Gransnet forums

Chat

Any NOT had COVID injection?

(126 Posts)
Clio51 Thu 08-Apr-21 16:02:25

For any reason ?

I haven’t, I know I get flamed by some people

I just don’t think there as been enough research and testing , it was rushed far too quickly
Now things are coming out months later about how its affecting people.

AZ vaccine there’s so much on tv about it at the moment, we’re told to carry on having the injections yet a small few at the moment!! Are dying from it.

I will be having it when there’s more data about the safety of it and not be told to have by the government who cocked up at the very beginning by not closing the boarders down to incoming like Australia did right at the start.
The amount of money the government wasted we had the track & trace which was a shambles for one.

Ashcombe Fri 09-Apr-21 17:26:02

Biscuitmuncher

"Community spirit?" A lot of people have given up a whole year of their lives to protect others, how much more community spirit is that!

I think olddudders was being ironic with this comment. Apparently, the person to whom he was referring assumes we will all die from the vaccine thereby saving the ones who haven't been vaccinated.

You couldn't make it up!!

3nanny6 Fri 09-Apr-21 15:10:36

I do hope your DH told her he was unsure if you had been for the jab and that she should ring you back to confirm things with you herself. That reply was for Sawsage2

Sawsage2 Fri 09-Apr-21 14:50:28

I'm needle phobic but have had the AZ jab, waiting for 2nd one. My friend rang my DH (she's never rung him before) to ask if I'd had it so we could meet up again. I feel upset about her going behind my back, haven't contacted her and unsure what to do about it.

Sashabel Fri 09-Apr-21 14:27:20

On 3rd February this year the UK reported 19,202 new cases of Covid 19 with 1,322 deaths during the previous 24 hours.

Exactly 2 calendar months later, on 3rd April the numbers reported were 3,423 new cases with 10 deaths.

Enough said!!!

Biscuitmuncher Fri 09-Apr-21 14:15:18

"Community spirit?" A lot of people have given up a whole year of their lives to protect others, how much more community spirit is that!

Peasblossom Fri 09-Apr-21 13:58:54

Like they say, “You can’t choose your relatives ?”

olddudders Fri 09-Apr-21 13:56:53

Peasblossom

An anti-Covidvax relative in America has been informed by her Medical Insurance that they will not cover the costs of Covid treatment, long or short term, for those who have refused the vaccination.

She has changed her mind and will be vaccinated.

I wonder if it would change any minds here?

My word - your relative has some astonishing logic there! She is now having the vaccine to avoid medical costs if she catches Covid? Most of us are itching to be vaccinated so we don't get it at all! Perhaps she's still with Trump that it's just like flu, which it is for some people, no doubt. But with 126k dead in the UK, and 98k here in France (343 on Wednesday) I'm not anxious to become a statistic myself, so am delighted to have my jab next Monday.

I also love the glowing references to Australia. Remind me - where in the World was it that an entire cruise-ship, known to have Covid cases on board, was disembarked without anyone being tested? Might it have been Sydney?

Elsewhere on the web today I have read of people who do not intend to be vaccinated until 2023, on the basis that the rest of us are only fit to be guinea-pigs. Community spirit, eh?

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 13:56:25

?????? great news timetogo2016

Biscuitmuncher Fri 09-Apr-21 13:51:00

I've never said I wont get the vaccine, I'm just in no rush

Peasblossom Fri 09-Apr-21 13:29:16

An anti-Covidvax relative in America has been informed by her Medical Insurance that they will not cover the costs of Covid treatment, long or short term, for those who have refused the vaccination.

She has changed her mind and will be vaccinated.

I wonder if it would change any minds here?

timetogo2016 Fri 09-Apr-21 13:14:13

After a good long chat with my Gp this morning i am going to have the Covid vaccine.
He has put my mind at ease and i shall be talking and hopefully putting my friends minds at ease too.
Just thougth i would share this info with you Gransnetters.

Shinamae Fri 09-Apr-21 12:13:58

Elegran

If you bought a lottery ticket with a chance of one in a million of winning a fortune, would you immediately pack in your job and sign the contract on a mansion, a Rolls and a 40 foot luxury yacht - before the draw has been made? - while driving the wrong way along a motorway in your excitement at the wealth you are certain is yours.

Of course not. You know that it is extremely unlikely that you will be the lucky winner (well, you'd be one in a million, wouldn't you?) and very likely that you would die in a crash and cause other deaths too.

You are very unlikely to have a serious reaction to any of the CoVid vaccines, but if you don't have any of them, you are much more likely both to get it and to have it badly than if you were vaccinated, and much more likely to cause others to catch it and suffer.

??????????????

Aveline Fri 09-Apr-21 12:10:31

Well put Elegran

Elegran Fri 09-Apr-21 12:06:46

If you bought a lottery ticket with a chance of one in a million of winning a fortune, would you immediately pack in your job and sign the contract on a mansion, a Rolls and a 40 foot luxury yacht - before the draw has been made? - while driving the wrong way along a motorway in your excitement at the wealth you are certain is yours.

Of course not. You know that it is extremely unlikely that you will be the lucky winner (well, you'd be one in a million, wouldn't you?) and very likely that you would die in a crash and cause other deaths too.

