Gransnet forums

Chat

Allegedly, hanging one's washing out in the garden ruins the aesthetic look of the place [shock]

(178 Posts)
TerriBull Fri 23-Apr-21 15:19:47

So Edinburgh residents were told by a building developer. A "no washing outside" clause has been written into their title deeds. Completely unreasonable imo. Their gardens their private space!

Where would Naples be without it's washing ???

Any opinions on drying washing outside ? Personally I'm all in favour.

Cherrytree59 Fri 23-Apr-21 16:54:45

One of the great pleasures in life, a line of washing blowing in the breeze. (especially if belonging to babies and grandchildren)

2nd great pleasure the smell of outside dried laundry.

3rd sleeping on freshly laundered sheets.

Not all lockdowns tea in china could spoil that pleasure

sodapop Fri 23-Apr-21 16:58:07

I think Germany has some fairly strict rules about hanging washing out as well.
I agree with GrannySomerset on this. I used to love seeing a line of white nappies blowing in the wind in the days of terry nappies.

Dinahmo Fri 23-Apr-21 16:59:51

I remember when we moved from a flat to a house with a back garden. After many years of going to the launderette it was lovely to be able to hang out the washing, even though the house was a wreck and the garden a complete tip.

vampirequeen Fri 23-Apr-21 18:07:05

I share a communal garden. We all hang our washing out. The line runs from one end of it to the other (at least 150/200 feet).

Marydoll Fri 23-Apr-21 18:14:38

Oh dear. My whirly was full today, does that make me common? ?
I love the smell of sheets just off the line.

Chewbacca Fri 23-Apr-21 18:17:41

Some posh new builds near me have a designated rotary clothes drying area; discreetly tucked away so that no one can have a fit of the vapours when they see knickers blowing on the line. 4 rotary clothes lines for 20 x 5 bed detached houses and I've never seen any in use yet.

Kali2 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:23:34

So American! the Council should stop this. I often wonder what the effect would be in the USA, re energy savings, if people started to dry washing naturally- as almost 100% is dried by machine.

I wonder what the %age is here in the UK. I hve a dryer- I use it every blue moon.

M0nica Fri 23-Apr-21 18:33:35

When we were looking for our first house, we looked at a very nice development in Kent. We really liked it, planned to buy one from the next phase released by the developer, even started planning furnishing and decor in my mind.

We got the paperwork, including a list of covenants among which was washing was not to be hung in gardens at weekends. As a working woman, when else was I likely to want to hand up washing?

We didn't buy the house and went somewhere else completely to buy our first house.

Charleygirl5 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:34:19

Marydoll as common as muck and if like me you hang out underwear you lower the tone even more. Perhaps it is a good idea we do not live remotely close to each other- Glasgow thankfully is a distance from London.

I have been told not to hang washing out on a Sunday- I am not religious, do not go to church so I will do what I want, it is my private property.

SueDonim Fri 23-Apr-21 18:43:03

When we first moved to Scotland I was told not to hang out washing on a Sunday. ? When you’ve two small children, one in terry nappies, laundry seems to be a 24/7/356 operation!

We dry indoors here, as there are a lot of steps down to our garden but I love hanging out the washing at my son’s house in London. I even bought myself some nice fancy clothes pegs last time I visited. grin

Marydoll Fri 23-Apr-21 18:49:08

Charlie, I am religious and in Scotland, but still hang out washing on a Sunday. It is sinful to use a tumble dryer, when there is LARGE whirly begging to be used.
I'm a hussy into the bargain. All my and DH's underwear is displayed in all its glory!
I do have some pride, absolutely no grey undies on show!!! ?

