Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(78 Posts)
12Michael Wed 21-Apr-21 06:07:19

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dry and slightly grey sky start here in Brackley this ,morning.
Today a quiet day with plenty of cycling on after a small shop locally .
Yesterdays downside of having to eat outside at pubs or cafes is vermin from pigeons , who tend to hang around areas where food is served , they could be virus carrier's.
Take Care ,
Mick

Dogsmakemesmile Wed 21-Apr-21 10:37:28

Good morning everyone. Apologies for not posting every day. Lovely to hear of others' lives and exploits. Wishing you all a good a day as possible. Sunny here.

Marydoll Wed 21-Apr-21 10:27:22

Auntieflo, You have been busy!
I'm flabbergasted (it's not often I'm speechless wink ) DH is out at the moment planting the purchases.

I can manage the repotting of DD's strawberry and chilli plants, if I sit down to do it.

I've also phoned the surgery for some industrial strength pain killing gel, that should help!

Auntieflo Wed 21-Apr-21 10:21:51

Good morning Mick, Annie and all. When I was first awake, there was beautiful sunshine, now it has gone a bit dull.
Still so dry, and I don't water the garden as often as I should.
I felt very virtuous yesterday as I cleaned my oven and it is sparkling. Also had a Face Time with GD1 and GGS, from their holiday beach. Later DD phoned and I tried to tell her to be careful about going back to work, for a couple of hours this afternoon. She really hurt her back last week, and I am worried that she is trying to do things too quickly. But, she is her mother's daughter! Then, DS2 phoned for another long chat.
So, lovely day all in all.
Nice to hear from Sheep and Cattle, that Bogdon is now doing well, and her little lambs are thriving with all her care.
Hoping Cherry, has managed to get a sleep.
GrannySomerset, ?that you enjoy your long and peaceful shower .
Who is going to plant all your new purchases Marydoll? There is no hope for you ?
Yesterday afternoon, I watched the programme about the Life of Monks, that was mentioned on here a couple of days ago.
It was peaceful, sad and happy all at the same time. Thank you Dragonfly.
Have a good day one and all.

EllanVannin Wed 21-Apr-21 10:09:35

Good Morning All x.
A change in the weather---how dare it ! Pretty overcast but no rain. Washing dried yesterday but keeping an eye on the neighbour's washing which she left out, some on hangers which could become misplaced in the breeze that's whipped up.

Some shredding to do so I'll have to watch that I don't burn this shredder out, so much at a time is key and not all at once.

You've had a tough time of it with one thing and another Sheepandcattle all on top of your usual work so it's no wonder it all came to a head. You've done so well with those sick animals which in itself is draining. I pray for rain just for your area to make that grass grow.

I see Iris continues to be her brave self, bless her she's doing so well. What a difference these last few months have made.

Enjoy your Zoom Ashcombe to that lovely 100 year old----my word it really is a good age when you think about it, aww.
And yes, the Queen is only 5 years away from a century. I wonder if she'll send herself a card then ? grin

I hope everyone's appointments go well with not too much pain/ discomfort at the dentists. Perish the thought.

Thinking of Harrigran today and hoping things go alright.

Hope Bellasnanna's alright too. A few absent friends.flowers

Take care and stay safe everyone and enjoy the day.xx

Nannytopsy Wed 21-Apr-21 09:32:41

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s lightly grey in Suffolk (IYSWIM) and the sun keeps breaking through.
We too need lots of rain - I am already losing plants. Today is a garden day if we have more get up and go than yesterday. Is inertia a side effect of the vaccine?
Glad you enjoyed your day out yesterday Marydoll - it’s such a joy to find a good nursery.
Go Bogdon! Is he being allowed near the ladies now?
Good luck for all the dental appointments ( yes Kitty I know there are some nice dentists?) and medical consultations. I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Stilllearning Wed 21-Apr-21 09:13:35

Urmstongran, does your lovely maple need a lot of sun?

Stilllearning Wed 21-Apr-21 09:11:40

Morning from S Lanarkshire, sunny but cold, 4 degrees Alexa tells me.
For any LoD fans out there who has an Alexa, ask her who H is!

I am smiling at the thought of Popeye sitting on your lap Sheep, lovely image.

There’s a very touching thing going on just two doors along from me. Very sadly the husband, in his late forties, died from Covid about 6 months ago. His friends have got together and are entirely landscaping both the front and back garden so it will be easily managed by his wife. It’s been a huge amount of work, a lovely tribute to real friendship I think.

I have a phone consultation with my cardiologist later this morning, it’s good to know I’m not forgotten but I’m a bit apprehensive about it. I’ve to take my BP shortly and I’ll bet it’s through the roof!
Wishing everyone the best day possible and thinking of those with particular challenges ??

Mapleleaf Wed 21-Apr-21 09:06:00

Good morning all,

No news to share but wanted to just pop in and say "hello".

Marydoll Wed 21-Apr-21 09:04:52

Meant to mention Cherry, hope you had a more peaceful night.

