Gransnet forums

Chat

Taking shoes off before you come inside your house

(248 Posts)
nanna8 Sat 17-Apr-21 09:30:30

One of my sons in law insists that everyone removes their shoes before entering his house. I think it is quite unfriendly, personally but he is very insistent. We have never done this, even when we used to have a light coloured carpet in the hallway. It is not a religious thing or anything like that and he has polished wooden floors so it can be quite cold underfoot.
Just wondering if others do the same. This sil is from the UK originally, the others are all Aussies so maybe it is a cultural thing these days ?

jennilin Sun 18-Apr-21 17:33:50

Not sure but isn't it true that we live in such a clean obsessed age that we are not able to build up a natural resistance to bugs and bacteria ? As an ex teacher exposed to snot unwashed hands after toilet and all the rest I was never ill .

DiscoDancer1975 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:38:22

Always take shoes off. I’ve never known a time when I’ve had to ask, or be asked. It’s just good manners, and common sense.

Grandma70s Sun 18-Apr-21 17:43:04

I’m glad I don’t know anyone who does this. I don’t think I’d feel welcome or happy in a house where the state of the carpets was so important.

LovelyLady Sun 18-Apr-21 17:54:59

Any decent home has a door mat to wipe our shoes. If I was asked to remove my shoes I’d not be pleased and would certainly not return. It’s rude and unnecessary. We are well trained in wiping our shoes - use the door mat. It’s all about training in childhood - wipe your feet before entering. Keep your shoes on - remember verrucas are spread by not wearing shoes.

Caro57 Sun 18-Apr-21 17:57:05

We have house shoes that we put on when we come in. Daughter has a ‘shoe off’ house and I have friends who have a shoe off house and offer a selection of slippers for guests to wear.

LovelyLady Sun 18-Apr-21 18:05:54

Caro57, I’m sorry to say this is unhygienic. Walking in a house without wearing your own shoes or shoeless is totally unacceptable. Buy these homeowners a doormat and a book called ‘How to make friends and influence people’

NanaPlenty Sun 18-Apr-21 18:07:29

We always take our shoes off. Polite guests usually ask if we would like them to take theirs off - generally I would tell them not to worry but actually I don’t think outdoor shoes should be worn indoors. Not so bad on a hard floor that can be mopped but all those germs and dirt in your carpet! Especially if you have any crawling babies.

Polly4t42 Sun 18-Apr-21 18:07:50

We do and keep slippers for our son and family when they visit and they do the same at their house. My brothers and family also do so. It’s how we were brought up and seems perfectly normal to us.

Bossyrossy Sun 18-Apr-21 18:19:31

Those blue plastic slip over things really don’t go with my outfit.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 18-Apr-21 18:35:53

Always, and in other people’s houses too.
I like people to take theirs off in mine too.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 18-Apr-21 18:45:57

LovelyLady

Any decent home has a door mat to wipe our shoes. If I was asked to remove my shoes I’d not be pleased and would certainly not return. It’s rude and unnecessary. We are well trained in wiping our shoes - use the door mat. It’s all about training in childhood - wipe your feet before entering. Keep your shoes on - remember verrucas are spread by not wearing shoes.

We’re not talking about being barefoot indoors, I provide washable slippers anyway for those who want them.
Speaking of doormats, try this. Take your “clean” shoes and rub the soles with a white cloth, then see how clean they are.

dahlia Sun 18-Apr-21 18:56:59

We always remove our shoes at home or when visiting other homes. As a result, our grown children do the same, as do their children. We have wooden floors and do provide slippers for our guests. However, we never ask visitors to remove their shoes; we automatically take off shoes when visiting other homes, no-one objects. I think this stems from many holidays with a Swedish family where everywhere we went, we were expected to take off our outdoor shoes. It seems like a good idea!

Barmeyoldbat Sun 18-Apr-21 18:59:15

We always walk shoeless in our house, friends usually do the same and even the two policemen who arrived to take a statement saw our small no shoes sign and took their shoes off. Couldn't believe it but was pleased.

