Gransnet forums

Chat

No More Nails.

(169 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:15:39

I think I have almost decided not to continue having gel nails. I have not missed the 'tyranny' of 3 week apart appointments plus the rising cost c£40 during the lockdown.

Anyone else had a change of heart about something they regularly did pre-pandemic?

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 12:32:53

Rosalyn69

I’m back having manicures and pedicures and hair cut and coloured. Not doing so would make me think I was “letting myself go”. I like to look nice and well cared for.

I look nice and well-cared for too. Looking nice and well-cared for does not have to involve spending money on manicures, pedicures, hair-colouring, etc. I think it's sad when people think that not spending money on those things is "letting yourself go". It isn't. Neat, clean and with your own style has always been enough to look nice and well-cared for.

If people choose to spend money on the above things, that's fine, but don't imply that people who don't do the same are somehow letting themselves go. That's offensive.

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 12:34:24

Do you have to jump down everyone’s throats, Baggs? You just seem defensive.

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 12:35:15

I thought it was about glue at first. My gel is painted in and dried under a lamp between coats. Thanks for the info about sensationail FC.

Allegretto Sun 18-Apr-21 12:39:43

I have noticed an amazing change to my nails, which I can only put down to daily Vitamin D. They are much stronger than before, with no more flakiness.

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 12:44:39

I am defensive when people make out that make-up, fancy nails, etc, etc are the only way not to let yourself go. I'm not ashamed to defend people's right to just be neat, tidy and perfectly presentable without all that.

The pressure on women and girls to look more than perfect all the time is ridiculous and harmful.

Defensive? You bet.

mumstheword86 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:45:07

gel nails ruined me for years and got fungal nail infection aswell Had to go to a Natural health practice to get rid of it properly My doctor was amazed and wanted to know the name of the place i went to as all his efforts had not worked
Bee proplois cream is now my every day cream on my nails and they are great Look on line for it must be best you can buy though Good Luck on getting your nails back and healthy Bee Health always Natural medicine is the way forward Good enough for the Royal Family good enough for me !!!

EllanVannin Sun 18-Apr-21 13:41:38

I too thought it was about knocking nails in something or at best, using screws instead----no more nails grin

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 13:44:30

I had fabulous press on nails at the start of the week, but they were very cheap and didn’t last. I can’t wait until my nail bar is open again! I feel like a hair cut, getting my brows done and something discreet but pretty for my nails.

JaneJudge Sun 18-Apr-21 13:50:39

I understand where Baggs is coming from tbh. I think a lot of the beauty industry is aimed at making us feel insecure about ourselves. I remember I was offered a swanky facial thing that involved water and electrons or something, all the stars do it etc, it's better than botox and they let me have a session for a very cut price, presumably so they could train the staff. Of course I went a long grin but the whole before and after the session was aimed at making me feel bad about my skin so I would book another and buy other products. I've also been to 'other' appointments where I have been made to feel insecure about something appearance wise, like having grey hairs. I do have a few but I have realised during lockdown/covid/the last 18 months I am actually not that grey at all and am actually quite a nice natural brown.

I thought it was just me but one of the most confident people I know said she was approached ina shopping centre wrt buying some face cream and the woman said to her, are you not bothered about all those lines on your face?

I doubt anyone would market products towards men over 45 like that.

I don't think it matters if you like having your nails done, or hair or anything else really, it's the implication we need to have a facial, use expensive cream, have a tan that I feel is unpalatable. We do not need to, we can look however we want to.

Cat4 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:53:12

I also thought this chat was about DIY.

lemsip Sun 18-Apr-21 14:38:29

at the start of covid and the frequent washing of hands the advice was to keep nails short and use nail brush when washing hands. That is what I have done.

Casdon Sun 18-Apr-21 15:06:31

I’ve done the same Lemsip, but I have to be honest, my nails have really gone downhill in the last year. I think it must be the hand sanitiser, coupled with more time doing DIY during lockdowns. I bought some Sally Hansen nail conditioner and hardener yesterday, a new start.

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 15:10:06

M0nica

I thought this thread was going to be about the DIY product with the same name!grin

Me too!!
grin

I wondered how well it worked

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 15:11:44

Callistemon DH, a retired builder, really rates it

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 15:13:29

Defensive? You bet.
Baggs
? grin

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 15:13:34

I feel like a right polymath on this thread
I'm an expert on DIY gel nails and actual DIY
Living the dream! ?

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 15:13:56

FannyCornforth

Callistemon DH, a retired builder, really rates it

Thanks FannyC

Chestnut Sun 18-Apr-21 15:41:02

From experience I've found that nails grow best when left alone. The more you mess with them the worse they will be. For years I used nail varnish, and my nails kept flaking and breaking. Now they look great with nothing on them, and I just have to cut and file them every few weeks because they never break. I think the best treatment is a healthy diet (and maybe vitamins/minerals) and a nice moisturising cream. Protection from chemicals and cleaning products as well of course.

shysal Sun 18-Apr-21 15:50:16

I always keep my nails very short. How does anyone with gel ones do any of the usual household and gardening chores with them? Perhaps they have a husband to do the dirty work! smile

dragonfly46 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:54:18

I was hoping this was about glue as I want to know if it works!

shysal Sun 18-Apr-21 15:55:22

Yes it does Dragonfly46!

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Apr-21 15:56:43

shysal

I always keep my nails very short. How does anyone with gel ones do any of the usual household and gardening chores with them? Perhaps they have a husband to do the dirty work! smile

Having gel nail varnish doesn’t necessarily mean long nails. I keep mine short, just means I do not have to think about my nails between manicures.

They do not stop me doing anything round the house or in the garden I even muck-out stables and poo pick fields.

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 15:59:39

dragonfly46

I was hoping this was about glue as I want to know if it works!

I've just had to explain this thread to retired builder DH?
He maintains that yes, it is indeed good stuff

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Apr-21 16:06:33

I’m not convinced that normal varnish damages nails. Mine have always been very strong, no breaking or flaking at all, and until last March they nearly always had a colour on them. I do have a good diet but annoyingly, that hasn’t helped with my dreadful (fine, thin) hair.

Savvy Sun 18-Apr-21 16:10:10

Wow, just realised how much I'd 'let myself go'!' I don't use hairdressers, never paint my nails, don't shave my legs or underarms, never wear make up and the only cream I use is in my coffee.

Do I feel like 'I've let myself go?' Hell no, I feel like a natural woman.

If you want to do all those things fine, but they don't first into my world.