Views across to Arran.

Grandmabatty Wed 21-Apr-21 09:03:49

Good morning all from Polmont. It is sunny again after clouds yesterday. However there was very little rain so I will have to water the garden. I'm not long awake after a really bad night's sleep. There is no rhyme or reason to it so I'll just hope for a better one tonight.
It's a usual Wednesday for me. I'll visit mum, then a friend then a WhatsApp chat this afternoon. Lemon sole for tea. Have a good day all.

GrannySomerset Wed 21-Apr-21 08:58:55

Today’s problem is not DH related but the fact that the hose fixing is broken and I need it NOW. Not sure what to do but will cogitate though it may have to wait until the gardening help comes onFriday. Meanwhile it is back to lugging watering cans if my sweet peas are to survive.

Good to hear fromsheep and to have such good news of Iris, whose entire family deserves a medal. Do hope there is a solution to Cherry’s problems which would challenge the fittest of us.

DH wants to listen to the R4 programme at 9.00, one of a series on people overcoming adversity, so I shall have a leisurely shower for once. Tea and pills have been delivered so I have an hour entirely to myself - unless of course he suddenly gets the urge to do something quite different. You can never tell.

Susan56 Wed 21-Apr-21 08:58:28

Thank you for the comments re the awning.The problem is he thinks the bolts aren’t strong enough to hold the awning up long term.He is pretty good at all manner of DIY and quite knowledgeable.He won’t let me sell or give the awning to anyone as he says if he isn’t happy to use it on our house he couldn’t in all conscience give it to anyone else and even though he says it is probably 99.9% safe he has doubts.
I have decided to write to the company we bought it from stating his concerns in the hope we can return it.

harrigran Wed 21-Apr-21 08:55:18

Good morning from a sunny NE.
Grocery delivery this morning .
DH's hospital appointment this afternoon.
Busy day for me.

Marydoll Wed 21-Apr-21 08:53:54

Good morning all from a sunny Glasgow.........but for how long? grin. Probably until I decide to go out to the garden! wink It will be a gentle day, since struggling a wee bit.

I'm so pleased to hear Iris is being well looked after, it can't be easy for her.
Sheepandcattle, farming is a hard life at the best of times, but life at the moment is so difficult, it's no wonder you have been feeling low.
As for an awning, I have been nagging asking DH for years about getting one. Having read your experience, Susan, I am being forced to admit defeat. grin

Gwen, you mentioned occupational therapy to make my life easier. Referred by my RA consultant, I was attending OT and physio right up until I began shielding at the beginning of March.
There really isn't any more that can be done, especially as all my foreseeable hospital appointments have to be telephone ones to protect me. To quote one of my consultants, There is no fix!

Much to my surprise, there were no disasters yesterday, just a lovely, but exhausting day out.
Unfortunately, the garden centre was very disappointing. There were barely any plants and those they had were of poor quality and very expensive. The furniture section had gone and it was busy with people who weren't distancing.
I did get an incinerator bin and a few fruit bushes, one being a jostaberry bush, a cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry. I had never heard of it.

However, on the way to Saltcoats, I spotted the garden centre, with views across to the Isleeof Arran, which I had previously mentioned to a dismissive DH
What a result!!! It wasn't large, but was overflowing with healthy, well maintained and resonably priced plants. I thought I had died and gone to heaven and spent an arm and a leg. However, as we won't be able to go abroad again, due to my failing health, DH was very compliant and didn't complain!!!. wink]

I also bought a statue of a Greek lady, (partially clothed) which will annoy Dollie, who is shocked at the lady with bare boobies already living in our garden. The last time Dollie was here, she asked me for a t shirt to cover the statue up. blush. To make matters worse, the new lady is carrying a baby, who is nude. ?

A visit to the bakers, to my favourite junk shop, selling all sorts of random items, I don't need and eating chips at the harbour completed a lovely, albeit exhausting day.
It was spoled a bit by a gentleman, who came right up to me in the baker's, without a mask, sans lanyard and continually coughed on the back of my neck! ? I could feel the panic rising. What is it with these selfish people? A cougha nd no mask!!!
I stood looking at the sea and thought about how content I felt at that moment, given all that has happened recently. Three years ago I was enjoying the sunshine in Berlin. The photos have just appeared on my phone. Happy days!

DH has his second jab today, so I shall go with him to give my car a run.
Also on the cards, at last I have someone taking a look at my jammed outside conservatory door. The ebay queen is having a permanent roof put on hers and I managed to nab the installers yesterday. It is so difficult to get tradespeople just now.

Sending you all my best wishes for a pleasant day.
I cannot get my photos to post, so will post separately.

Anniebach Wed 21-Apr-21 08:45:14

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

BlueSapphire Wed 21-Apr-21 08:45:13

Good morning everyone from a grey Northampton.

Thank you for all the birthday wishes yesterday. Was hoping to spend the afternoon reading in the garden but there was a chill wind so sat in the summerhouse instead. Managed to finish my Michelle Obama autobiography, and can now lend it to DD.