ElaineI Fri 23-Apr-21 18:54:34

Actually Lucca it's not Morningside. It's Shandon and near Corstorphine. Cala and another builder. I too get my washing out as soon as possible - it's wind power in Scotland - very environmentally friendly.

foxie48 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:55:36

Goodness what's the world coming to? I never hang washing out, OH does, as he hates me using the tumble drier. I am too darn idle to hang washing, I'd just stick the socks on the aga to cook and tip the rest in the drier fortunately OH wants to save the planet. I'm banned from washing the horse stuff indoors since he put a washing machine in the stables and I can't even dry horse rugs on the aga as he says it stinks the place out so I do have to hang them out, they are very heavy and take ages to dry! Just try drying them in a garage! Honestly, people make stupid rules don't they?

Juliet27 Fri 23-Apr-21 18:59:03

I ignore the fact that I’m not supposed to hang washing out on a Sunday and I’ve not been struck down yet neither by neighbours nor by a higher being.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Apr-21 19:20:40

I'm confident that absolutely nothing could ruin the aesthetic of this area.

The council have managed to do that already.

Sara1954 Fri 23-Apr-21 19:22:52

As soon as the weather permits, all my washing is out on the line, I love to see it, it smells of fresh air, and if anyone asked me to take it down, they wouldn’t get a very polite reply.
I had absolutely no ideas such rules could be imposed.

jusnoneed Fri 23-Apr-21 19:23:18

Any of the 365/6 days in the year when weather is suitable the washing goes out on the line here, including undies etc lol. It's been lovely for the last month or so to put it out around 8am and fetch it back in all nice and dry at lunchtime. We haven't had rain for ages. It surprises me how many young families never have laundry out.

Wouldn't buy a property with such a daft clause.
It's a bit like a big new development here has the say on what broadband provider the home owners can use, one company and of course very expensive. Then folk moaned about it after they'd purchased the houses.

Redhead56 Fri 23-Apr-21 19:29:43

I have sisters who live in Jersey they have rules there about clothes lines and planters etc. I would not live somewhere that had restrictions like that. I have really enjoyed this fine weather for laundry it smells lovely straight off the washing line.

Savvy Fri 23-Apr-21 19:42:32

Being on a limited income, and living in a flat with a ridiculously small kitchen, I have neither the desire or space for a tumble drier.

The sunshine is free, electricity is not. I'll hang my washing out when I please.

Helen657 Fri 23-Apr-21 19:44:10

My DH always hated that I did my washing & drying at weekends - he worked away mon-fri, & me working full time with children & 2hrs commute meant i didn’t have time to wash/dry in the week. We moved house 20 years ago, a tumble dryer & new drying maiden magically appeared at the new house, the whirly gig mysteriously disappeared, & I’ve not put my washing out since, lol.

MissAdventure Fri 23-Apr-21 19:45:19

Same for me.
I simply cannot keep up unless I'm able to at least partially dry washing.

Funnygran Fri 23-Apr-21 19:49:22

I don’t know when I last used my tumble dryer. If it’s fine my washing goes out on the whirly and like others have said bedding and towels smell lovely dried outside. DH often quotes his late mother who would announce ‘it’s a good drying day’ and get her glass rubbing board out. My own mother used to love the sheets to freeze solid as she said they were whiter when they froze. Could never see the logic in that but she could!

MissAdventure Fri 23-Apr-21 19:51:38

My mum used to rush to wash out her net curtains so she could hang them out if there was a frost.
She said it kept them white, and they were immaculate.

M0nica Fri 23-Apr-21 19:55:25

I have never had a tumble dryer, I usually hang washing on an outside line, but have usually had somewhere under cover to dry clothes, a utility area or a central heating boiler in an alcove with a rack round it or, currently a very wide internal garage with space for a drying rack beside my car.

Tusue Fri 23-Apr-21 20:03:50

Line dried washing is the best.
I had an aunt who lived in Naples Florida who came to visit me when I gave birth to my son many years ago, I was about to put my washing outside on the line and she begged me to let her do it . She was British,had moved to the states in the late 60’s and lived on a beautiful estate where hanging out washing was absolutely not allowed. I remember she sat contentedly watching the baby clothes dancing in the breeze and she buried her nose in the fresh linen when she brought them in for me later, it was something she really missed.