Gransnet forums

Chat

Apart from a bus pass.....

(35 Posts)
NotAGran55 Thu 11-Mar-21 19:27:51

.....what else can I look forward to upon reaching the state retirement age later this year ?

BlueSky Sat 20-Mar-21 12:53:40

The main benefits for me have been lifestyle changes.
Not having to get up early and rush out of the house in all weathers.
Not being stuck indoors during a lovely spring/summer day.
I honestly don’t know how I managed!

JackyB Sat 20-Mar-21 12:24:31

Whoops. Have just noticed typo there. Gransnet. Sorry.

JackyB Sat 20-Mar-21 11:26:51

Grins et have à section on this. It took me a while to find. No good to me though as I don't live in the UK

www.gransnet.com/legal-and-money/money-saving-tips-for-over-60s

Chakotay Sat 13-Mar-21 10:53:07

My bus pass is something I have been looking forward to, alas during lockdown the council offices and libraries that I can order my first one through are closed, I am ready, had my photo done before it went into a lockdown mess so I don't have to wait to get a hair appointment first

Ealdemodor Sat 13-Mar-21 10:29:14

Free book orders at the Library in my town, assume this is nationwide.

Ellianne Sat 13-Mar-21 08:09:30

I'm very interested in this too looking forward like the OP for 4 years time. For some posters it appears to be the discounts and freebies, for others it is the lifestyle. Are they linked, or do you compartmentalise your life more?

NotAGran55 Sat 13-Mar-21 05:40:14

Thanks for all the replies . I will keep my eyes ? open ....

I don’t use public transport, wouldn’t go to the cinema in the morning, don’t eat in chain restaurants, and already get free eye tests and prescriptions from 60 .

My hairdresser is an independent and doesn’t give discounts.
I was interested in the NT suggestion , but that is from 60 and only applicable if you have been a member for 5 years already.

I actually like working and after finishing my contract last summer signed up for some voluntary work . I always do the morning shifts as I like to ‘get up and get on’ with a purpose in the day .
I’m an early riser , currently waiting to get up smile

grannysyb Fri 12-Mar-21 18:27:20

Where I'm lucky enough to live, free public transport. I use it a lot! Free prescriptions. If anyone has hearing aids, can I reccomend the disabled railcard instead of the senior railcard, it's cheaper!

Franbern Fri 12-Mar-21 18:02:31

Throwing out your alarm clock, and getting up exactly when your on body clock feels it is right.

ninathenana Fri 12-Mar-21 17:17:50

Some of you do very well. No shop discounts in our small town. Discount at nearest cinema 25 miles away. Theatre same distance.
I do have a bus pass

Megs36 Fri 12-Mar-21 16:41:24

Taxi vouchers where I live.Free prescriptions.Waking up ?

nadateturbe Fri 12-Mar-21 16:09:18

Concessions for Open Learning courses.

glammanana Fri 12-Mar-21 15:41:10

Fe pass for buses/ferry/trains as far as Chester/Southport (I think) from Wirral saves a fortune in Summer.
10 - 20% off meal prices at at lots of restaurants/theatres/cinema's cheap morning showings of new films.
Cheaper car insurance if you are lucky,discounts from tradesmen all well worth having.

Peasblossom Fri 12-Mar-21 15:20:59

Loads of discounts in local shops etc near me if you’re willing to go off peak. You just have to research a bit.

And free concerts and stuff.

Not just for oldies. It’s just that now you’ll have time to take advantage of them.

M0nica Fri 12-Mar-21 15:14:34

Ailsa43, I am not sure there are any lists. The organisations giving discounts are so disparate.

What you need to do is keep your eyes open and ask if you think there may be a concession.

I always ask in any cultural venue, because they nearly always do. Also general entetainment attractions. Hairdressers usually have a not in their window with the price list. Food concessions are usually limited to restaurant chains like Harvester, Beefeater and the like - family venues where older people like to lunch and are likely to treat the family.

Eloethan Fri 12-Mar-21 00:07:25

Not having to sit at work on a beautiful sunny day or go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

Blossoming Thu 11-Mar-21 23:17:22

You get £10 from the DWP at Christmas and £200 winter fuel payment.

Ailsa43 Thu 11-Mar-21 23:00:34

I'd be interested in having a list of what Discounts are available for people who have just reached retirement age ( 66 ) as I will be later this year

I've been told that all I will receive is a free Bus pass.. as well as my state pension... I've been getting free eye tests since I was 60, but I always thought there was more than that at retirement age. I live in a small town, not a city so can't take advantage of many city travel benefits or Theatre tickets ..

Blossoming Thu 11-Mar-21 22:22:50

I’ve had a disabled person’s bus pass for years, so not even that!

Charleygirl5 Thu 11-Mar-21 21:31:17

When theatres are up and running- remember them? A discount if one is over 60.

Not having to go out until the frost has melted naturally on my car windows.

Being paid £200 a year towards my heating bills.

No longer getting up at some ungodly hour, rain or shine to be in the centre of London by 7. 30 am.

Not having to think for 5 days a week what I was going to wear each day.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Mar-21 21:15:42

There's a lot to be said for retirement really. No demands are made on you and you're not to time with anything unless you've made the plans / arrangements yourself. Just enjoy it after years of slog.

Harris27 Thu 11-Mar-21 21:07:05

Love it granny bags!

Grannybags Thu 11-Mar-21 21:05:20

Turning over in bed while you listen to your neighbour scraping ice off their car!

kittylester Thu 11-Mar-21 21:00:11

Not having to get up st a specific time!

chelseababy Thu 11-Mar-21 20:40:37

State pension if you qualify