DS and the two DGDs came down yesterday evening bearing gifts and we spent a pleasant time in the garden chatting. Was good to hear all the DGDs' news. I have missed them so much.

Tidying up to do this morning, finish the Sainsbury's order, and water the garden and hope that my poorly hydrangea perks up in its new home.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

Grandmafrench Wed 21-Apr-21 08:42:57

We’ll do the music and the lyrics.....he just needs to do diggin tell him! ?‍♀️

LauraNorder Wed 21-Apr-21 08:36:01

Enjoy your lunch Ginny, hope the sun comes out. Great photos Alygran.
Grandmafrench, I was singing ‘thank you for the sunshine’ yesterday after reading your post when Orlin pointed out its ‘thank you for the music’, I told him ? ‘I ask in all honesty, what would life be, without the sun, so I say thank you for the sunshine, for sharing it with me’ and all Gramingoes. ?

Grandmajean Wed 21-Apr-21 08:31:09

Good morning from Cheshire. A bit dull but the sun may come out later. Had a Zoom meeting with my son last night as my email wasn't letting me send posts. He took charge of my computer from his own - how clever is that ! I just had to listen to instructions and do as I was told. Seems to be fixed.
Wishing a peaceful day to all. Will enjoy reading mails later.

Beauregard Wed 21-Apr-21 08:26:06

Good morning from Derbyshire where it's mild and cloudy.

I'm pleased to hear Iris is making good progress. It's good to see Sheepandcattle back and I'm glad it's good news about Bogdon, Popeye and little Olive.

I hope Cherry had a better night and something can be done to help her situation.

Today I will sow more seeds and plant my last row of second early potatoes. We had some rainclouds pass over us yesterday afternoon but not a drop fell on us, so it's watering again today. We have no grass growing here either due to the dry conditions, but thankfully we still have plenty of hay left from last year to feed ? with.

Hope today is a good day.

ginny Wed 21-Apr-21 08:23:16

Good Morning from a not too bright N. Bucks.
I’m hoping the sun wakes up as I’ve booked a garden table for lunch with DD3. DD will then collect DGS from school and we’ll spend a while at the local country park.
Pleased to hear that is Irisdoing well and hoping Cherry can find some solution .
I have been prescribed some compression stockings and it looks like I might spend some time this morning just trying to get them on !
Hope you all find a ?today.

LauraNorder Wed 21-Apr-21 08:21:15

Good morning Mick and all from Anglesey where the sky is grey but the sun is shining through making all the colours quite vibrant, looks beautiful.
Welcome back Sheepandcattle, Britain’s kindest most caring farmer ?‍?. I’m glad Bogdon has come good for you, hopefully you’ll at least get your money back. Sorry you’ve felt off, farming is not an easy life.
Lovely to hear that Iris is having the screw turning treatment grandMattie and hope all goes well.
Can you put the awning on eBay Susan, seems a shame to dump it when someone could make good use of it.
Hope you had a better night Cherry and am sending positive vibes for a solution to the problem. Do you have a decent MP? Don’t forget there are elections in the offing and they’ll be out to get your vote.
Thinking of Auntieflo, Grandmajet, Marydoll and all the rest of you with health worries, thinking too of GrannySomerset and others who are carers for loved ones, life ain’t easy.
Orlin is itching to go to B&Q for some tools he ‘just can’t manage without’. I must admit I’d quite like some shelf brackets as we have a nice scaffolding plank to go up as a shelf in the kitchen. We did the big farmhouse kitchen up with a modern island, units and silestone work tops, I have since worked my socks off to make it more country like again with baskets, wood shelves and farm like pictures.
I have been waltzing about up here making as much noise as possible so that Orlin knows I’m awake but my coffee hasn’t yet appeared, he must be outside. Probably started a new project, I’ll get up one morning and find a big garden pond, he does like to dig.
Ooh well, enough waffle from me. No doubt they’ll be ten new posts while I’ve been typing away.
Hope we all find a random pink flamingo ?, some sunshine ? and cupcake today.
Your Majesty. Happy Birthday ma’am ?

Gingster Wed 21-Apr-21 08:16:58

Post just disappeared! ?

Pittcity Wed 21-Apr-21 08:16:13

Good morning from Colchester. It was sunny but has now become more breezy and overcast.
I'll need a coat for the Wednesday meetup in the park after not needing it for a few days.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a DH who thinks he can do it when he really can't. I have left mine with a list to show the plumber and window man who are calling this morning while I'm out. He'll say, "she wants....." but is usually happy with the results.
We'll probably be going to landscaping showrooms this afternoon as well as the supermarket.

Much love to all x

Grammaretto Wed 21-Apr-21 08:14:07

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders where it is much colder than the weather forecast but perhaps it will warm up later. I live in a frost pocket.
It rained yesterday which is a good thing.
Great to hear mostly good news from the farm Sheep and from grandMattie about little Iris. How brave that small child is.
I have quite a busy day planned but not as busy as most of you sound!.