Gransnet forums

Chat

Rubbish Films

(116 Posts)
tinaf1 Tue 16-Mar-21 18:12:40

Following on from the enjoyable thread about rubbish books,

Was wondering what really hyped up films you have seen and thought , what was so great about that.
Mine are
The Favourite
Groundhog Day
Lost in Translation
Cannot think of any more at the moment but I’m sure there are quite a few more.

Bluecat Thu 18-Mar-21 15:21:54

Lost In Translation

Eyes Wide Shut.

Forrest Gump. In fact, all Tom Hanks' films except Splash! and Big. It's not that I don't like him but I don't enjoy the films that he's in. You've Got Mail was particularly awful. It had none of the charm of the original, The Shop Around The Corner.

Harry Potter films. Excruciating.

Anything by Quentin Tarantino. Utterly horrible people doing horrible things. Overrated dialogue.

Slumdog Millionaire. Billed as "the feelgood film of the year." Dead mother, child has eyes gouged out, prostitution, police brutality, murdered brother. Happy happy joy joy, as Ren and Stimpy used to say.

JaneJudge Thu 18-Mar-21 15:14:26

oh god Manchester by the sea was SUCH a sad film sad

earnshaw Thu 18-Mar-21 15:10:10

showing my age but my favourite actress is Bette Davis, she has made some brilliant films, of the later films , i loved The Greatest Showman from start to finish

Naninka Thu 18-Mar-21 14:57:17

Manchester By Sea. 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back.
La La Land likewise.
Both won oscars. Why?

olliebeak Thu 18-Mar-21 14:56:14

Mama Mia - despite both my sisters' attempts to get me to like it. They can't understand that I HATE Abba music - more of a 'rock chick' than 'disco queen' wink. They insisted on putting it on the TV during a caravan holiday - I sat knitting all the way through it, just to prove my disinterest grin.

Les Miserables - No thank you! In school we used to refer to this book as 'The Crying B*g*ers' grin. Even the term 'Les Mis' makes me want to grind my teeth!

It's A Wonderful Life - so pleased to see that I'm not the only one who can't stand this. When you say you don't like it, people look at you as though you've admitted to 'shooting Bambi's mother' shock. Pass me the remote, PLEASE!

On Golden Pond - when the credits rolled at the end, I was still waiting for the story to begin confused. Surely this film was only made because 'Hollywood powers-that-be' realised that Henry Ford had NEVER won an Oscar throughout his career, was getting on in years and therefore needed to be 'recognised' as one of their Acting Greats wink.

There's lots of others as well - usually when something has been 'over-hyped' or contains far too much CGI such as:

King Kong (Jack Black version) Kong would have caught them all within three strides during that 'chase scene'!

Gladiator - nope, didn't do anything for me at all!

Lord of The Rings - those battle scenes, oh pleeeeeese.

EMMF1948 Thu 18-Mar-21 14:55:24

Casdon

Titanic - absolutely predictable.

After about half an hour I found myself saying For God's sake, sink!

dolphindaisy Thu 18-Mar-21 14:53:35

Fully agree with many of the films already mentioned numerous times even though a lot of them are Oscar winners:
American Beauty
Lost in Translation
La La Land
Mamma Mia
The Sound of Music
anything with John Wayne

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Mar-21 14:46:03

Okay, tinaf1, you’ve won me round with your kind words about Jimmy and your tasty sandwiches.

I’m always a sucker for a mid-afternoon snack. smile

tinaf1 Thu 18-Mar-21 14:32:58

Maggiemaybe ,I too think James Stewart was great along with a lot of other actors of that era. Just the film itself I just can’t see why it’s classed as the ultimate Christmas feel good film.

Can I come from behind the sofa now I’ve got some marmalade sandwiches ?

Paperback writer why not start an alternative thread about best books and films you’ve seen. I don’t think it’s necessarily depressing or
slagging off , just lighthearted about what different people enjoy, you can see from the posts some poster’s heaven is another’s hell .

EMMF1948 Thu 18-Mar-21 14:28:43

Glengarry Glen Ross - I paid to watch it, so I suffered.

Reminds me of my late MIL who was complaining about how disgusting the film Shampoo was that she and her friend had been to see on cheap pensioners afternoon. We asked why they hadn't got up and left and being Yorkshire women she said, We'd paid to go in so we stayed!

EMMF1948 Thu 18-Mar-21 14:23:51

Titanic, all the Tolkein stuff, all the Star Wars stuff.
I can't stand sci-fi, I wouldn't go and see Chariots of Fire many years ago and I've seen more of Start Wars in the queues in Florida than anywere else.

