Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(82 Posts)
12Michael Fri 16-Apr-21 06:08:12

Good Morning Everyone,
Its fry but its grey here in Brackley this morning .
My usual Day , small shop, and then do some Fish & Chips in the oven , before settling down to watch cycling on tV .
Yesterdays , day out only downside was eating outside the cafe I use in Bicester with a wind chill ,and a irregular heartbeat not nice .
Take Care,
Mick

Taichinan Fri 16-Apr-21 09:26:34

Good morning all from yet another glorious (if frosty) morning on the Angus coast. Sunshine is such a lifter of spirits, isn't it. Poor Mick, cold winds and heart problems don't go together - maybe forgo the coffee until you can sit inside again if it's breezy.
I didn't get round to reading all yesterday's posts until just before bed last night so as usual I am bound to forget things that people have said. However. Cherry that is a horrible thing to have to bear, particularly as it makes you so I'll. I do hope something can be done about the situation.
Grandmajet I'm so sorry you are having to prepare yourself for such a big operation. You know you are in good hands, but you are still very brave. Sending ??.
And NanKate glad to hear your procedure produced good results. Onwards and upwards now.
Lovely photos of your day at the seafront Ash. I could just feel the warmth and hear the sounds in my mind!
I'm feeling quite smug this morning. I woke to no heating, and it's still noticeable by its absence on these frosty mornings, in spite of the sun. Anyway, (all by myself alone!) I sussed out the problem. I realised that the 'thingy' in the hall which sends a radio beam to the controls in the kitchen wasn't working. As I was having a little debate with myself as to whether I call the central heating manny or an electrician, it dawned on me that said 'thingy' wasn't wired in. A further rapid whirring of cerebral cogs produced "batteries!". The cover came off the 'thingy' quite easily and there they were - two little AA beauties just waiting to be changed. The kitchen drawer yielded two new ones and hey presto! We have a working central heating system again. Now what to do with myself for the rest of the day! It can only go downhill after that!!
Now I'm going to post this before I lose it. So please all have the best day you can ☀️???

BlueSapphire Fri 16-Apr-21 09:17:40

Welcome back Urmston. Hate this health anxiety malarkey.

BlueSapphire Fri 16-Apr-21 09:04:06

Good morning everyone from an overcast Northampton. I've just put some washing on, so hope it brightens up enough to dry it.

Will be having a walk round to my oldest friend here this morning, as it is her birthday today, and I have a bottle of lemon gin and a card to deliver. We met when I started teaching here in 1972; she was already a teacher at the same school, and we were young marrieds together. Where has the time gone?

Shall go back and read the whole thread now; hoping we can all find a bit of sunshine ? today.

GrannySomerset Fri 16-Apr-21 09:03:21

Good morning from a cold but beautifully sunny North Somerset. We have one of DH’s friends coming for coffee in the garden room with the doors open and he is as excited as a child on a birthday morning. We have been cut off from normal social intercourse for too long.

Lots of cheerful doings this morning and I hope everyone can enjoy their various plans. It does all feel a bit more promising.

Lovely chat with DGD1 yesterday. Once her A level exams are over she has found paid employment teaching music to small children which will certainly confirm whether her choice of university course is right. Found this for herself and is showing real initiative so that’s all positive. Oh to have the confidence of the young!

Gelisajams Fri 16-Apr-21 08:58:39

Good morning from a sunny Morecambe Bay though there is a touch of frost on the cars.
Good to see Urmston back and Cherry back yesterday. What an absolutely awful neighbour to have to endure. Now we need Gilly and Friday Girl.
Yesterday we got an unexpected call from SiL, they were staying on a local campsite so we had a good couple of hours chatting until it got too cold. I think they live somewhere close to you Urmston if your user name and description of the Pennines in the distance is anything to go by. Today DS1 and family are coming. I’ve been busy putting the finishing layers to a chocolate and orange trifle and DH has gone in search of gluten free bread. I have put a ‘normal’ loaf in the bread maker. Hopefully it will be warm enough in the garden. It’s more or less south facing and quite sheltered.
Take care everyone and stay safe ???