Speldnan Sun 18-Apr-21 19:16:21

Always take them off and most visitors do too though they’re mostly family and they know the score and bring a change of shoes/slippers. Do the same when visiting my daughter’s house too. Pavements etc are filthy even if not muddy ( dog wee etc and who knows what else) why would you want that in your house?

EmilyHarburn Sun 18-Apr-21 19:59:13

We take our shoes off and have a slipper rack by the front door with extra ones for guests. Family and friends bring their own..

shirleyhick Sun 18-Apr-21 21:10:31

We always take our shoes off but I would not expect guests to

twiglet77 Sun 18-Apr-21 22:55:43

I take my shoes or boots off in the hall of my own house but wouldn't dream of expecting visitors to, though if it was someone wearing filthy boots I'd be disappointed if they didn't at least offer to remove theirs. My little grandson is four and always kicks his shoes off as soon as he is indoors at my house or his home, and places them neatly in the hall.

AlisonKF Sun 18-Apr-21 23:25:56

I don't have an entrance hall as my front door opens directly from the street into my living space. My cottage is medieval but many Victorian terraced houses have the same arrangement. I have a doormat sunk into a space at the threshold. Most visitors make an effort to wipe their fee on this. I have to wear a brace on my badly arthritic ankle and removing my shoes is difficult as they are laced up. On my first visit to son and daughter in law to view first baby, I was asked if I had any slippers as they had converted the entire bottom floor of their maisonette to polished wood and the baby wss crawling. A robot cleaner cleaned the floor at night. I had a spare pair of socks with me and used these as slippers, but slippers was the right word as I was constantly on the verge of falling over while I was there (I am 83). Next visit I will wear elasticated plastic over coverings as used in hospitals, if I can obtain them. To go up and downstairs with stick, I really need the brace and the leather shoes. So.....think about the old and disabled when asking guests to take thir shoes off. I had the same problem when visiting a Hindu temple with a party of people, though all floors were carpeted.

Gannygangan Sun 18-Apr-21 23:38:01

I would hope that those who insist on no shoes allow very frail, elderly relatives/visitors to keep their shoes on.

I cannot imagine asking my ageing parents to take their shoes off.

Also what about pet cats and dogs? Do the remove your shoe people not have pets?mIf so, what do they do? Surely you can't be washing paws every time your dog or cat goes in and out of the garden

Roseanne Sun 18-Apr-21 23:38:21

I always take my shoes off inside my own front door. Would never ask visitors to do so but I understand the problem if you have wooden floors.

Severnside Mon 19-Apr-21 00:00:34

I always remove my shoes when going in anyones’s house. We lived in the middle east where shoes are considered to be. dirty. It’s regarded as very rude for men to cross their one leg over the other revealing the soles of their shoes to the people opposite. When someone wants to show disgust at the behaviour of political tyrants, it’s common to see a crowd pelting them with shoes.

HillyN Mon 19-Apr-21 00:55:34

We always change into slippers in the hallway when we come in and keep a pair of shoes by the back door to slip on when we go up the garden. Our family and friends all kick their shoes off when they come in and we do the same at their homes, but I would never ask a visitor to remove their shoes if they didn't. I kept a pair of slipper socks with non-slip soles in my handbag when visiting.
I've never thought about why we do it- it just seems normal to us as everyone we know does it. We keep a long handled shoehorn (£1 from IKEA) by the shoe rack to make changing shoes simpler, and gave our ACs one each too!

Shropshirelass Mon 19-Apr-21 07:57:23

Yes and most of our visitors offer to especially if it is wet weather. When my daughter was a teenager she wore Doc Martin boots, as did all of her friends, some were size 11! When they all came round to us they left their boots in my utility room all neatly lined up.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 19-Apr-21 08:11:13

Yes we do. For one thing it is more comfortable in slippers. We also take slippers when visiting family and friends.

lemsip Mon 19-Apr-21 08:22:51

depends on the colour of the carpet in the house I am entering.