Gransnet forums

Chat

I'm going back to work!

(24 Posts)
JuneRose Thu 08-Apr-21 23:00:54

Hi, I started a new job in December 2019 aged 59. I had been freelance for 25 years so it was a big change. I do four days a week, six hours a day - it's great, although I never thought my first year would be mostly working at home! Just thinking for you maybe fewer hours would be an easier way to start back and would give you a little quality time for yourself as well.

CrafterInCumbria Thu 08-Apr-21 22:52:56

Just in case, have you applied for your stamp while caring for your grandchild ? These cane be accredited to you towards your state pension. ?

grannyrebel7 Thu 08-Apr-21 20:07:28

Try the civil service. They have very good diversity programs these days and employ lots of older people.

Nannyfrance Thu 08-Apr-21 19:05:51

I left my Civil Service job when I was 62 to care for my father who had Alzheimer’s and also to help out with my grandchildren. Three years ago when my Dad went into a Care Home and my Grandchildren no longer needed my care I started a part time job as a Caregiver for the elderly. Although the role is completely different to the administrative roles I held previously, I enjoy the job which is very rewarding. I am now 70 years of age and intend to carry on working as long as I am able to provide the care my clients need. Care workers are desperately needed at the moment.

5together Thu 08-Apr-21 18:43:08

I always think that childcare makes for an efficient worker, one used to juggling multiple things and managing their time. Think about the skills you have been using when you update your CV, they are valued but often forgotten by those returning to the (paid) workplace. Also think carefully about the jobs you go for and your plans to cover childcare in the holidays- it’s not fair to you, DGC or employer if you are trying to look after a child and work at the same time (and working from home can be at least as busy as being in the office), but some employers offer term time only contracts (ie you only work in term time) or other forms of flexible working. Good Luck!

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Apr-21 18:33:47

Best of luck Foxglove I returned part time in 2019, after early retirement in 2016, it finished in March 2020, partly Covid. I enjoyed it, my skills were still there, but it was a Parish Council and some established personalities were a challenge.

Knopflerfan Thu 08-Apr-21 18:20:53

Good luck Foxglove77 - it’s like riding a bike, you’ll soon get back into it ( agree about the IT help or courses though, the darn things change all the time ....!)
I lost my job as a solicitor due to MS in my 40s — and retrained as a TEFL teacher here in France in my late 50s - and it was so good to have colleagues again and to feel I was being useful and earning again. I miss it now I’m “really” retired.

4allweknow Thu 08-Apr-21 18:11:45

Not sure about it bring easy to gain full time employment with a the changes Covid has brought. Obviously experience should count but not always with so many young people out of work and possibly awarded a lower salary. Sure your positive approach will see you through any interviews.

Shirls52000 Thu 08-Apr-21 14:06:20

I retired from nursing to help my daughter with my first grandchild, he’s 2 1/2 now and I still help out with childcare but have gone back to work doing vaccine clinics and am loving it

mar76 Thu 08-Apr-21 13:40:02

I had a 12 year gap. I went to secretarial college to update my skills as technology had progressed immensely and managed to get back into the workplace.

Rose30 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:55:58

5 years after retirement at 71 I went back to work as a solicitor. Sadly the IT had moved on and there was no-one at hand to guide me since I had to work remotely. This was not anticipated when I agreed to go back to do temporary cover. After 10 days we had to admit it wasn't going to work for either of us. Very disappointed! Also wondered if my brain had slowed down......

However, I recently started work as a census officer which proved to me that their IT was at fault (mind bogglingly creaky) because I have taken to dealing with several APPS on a phone with no problem at all.

I suppose what I am trying to say is, if one job doesn't work for you, don't be disheartened! Try something else until you find something you enjoy!

cc Thu 08-Apr-21 12:53:17

lilyH

You could always start by doing Temping, sometimes this can even lead you into being offered employment, but also helps return your confidence inside an office environment. Best of luck x

This is a good idea if you are up to date with the latest IT, but most agencies will test your skills and speeds.

cc Thu 08-Apr-21 12:51:59

When I went back I did a government funded computer course, but I'm not sure that they're offering now. However there will probably be loads of courses at your local FE college.