madeleine45 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:58:16

good morning everyone,
first time trying this group. Today very cold outside with frost and ice on windscreen but oh what a lovely sunny morning now here in north yorkshire. I am in the middle of moving so things are rather chaotic here, dont want to leave my beloved garden but need to for health reasons. So just wanted to pass on something re gardening. I have visited NGS the national garden scheme or yellow book as we all know it , for over 30 years. The book comes out annually and you do not have to join anything. The gardens are open usually on a sunday and the book is set out county by county. Tip - always look at counties either side of the one you are visitin as sometimes a garden in next county is nearer than another garden in your county. So it is a great feel good factor. All the money raised goes firstly to the gardeners charity, sometimes teas and stuff are sold for the local church or a different charity. The gardens are many and varied and you will get lots of ideas you might use in your own garden and of course you want to support the charity. The fact that you have always wondered what was behind that wall is nothing to do with it!!|But then the great thing is if it shows a little flower icon it means there are plants for sale!!!! They are often plants from the garden that you can see growing in front of you, sometimes the local gardening club will grow plants for sale. Often they will have one of the encyclopieda or pictures to show you what it looks like flowering. If you live in the locality you will be sure that it will like your soil and usually there is someone very knowledgeable on the plant stall. So you get good choice, help and chats with other gardeners and they are usually better and cheaper than a garden centre and will have been grown with love and care. My husband used to say that the yellow book was the most expensive book going because there was always another garden to visit and of course plants to buy. Oh another warning , if it shows a tea cup icon it means they have lovely home made cakes and teas and coffees so not exactly a slimming trip but oh what a delight sitting in a lovely garden enjoying a tea with like minded people and thinking where you might put the plants you have just bought and it all goes to charity. I am a galanthophile that is snowdrops to you and have more than 50 different kinds of snowdrops in my garden so again you will see plants here that you would never find in the garden centre. I always keep my yellow book in the car and when travelling around look to see if there is agarden open nearby. So join in and you will be able to feel virtuous as well as having a great time.

Grandmabatty Fri 16-Apr-21 08:49:45

Good morning all from Polmont where yet again we have blue skies. It's not often I can say that! Last year we had glorious weather too in the first lock down. It is cold but should warm up nicely.
It is great to see Urmstongran posting again. I missed you. Kalu I long to go to St Andrews. To walk into the town past the harbour and East Sands and to stroll along the West Sands. There used to be a wonderful sewing and knitting shop in town but it might have gone like so many. Brooke Nairn beach is also wonderful! We used to go often when we visited friends who stayed in Gollanfield. Grannygravy ? for your son. And fingers crossed too. Ashcombe your regular photos are so cheering and give a glimpse of your part of the world. Mick that must have been quite worrying for you. Definitely a rest day ahead for you. Grandmattie it sounds like you had a lovely day. Marydoll it's a shame the fish van doesn't come to your street. It would avoid subterfuge!
Today will be a rerun of yesterday except I'm not going to a garden centre. I really want to, having been to the local one yesterday and got the bug. However I'll wait til the schools go back on Monday and nip there next week for more supplies. I think I shall potter about today and hopefully sit out in the summer house in the afternoon.
Whatever you plan to do, I hope today is a good one.

Jaxjacky Fri 16-Apr-21 08:47:06

Good to see you back Urms

Greyduster Fri 16-Apr-21 08:40:31

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from a sunny South Yorkshire. It feels a tad warmer though there was a frost last night. I potted up thirty four dahlia seedlings yesterday into individual pots and then had to find room in the conservatory for them, along with other seeds I am growing. DH is grumbling about what the windowsills will look like when I have finished using the conservatory as a greenhouse! I suggested he buy me a greenhouse then. The only problem now is where I am going to put said plants when they are ready to go in the garden! Things that seem like a good idea at the time......
Today I have to do an antibody test as part of a Biobank trial, and that will be followed by a mountain of ironing. Maybe a walk later.
Susan I loved your photo - we passed a field with a couple of Shetland ponies on a walk recently and they came to the fence, but DH had already given his apple to a goat down the lane!
Have the best day you can folks.

Anniebach Fri 16-Apr-21 08:39:09

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gingster Fri 16-Apr-21 08:38:34

Lovely to see you back Urms. I’ve missed your posts. I can’t imagine you having anxiety , as you are always so upbeat and seem to be enjoying life. You will always find comfort here. ?

Nannytopsy Fri 16-Apr-21 08:37:55

And welcome back Urms !

Nannytopsy Fri 16-Apr-21 08:37:02

Good morning Mick - I hope you feel a bit better today.
And Good morning to the rest of the gang. Marydoll your day sounds exciting ?. Lots of people making the most of the weather!
Gingster we enjoyed Hyde Hall and even had lunch out - baguettes and coffee from their cafe, eaten outside. It felt such a treat, despite the queue.
Today is glorious in Suffolk - the frost and mist are just lifting.
I’m another one who jumped too soon with planting seeds and there’s been some patchy germination. There are some which need pricking out now though - that’s work for next week.
So looking forward to seeing DD and SIL this weekend - I shall have a chance to pass on some plants.
I hope the day is kind to everyone. Good luck to your son GG .

NannyJan53 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:34:54

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black Country.

Had a lovely walk with DD and family yesterday around their village. We walked 4 1/2 miles. Sat on a bench for a while in a field with some stunning views.