You are very unlikely to have a serious reaction to any of the CoVid vaccines, but if you don't have any of them, you are much more likely both to get it and to have it badly than if you were vaccinated, and much more likely to cause others to catch it and suffer.

nanaK54 Fri 09-Apr-21 11:31:37

Clio51

Why don’t people on here let others have a view ! Wether right or wrong, we’re ALL entitled to our own view.
You are you to get on your high horses and pull people to bits because you think your view is correct
I don’t attack people for HAVING it, that’s entirely there own decision

I am doing everything else asked apart from vaccine at the moment !!!!!

Again, with respect, your reaction is slightly odd, I don't think anyone has pulled you to bits.
I, for one, am always happy to read others views
Anyway, take care, hope it all works out for you

CafeAuLait Fri 09-Apr-21 11:28:17

Alegrias1

Your hesitancy is understandable CafeAuLait. I hope you manage to get to a conclusion that works for you. flowers

Thank you for understanding. Right now it's a no from me but I reserve the right to change my mind as things unfold.

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 11:19:36

Your hesitancy is understandable CafeAuLait. I hope you manage to get to a conclusion that works for you. flowers

CafeAuLait Fri 09-Apr-21 11:14:44

Alegrias1

I think CafeAuLait, if people have underlying medical conditions or have had bad reactions to vaccines in the past then they are bound to have doubts about any vaccine, and that is understandable. That's where discussing it with a medic is sensible.

But if people are vaccine hesitant because they don't trust that the development was sound, or they have no concept of the actual size of the risk, or they don't like the government; well, I don't have much time for that, frankly.

The main issue I have is that no medic I have discussed it with can explain it. I'd feel a lot better if I understood what happened in my body. Knowing that, I would be in a better position to know my risk with any further vaccines and make an informed decision. Otherwise I really feel like I'm taking a chance on an unknown for me.

As I said above, I'm not eligible yet so it's not real thing for me to be concerned about at this moment. But I am leaning towards not getting it yet, even if eligible. Emphasis on yet.

Babs758 Fri 09-Apr-21 11:14:32

I’ve had my first dose of the AZ vaccine and will have the 2nd one mid May. Saw some friends for lunch in their garden last week for the first time in a year. We were careful but just so pleased to see each other. Felt like normality for the first time in ages. Conversely, another friend, male, fit and thin and in his late 40s, has had a series of mini strokes and the mri scan discovered clots in his brain. He is now considering whether to get the second AZ dose. Understandably he is concerned. It may not be connected but very worrying for him and his family.

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 11:08:23

I think CafeAuLait, if people have underlying medical conditions or have had bad reactions to vaccines in the past then they are bound to have doubts about any vaccine, and that is understandable. That's where discussing it with a medic is sensible.

But if people are vaccine hesitant because they don't trust that the development was sound, or they have no concept of the actual size of the risk, or they don't like the government; well, I don't have much time for that, frankly.

JenniferEccles Fri 09-Apr-21 11:03:57

The thing is Clio, your (and others who think like you) refusal to have the vaccine potentially impacts on everyone else.

Imagine if 50% or higher of the population refused the jab, what situation would we be in now?

Things are only going well here so far with a slow reopening of the economy because the vast majority of people are thankfully sensible enough to realise that a vaccination programme is the only way out of this.

Yes of course you are entitled to your opinion but it’s just that, an opinion. The rest of us who are extremely grateful for the hard work put in to develop the vaccines, have backed up our argument with statistical facts of the tiny risk compared with the huge benefits of a vaccinated population.

CafeAuLait Fri 09-Apr-21 11:02:48

I'll be honest, I'm very scared of the prospect of having it. Not that one in particular, any vaccine. About two years ago I had an adverse reaction to an unrelated vaccine and have received little medical help with this. It took me months to recover. I'm apprehensive about having any vaccine at all in the future in case worse happens.

Shinamae Fri 09-Apr-21 10:59:22

I had my first Astrazeneca vaccine on January 27 and my second last Tuesday, no hesitation at all in having it....

Alegrias1 Fri 09-Apr-21 10:53:17

You are of course entitled to your own view Clio51. Its just that hardly anybody agrees with you and your view is based on no facts whatsoever.

This from the BBC website this morning:

The Covid vaccine programme has prevented 10,400 deaths in the over 60s in England over the past four months, new analysis suggests.

From the first jab on 8 December last year up to the end of March, more than 15 million jabs have been given to adults in this age group, Public Health England (PHE) said.

According to its estimates, 9,100 deaths were prevented during that time in those aged 80 and over, 1,200 were avoided in those aged 70 to 79, and 100 lives were saved in those aged 60 to 69.

The figures were estimated using real-world data on how effective the vaccines are at preventing death and vaccine uptake.
PHE said there was now increasing evidence that vaccines helped to reduce transmission, therefore it was likely that an even higher number of deaths would have been avoided by the vaccine programme.

CafeAuLait Fri 09-Apr-21 10:51:58

Clio, I support your right to choose what you put in your body. I'm glad I get a choice whichever way I decide.