Gransnet forums

Chat

Ancestry dna ethnicity test

(19 Posts)
Clawdy Wed 21-Apr-21 21:38:38

Just had my results back. Mainly English, Irish and 10% Welsh. We'd heard a family story that our great grandad was an Orthodox Jew who lived with our great grandma, had three children with her but they never married. So disappointed it didn't seem to be true, according to the results! It did say 2% Basque, and apparently many Sephardic Jews came from there, but a great grandparent would be around 10%. Is it possible that if someone's family lived for a couple of hundred years in England, their ethnicity would show as English? Not sure how it works.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 21-Apr-21 22:36:27

You only get a selection of DNA from some of your Ancestors, to get a better idea of your ancestry any close family members should also do the DNA test, sisters, brothers, parents if still alive, then you will get a bigger picture.
My Welsh ancestry totally disappeared when they reran my tests. Even though I have Welsh ancestors, I now appear to be part Scottish, however I don’t have any close family left to take a test as well, so it remains a mystery.

BlueBelle Wed 21-Apr-21 22:41:52

My granddaughters Ancesrptry DNA showed no English at all but I ve done my family tree both sides back to 1690 and all were English so where’s my DNA gone in her ???

Clawdy Wed 21-Apr-21 23:16:24

Thanks, it's interesting to hear other people's experiences!

Grammaretto Wed 21-Apr-21 23:16:50

I compared mine with my sister's and we have more-or-less the same but in different amounts. I also had 2% Welsh which she didn't have and I think she was a little bit Scandinavian.
We were both a bit Jewish. I find it fascinating.

Grammaretto Wed 21-Apr-21 23:19:51

BlueBelle I don't have any English either. I am mostly Scottish/Irish. I know my gt grandmother's family were from Norfolk and have traced them back to the 1500s. Weird

Chestnut Wed 21-Apr-21 23:32:07

You'll get 50% of your DNA from your mother and 50% from your father, but that doesn't mean you will get exactly 25% from each of your four grandparents. Maybe you'll get 40% from one and 10% from another, which means you will be missing some DNA from one grandparent. However, a sibling may have the percentages the other way round, which is why it helps to have other family members tested.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Apr-21 04:33:11

granmaretto that’s really interesting thanks so much for answering, my Dad a Suffolk man I ve traced back to 1690 all English through and through didn’t move out the County
Mum, Leicestershire again gone back to nearly as far and all Leicestershire and Cambridgeshire and like you the only tiny U.K. my granddaughter has in her DNA test were Scottish and Irish (which we expected) so where am I in her DNA ? Not even 1% of me

Esspee Thu 22-Apr-21 07:14:36

DNA is a highly accurate science.
Working out ethnicity from the results is speculative and totally dependent on the company database. The more people tested the less inaccurate it will be. Do not bother to get tested if you are only interested in “ethnicity”, you are wasting your money.

nanna8 Thu 22-Apr-21 07:39:27

It also changes from time to time depending how many are doing it. I have suddenly acquired some French heritage which was interesting because I know that dated back before the fifteenth century and I didn’t think it would show up.

Chestnut Thu 22-Apr-21 18:14:21

What we have to ask ourselves is 'do we actually know anything?' apart from our DNA profile. I have a couple of unmarried village girls from the 1700s so I can't ever know who the father was. And anyone might unknowingly have an illegitimate child in their tree.

Boogaloo Thu 22-Apr-21 18:22:17

My DNA has been with 23&Me for about 10 years. I really like the updates and scientific research they do.

A few years before my father died I got him to send off a sample of his DNA. Now my dad and both sons are on 23&Me. My mother refused to do it.

What I find fascinating is that we have DNA relatives we are not all related to. We don't inherit the same genes.

Blossoming Thu 22-Apr-21 18:49:38

The results depend upon how many people are in the database. Mine has been pretty accurate so far. The closest connections are people I know about already, some 3rd cousins showed up and it was easy to see how we were related. I find it interesting to see how populations shifted, what their occupations were, etc.

M0nica Thu 22-Apr-21 18:53:45

I saw a review of these dna tests and the concensus was that as each is using a different database to assess the samples, while the high % results are reliable when it gets down to telling people they are 2% native Indian or 2% chinese, these results should be treated with caution ans when they ran tests, using samples from the same person the test results at the bottom end varied considerably from company to company

Clawdy Thu 22-Apr-21 19:58:48

In some ways I wish I'd not done it, because my sister and I always loved that suggestion of Jewish heritage, so the 2% Basque thing was a bit of a disappointment.

SueDonim Thu 22-Apr-21 21:31:11

Clawdy part of the way in which these tests work is comparing like for like. It’s possible no one from your GGF’s family has ever done a DNA test, so it wouldn’t show up.

Grammaretto Thu 22-Apr-21 22:44:42

MiL has always been fascinated by her Scottish/West Indian heritage. The DNA test showed she is 1% Central African. She was delighted.

Chestnut Thu 22-Apr-21 23:20:33

Clawdy

In some ways I wish I'd not done it, because my sister and I always loved that suggestion of Jewish heritage, so the 2% Basque thing was a bit of a disappointment.

As SueDonim says, much depends on whether anyone in that family has been tested. I am trying to find a DNA connection with my grandfather, but I don't think there are many living people in that line. Be patient and maybe you will find a connection in time.

Clawdy Fri 23-Apr-21 12:10:06

Thanks, so many helpful comments on here.