Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy St Patrick’s Day

(12 Posts)
Sago Wed 17-Mar-21 11:20:39

Happy ☘️ St Patrick’s day.
Not sure how many Irish GNetters are out there.
Do you normally celebrate and how will you pay homage this year?

Farmor15 Wed 17-Mar-21 11:43:30

Thanks Sago - I'm an Irish GNetter. When children were young we used to go to parades and other entertainment, but haven't done for years and of course now there's nothing live on though there's some kind of virtual festival: www.stpatricksfestival.ie/

If it's a fine day, I usually use the day to start catching up on some spring gardening. I'm planning to cut the grass later but OH has suggested a walk around the local area, greeting our neighbours from a distance!

There's a lovely field of daffodils near which are in full bloom. The now elderly farmer planted them years ago to sell, but now they just provide a lovely sight for locals.

Kate1949 Wed 17-Mar-21 12:11:35

My parents were from Southern Ireland. I went to a Catholic/mainly Irish school. I used to love St Patrick's Day. We always had shamrock ☘️ sent from Ireland and were given green ribbons by the nuns.
We don't celebrate these days, apart from sometimes going to the fantastic St Patrick's Day Parade in Birmingham. Cancelled this year obviously.

Aveline Wed 17-Mar-21 12:30:03

We always used to be invited to a lovely St Patrick's day breakfast at a large local hotel. It was organised by a local company. There were always speeches, Irish dancers, a lovely big breakfast and a glass of Guinness for the toast. It was a highlight of the year. I do hope they organise one again next year.

Jaxjacky Wed 17-Mar-21 12:54:36

Married to a Belfast man here. Usually our local would be decorated, as it is for most occasions, no real celebrations, he’s at work so not even an Ulster fry!

Sago Wed 17-Mar-21 13:09:33

Farmor beautiful daffs what a display.
I will raise a glass tonight.

maydonoz Wed 17-Mar-21 14:22:55

Happy St Patrick's Day from Welwyn, Herts.
I was born and grew up in the Midlands in Ireland, came to London when I was eighteen to do my Nursing training.
When we were kids, we used to wear shamrock on our sweaters and green ribbons in our hair.
When our DC were little we would celebrate by going to the parade or similar.
Today am childminding DGS so may have a glass of something nice in the evening after my little charge has gone home!
Enjoy the day if you can.

NotSpaghetti Wed 17-Mar-21 14:34:15

We also celebrated St Patrick's Day - usually with music and singing.
I've walked in parades and also watched them.
My two youngest girls would have invariably been dancing somewhere too.

I do miss it - even though my own heritage is hardly Irish at all.

Jaxjacky Wed 17-Mar-21 15:01:04

DH has just come home with a pack of Guinness! ☘️

vampirequeen Wed 17-Mar-21 16:46:29

I've always had a soft spot for St Patrick.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Wed 17-Mar-21 16:53:26

Apparently, St. Patrick was born in Banwen, in South Wales. Happy St.Patrick's day to all.

mrshat Wed 17-Mar-21 21:25:01

And a very late Happy St Patrick's Day from me, another Irish Grandma! I still miss it and the big parades in Dublin shamrock. We do not celebrate it anymore now the children have grown, just mark the occasion with a nice wine! Although I worked in 'The Brewery' all those years ago, I never could stomach Guinness blush