Maggiemaybe Thu 18-Mar-21 14:12:17

tinaf1

It’s a Wonderful Life ducks behind the sofa?

I’m leaning over that sofa back now giving all you naysayers a very hard Paddington Bear stare. angry I won’t have a word said against James Stewart, do you hear?

But oh yes, Mamma Mia, Lost in Translation, La La Land, James Bond and Jim Carey. Spare me.

And Isle of Dogs and Where the Wild Things are. Children’s films? They gave me nightmares!

Raingreene Thu 18-Mar-21 13:57:55

There’s a new film out on Netflix called Capone - we watched it for 1/2 hour had to put it off ....Normally love Tom Hardy but this ones a turkey!! Didn’t like Mama Mia either.

cassandra264 Thu 18-Mar-21 13:53:49

Agree wholeheartedly about American Beauty, The Greatest Showman, La La Land - and especially the latest version of Little Women, with its appalling miscasting and to and fro scene switching.
However, I think Brief Encounter is a period piece and needs to be viewed in its historical context. It was made at a time when attitudes were very different and was considered quite shocking at the time.

On the positive side, under lockdown have caught up on TV with a number of films I missed first time around. Much enjoyed 'Sliding Doors'. It made a change from the latest corona virus updates.

handbaghoarder Thu 18-Mar-21 13:53:22

Totally agree notgoneyet. Find it difficult to watch films when I’ve read the book first, for the same reasons. Similarly, many years ago we saw Shirley Valentine in the West End. It was a monologue with Paula Wilcox, with kitchen units as staging in the first half, and a rock on the beach in the second half. Loved every minute and couldnt wait for the film. Sadly I hated it. The scenery was beautiful; that gorgeous blue sea, loads of other colourful characters, but the whole thing just distracted and diluted the message of the play IMO. Loved reading First Marigold hotel but didnt enjoy film as that wasnt how it all appeared in my head. Again, although sumptuous, too much distraction I think. I cant get into audiobooks either. The characters, the intonation and accents etc, unsurprisingly, never sound the same as they do in my head when I’m reading. But how lucky are we to have such a variety and wealth of choice at our fingertips in so many different formats.

Oldwoman70 Thu 18-Mar-21 13:50:36

Another vote against Moulin Rouge
Robin Hood Prince of Thieves
The remake of Day of the Jackal with Bruce Willis and Richard Gere
Any of the super hero films
Anything with Jack Black

Diggingdoris Thu 18-Mar-21 13:43:46

Moulin rouge
Once upon a time Hollywood
La la land

Can't remember other titles but there's lots more. DH doesn't like musicals but I do, so we don't always agree on what to watch!

EllanVannin Thu 18-Mar-21 13:16:40

That excruciating film " The Rocky Horror Show "was on sometime last year. I quickly changed channels and couldn't understand how or why people could go the length of their nose to sit through a show like that after paying good money.
I'd have run out screaming ! Hyped to Hell it was too.

Quizzer Thu 18-Mar-21 13:13:40

The Revenant - very hyped up and di Caprio won an Oscar for it. 2 1/2 hours of my life completely wasted!

GillT57 Thu 18-Mar-21 13:07:32

La la Land was overhyped, I kept waiting for something to happen....
Any Science fiction; Star Wars, Star Trek
Avatar was probably the most tedious film I have ever seen, I took my glasses off so that the 3d didn't work!
Any or all of The Lord of The Rings

Kartush Thu 18-Mar-21 12:57:25

The latest Hellboy, you cant have hellboy without Ron Perlman
Alien 3, Promethius, Alien Covenant
Alien v predator reqium
A million ways to die in the west,
The Mummy 3 and the new Mummy with Tom Cruise, actually anything with Tom Cruise in it,
any Jim Carey movie,
Crouching tiger Hidden dragon the dubbed version, it was way way better with subtitles
Blade Runner without the commentary track and Blade Runner 2409
And the list goes on

GrannyGravy13 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:52:55

Just thought of another one, The Grand Budapest Hotel!

Bakingmad0203 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:40:47

leeds22
I love Clint Eastwood but I too found some of the cowboy films a bit boring
Bored stiff with The Greatest Showman, The Favourite made me cringe, as did the Mama Mia films.
Recently I have made the mistake of rewatching films that I loved such as Dr Zhivago and have been very disappointed as they were not as good as I remembered?

Notsooldat75 Thu 18-Mar-21 12:30:33

I slept peacefully through the whole of the Silence of the Lambs.

Aepgirl Thu 18-Mar-21 12:25:21

Lucca, I’m with you on The Greatest Showman. It bored me. Why was it ever made, when Barnum was so good?

Incidentally, I lived LaLa Land.