No plans today, hopefully go somewhere slightly further afield for a walk.

Lovely to see you back Urms you were missed flowers

Wishing you all the best day possible

Alygran Fri 16-Apr-21 08:26:49

Good morning from North Yorkshire. Frosty and sunny again.
Had a lovely walk with a friend yesterday. So nice to have someone to talk to.
Today’s job is power washing the paths and patio. The hard part is moving the pots! This afternoon I am getting my hair cut ?‍♀️
Lovely to see you Urms. You were missed.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:25:52

What an awful situation Cherry I hope you recover soon.

Morning Urms

Sar53 well done you, I am terrified in the dentist chair, I think you were very brave.

Grandmajean Fri 16-Apr-21 08:24:23

Good morning from Cheshire. Second vaccination today ! Not looking forward to possible side effects ( felt really nauseous after first one ) but they are trivial compared to the alternative.
Will read posts later. Have the best day you can.

Stilllearning Fri 16-Apr-21 08:23:48

Another good morning from S Lanarkshire, lovely evocative picture Susan56, baubles described it perfectly.

I’ll use my new freedom today to meet a good friend I haven’t seen for months and we will make a garden visit together to our friend whose son died so suddenly. At last it feels like a sad but normal activity, and the milder weather is a great help, it’s been so cold that standing outside for a chat, for any length of time, has been impossible.

Great too that the children are having sunshine for the last few days of the school holidays, definitely onward and upwards!

My sister says that she keeps having to remember whether Easter has been, or is still to come and I know exactly what she means, the eternal sameness just now is quite disturbing.

Wishing everyone the best day possible ??

Gingster Fri 16-Apr-21 08:22:07

Good morning all from a bright but still very chilly Suffolk Coast. ?

Yesterday we did a bit more wood staining on the summerhouse . Oh my goodness it is a big job! It will need a second coat too ?. Our arms and backs are aching so might give it a miss today. No rush! ?.

Nice to see Torquay Ash. DH and I met there in 1966 at a Holiday Camp . I was with my Aunt and her family and DH was there with his parents and a friend. We were 16. I think the name of the camp was Barton Hall. Golden wedding in July.

All best wishes for your sons op GG. ?

Lovely pic of your GD Susan . Idyllic!

Well done Sar with your dental visit. You are very brave! ?.

Nannytopsy how did your day go at Hyde Hall.

I’m glad you had a lovely day GranMattie* ?.

My book club meet up is due tomorrow. We are supposed to gather on the beach at 6.15. I’m waiting to see if it will be cancelled as it’s bitterly cold . I do hope it will be although sad not to see everyone AGAIN, ! ????.

Well I hope everyone has a good day, one way or another. ????

dragonfly46 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:18:45

Lovely pics Ashcombe looks almost tropical.

Good to see you back Urmston.

Ellianne Fri 16-Apr-21 08:15:09

Good morning everyone.
Today is sunny and blue skies on the Jurassic coast.
Yesterday the seafront was busy, the lifeboat was out practising on the water so everyone was treated to a little display. I don't think you will see much from my photo but here it is.

brook2704 Fri 16-Apr-21 08:13:58

Oooh Kalu how lovely! I really want to go to St Andrews, enjoy your trip tomorrow and let us know how it goes .. I’ve never been there and we’ve definitely got it on our list

hollysteers Fri 16-Apr-21 08:12:51

Good morning Mick and all from Sunnyside northwest Lancashire coast.
Yes, it was chilly even with the sun Mick and I’m sorry to hear about your irregular heartbeat. Hope that can be sorted.
I really enjoyed my city day after so many months in Suet on Sea. Enjoyed poking around nice independent bookshop, although I need more books like a hole in the head and bought
A lovely scarf with a Klimt design. Not needed of course, but nice to have, plus geegaws like earrings and a necklace, but not expensive.
Sat in the sun before taking the train and fell into conversation with a very elderly man who was fed up with life. He had had a couple of strokes and was so frustrated, I really felt for him. Everything about the present day, internet, banks etc., irritated him.
He had read that barley was good for his condition, but could not find it.
Today, not so exciting, taking stuff to the charity shop.
Sorry to hear of your problems Cherry, hope things calm down and belated birthday greetings to Gmattie.
Have a nice sunny day, will read through later.

Pittcity Fri 16-Apr-21 08:11:51

Good morning from cold, sunny Colchester. A little bit of rain yesterday but a dry weekend forecast. I must find my watering can.
Another quiet day of bits and bobs. A bit of ironing and weekend shopping perhaps.
Much love x

Kalu Fri 16-Apr-21 08:09:13

Can’t turn my back on you for a minute Marydoll! Now I find out you are trying to inveigle a bloke named Gordon. Behave yourself. ?.....Auchterarder is the nearest town?