Foxglove77 Thu 08-Apr-21 12:24:11

Loobs yes I have claimed NI contributions for the last 2 years. The first year was declined as I drew down a small pension pot to help cover my salary.

Loobs Thu 08-Apr-21 11:49:23

Hopefully those of you who give up paid work to look after grandchildren are aware that you can claim NI payments for those years?? I looked after my dgc for 3 years and have just successfully claimed NI contributions for that time.

Foxglove77 Thu 08-Apr-21 11:28:40

Thank you all for the positive and good wishes smile

lilyH Thu 08-Apr-21 11:10:31

You could always start by doing Temping, sometimes this can even lead you into being offered employment, but also helps return your confidence inside an office environment. Best of luck x

maturefloosy Thu 08-Apr-21 11:06:41

I did exactly the same as you* Foxglove77 *- gave up my part time job to be a paid housekeeper ( more or less) for my DD, her husband who worked away a lot and her two children of school age. This lasted several years until she changed jobs and can now work from home. I enjoyed seeing so much of the DGC every day and loved being so close to them as they grew through their teens - I felt privileged to be a part of this again but I missed being part of something bigger and being mentally stimulated.
I am now fully retired, see the family often ( in normal times) and found a partner to share the rest of my life with - so feel I am a very lucky lady all round!! smile

Maude42 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:40:47

I’m quite a bit older than you ,66 but one thing I will say I’ve never had an issue getting a job. In fact I changed jobs last year and took on a second one as well, getting through 2 interviews.
Good luck and I’m sure you will find a nice position x

Franbern Wed 07-Apr-21 18:35:41

I stopped paid employment in 1969, when expectiving my first child. Due to carer responsibilities, and my own serious health problem did not start looking for paid work again until 2003, aged 61 years, Had run a home office on a totally voluntarily basis for a regional sports body for several years, so most of my skills were up to date.
Got a part-time job with training department in local NHS trust. I started there four months after my youngest child died, suddenly and tragically. I told them afternwards it was the first day since that dreadful day that I had actually smiled and not had any tears.
Stayed there for a further eight years, increasing hours and gaining promotion. Loved it and was and am so glad I did t that. It is never too late.

Kim19 Wed 07-Apr-21 14:58:06

I had a fourteen year gap and managed back without too much difficulty (couple of hiccups) and never looked back. Not sure about the current situation with Covid but do wish you the very best of luck.

Foxglove77 Wed 07-Apr-21 12:23:18

MOnica thank you, that's reassuring and I hope my return goes smoothly too. I've been out of it for 3 years now, so hopefully can catch up soon.

M0nica Wed 07-Apr-21 12:10:46

I went back to work after a 7 year break when my children were toddlers.

On the first day back, I felt as if I had never stopped. it was like pulling on a glove.

I took early retirement and at about your age I was offered a maternity cover job for 6 months, covering for my manager. by a charity where I was a volunteer. Again I slid intot he job without a problem.

The only problem you may have is catching up with technological change since you left. You may have been doing that anyway, but I think catch-up courses are available, often free through various government schemes.

Foxglove77 Wed 07-Apr-21 12:02:08

When my DD announced her surprise pregnancy, after discussing with my DH I decided to give up work and become full time childcare for her. We agreed I would never have this chance again, and as my daughter is a shift worker, it helped her too.

Now my DGD is off to school in September. I'm so pleased that she is starting this new phase in her life and can make friends and enjoy lessons.

Of course that means I can go back to work. My state pension doesn't start for another 9 years so the salary will be welcome.

I'm an office worker so may be able to work from home, so could still help out with school holidays etc.

I'm redoing my CV, but may even try something completely different.

Have any of you GNs been in this situation?
Is it hard to get back into the full time swing?