a lot of laughs so who cares? (Not me.)

Off for grocery shopping soon, though, and some batch cooking, so the day won’t be entirely wasted.

BigBertha1 Tue 09-Mar-21 12:26:00

Doesn't seem any point in getting up early at the moment - nowhere to go nothing to do. We get up somewhere between 8 and 9 having both read a huge chunk of our current book. Once 29th March comes we shall be up quite a bit earlier getting ready for golf or a country walk a bit further afield.

Blossoming Tue 09-Mar-21 11:49:55

After years of getting up at the crack of dawn for work I now find myself lying in bed until 9am. By the time I‘ve taken my meds, done my exercises, washed, dressed etc. it can easily get to 10am before I’m ready to face the world grin

Redhead56 Tue 09-Mar-21 11:49:24

I am the same shower get dressed then get comfy on the bed with iPad. But I have had a couple of busy days this week in moderation of course. Made chutney and marmalade planted seeds etc. Next job putting canes up for beans but I have enjoyed a more relaxed lifestyle.

grandmajet Tue 09-Mar-21 11:15:04

I’m exactly the same. I have a cup of tea in bed, read the news on my iPad, look at the gransnet morning thread, go downstairs, have breakfast in front of the T.v., then shower and start the civilised day of pottering from job to job plus a little walk.
As long as you feel contented, what does it matter? I used to be so busy it’s quite nice not to be.

tanith Tue 09-Mar-21 11:06:28

I wake early but I only get up straight away in the Summer, take my tea and iPad into the garden. In the Winter I’m awake but either read, watch the news with a cuppa in bed. If I get up early it makes my mostly empty COVID isolated days even longer. So I get up at 8:30ish then shower have breakfast catch up with GN by then it’s gone 10am and I go for a long walk by the time I’m back half the day is gone.

mumofmadboys Tue 09-Mar-21 10:49:37

I have become very proficient at wasting time during lockdown!

BlueSky Tue 09-Mar-21 10:47:18

I get up early every morning but then spend two blissful hours on my own, drinking coffee and checking emails, news and social media! cafe

Devorgilla Tue 09-Mar-21 10:40:12

I have to take a pill at 9am approximately so that gets me up. It doesn't mean I get done everything, or indeed anything, I had carefully planned the night before. Lockdown idleness.

libra10 Tue 09-Mar-21 10:38:29

I'm the opposite!

Up at the crack of dawn, disturbed either by my husband snoring or our little dog climbing on the bed.

I love having a couple of hours early in the day in the peace and quiet, but would love another hour or two sleep occasionally!

midgey Tue 09-Mar-21 10:37:50

It’s amazing the plans I make at night! So many diets started, new regimes begun and so on, yet here I am reading GN and eating too much breakfast. The dog and the ironing await and I haven’t made my bed yet......

Oldwoman70 Tue 09-Mar-21 10:32:47

Every night I go to bed determined to get up early in the morning and get on with the day - yet every morning I stay in bed and by the time I have showered, dressed and had breakfast it is gone 10.00. Please tell me I am not alone in this!